Thinking of buying 1500 laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
i’m new to ram trucks owned the other brands....just curious what are the opinion of fellow members.
Are they reliable ?
This is a build i’m thinking about ...comments are appreciated.
View attachment 493016
Love my '19 Laramie. I tow an RV so the air suspension is worth it's cost easily. Also get the Ram boxes, greatest storage idea on pickups in decades. Smart not getting optional wheels. Make sure you are getting the read end ratio you need. Are you going to tow. Ram.com website has great towing charts. Getting a discount these days, go for it.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Not true. Air suspension hasn’t been a problem since it was redesigned for 5th gens. We own two 5th gens with it, and we live where it gets cold in winter.

@2006m5, you might want to consider upgrading the fuel tank size to 33 gallon, but otherwise it looks like a solid build.
I missed that, for sure he wants to get the 33 gallon tank. Should be standard equipment and throw out the smaller

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is durability overall on these trucks...would you say the engine is bulletproof ?
I'm on my third RAM Longhorn and all had the 5.7 and air suspension ... Haven't had a problem with the engine or suspension ... The only issues I encountered were sending unit in the gas tank, bad valve body on the transmission, and a defective battery ... Every single issue covered under warranty and once fixed, no more problem ... As for the 'Hemi tick', if you use a good oil you should have no issue with it ... Everyone prefers their own brand, and my choice is an Extended Performance Synthetic, either Mobil 1 or Castrol ... Good luck with your decision ...

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Love my '19 Laramie. I tow an RV so the air suspension is worth it's cost easily. Also get the Ram boxes, greatest storage idea on pickups in decades. Smart not getting optional wheels. Make sure you are getting the read end ratio you need. Are you going to tow. Ram.com website has great towing charts. Getting a discount these days, go for it.
As someone pointed out below, for sure get the 33 gallon tank. And my (short) wife loves the auto floorboards

Tims2020Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had nothing but issues with my 2020 and my experience from their service department has been horrible. It has been in the shop several times and going back again shortly. Will be trading it in before the extended warranty is up and not buying a Ram again.

Coach_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I have a 2022 Laramie with a similar package. I didn't plan to get a Ram. I honestly was looking for a midsized truck. This is my first NEW truck purchase. Sure I had looked at some of the other brand's full-sized trucks but never really thought I'd need a 1/2 ton. So I went around looking. I drove Toyo's, F's, Nissan's, etc... and ended up in a Jeep/Ram dealership. Drove the Gladiator. Meh. not bad. Then the salesman suggested a Laramie. I almost left but I had extra time so I went ahead. Drove it. Didn't look back. I had no idea what I was missing.
The one thing I wish I had done differently was to get the 33gal tank and the wireless charger. Otherwise, I am super happy with the rig. No issues besides a learning curve and the price of gas. lol!
I keep finding more I like about it. This month has been super rainy and I work outside as a coach every day of the week. For the first time ever I was able to jump in the back seat and put on all my rain gear BEFORE getting out of the truck. Heated and Cooled seats after a wet or hot training day! Lifesaver. The ability to haul around gear for training or games securely has been a gamechanger....
I haven't had mine for long and it isn't like the top of the line but I am sold. I can't see myself getting anything else in the future.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
If you keep it maintained, it will be just fine. I bought a 3.6 v6 and gave up a Limited hemi. The issue with the tic on the v8 is a lubrication issue. I would definitely buy an extended warranty. I bought an AUL warranty which is 150k and no time limit. Definitely go Laramie. You get a lot of bang for the buck. I have had several with air suspension and it is covered on most extended warranties but check before you sign. Enjoy it and it will enjoy you. I am disabled and put a bedslider in. you can look online and they are neat. The tray slides out and you put your stuff on it and slide it back in.

gfviperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
124K on my 2011 Hemi Laramie. No issues ... have oil analysis done by Brookstaone labs ... engine is excdllent ... just change the oil regularly and drive on ...

fender_fella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a Laramie, and I love it, but after joining this forum I see that I got F@&KED on the price. Bad.

Oh well

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
124K on my 2011 Hemi Laramie. No issues ... have oil analysis done by Brookstaone labs ... engine is excdllent ... just change the oil regularly and drive on ...
I think you meant to say Blackstone Labs. :waytogo:

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
I'm surprised at Exdeus's rec to get the 3.21 rear if towing. That is opposite of all I heard/read before and since buying mine. Everything I've seen is to go with 3.92 of you do much towing. Just did first tow trip with ours last week towing our Grand Design Transcend MK200 - around 6K lbs. The ecodiesel with 3.92 did a great job - much improved over the 2016 w/hemi I traded in. Improved capability and MUCH better mpg.
You are so correct - that was absolutely a typo. You want the 3.92 for towing...NOT the 3.21. Thanks for catching that. I'll edit my comment too.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
avanti are you happy with your delmonico color?
I’m in my 2nd Delmonico Red Ram. Looking at calling my dealer this week to spec out a 22 to order. It’ll be Delmonico Red too. It’s a color that needs to be kept clean to appreciate it though.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Traded up from a 2007 Ford F-150, substantial upgrade in ride comfort with air suspension. Good pick there!

Gommer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500, 2018 2500
Engine
5.7 and 6.7
My only three complaints for the Ram are:
1) I won't ever own an eTorque again. Long list of reasons why.
2) Don't use the auto-brake for front/rear sensors feature. It really slammed on the brakes for me several times for absolutely no apparent reason. Ended up disabling it. But still very glad to have the audible warnings.
3) The stock shocks are ok but when I upgraded to bilstiens it was like driving a caddy. Huge difference for not a lot of $.

Otherwise, loved the truck. Ended up selling it to get a 1-ton to tow a bigger camper.