Thinking of buying 2019 ram Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited, Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hipzippy

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the ram forums. I have never owned a Ram truck before but I have owned a couple of Dodge's in the past, 2005 Magnum and 2012 Durango, but now I really want to try out a Ram 1500 truck. I have been looking at 2019 Laramie's, Laramie Longhorns, and Limited's. My two main stipulations are that I want the 12 inch infotainment system and the adaptive cruise control. I usually own a vehicle for 7 to 10 years and I live in New England. The main thing that worries me about purchasing a Limited is the air suspension. After 5 to 7 years of New England weather does anyone think that I will have issues with the air suspension? I am worried about both issues from the cold, and issues from adding miles and time. I hear about issues with air suspension all the time. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Secondly, does the Laramie Longhorn have the air suspension as an option or was that standard? In a perfect world I would be able to find a 2019 Laramie with the adaptive cruise control AND 12inch infotainment and then I won't have to worry about the air suspension. My price range only allows me to look for a used 2019, hoping to find something in the 40k miles range.

Then on to pricing. I have been reading how some people over paid for their Ram 1500 trucks. Prices in this area are all over the place for that year on those 3 models. If I was to find a 2019 Ram Laramie, or Laramie Longhorn, or Limited, with around 40-50k miles with the adaptive cruise AND 12inch infotainment what would be a fair price?

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Air suspension is optional on all but limited. Limited it is on all of them. I haven’t owned mine long enough to know of long term issues. I like the suspension, it rides great. I can lower it under my trailer and raise it up, not much or no cranking. May cost a couple thousand to replace in 10 year period, just live with that and be ready for it. My sense is if you are considering a 2019 high end truck, $1000 in 5-10 years is not going to force your bankruptcy. If it is you wouldn’t be considering such an expensive vehicle. Get a truck that you like and will make you happy. Your fuel bill is going to dwarf any possible air suspension repair issues in a 10 year ownership time frame anyways!

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn fully loaded and haven’t had any issues that you’re worried about since I got it toward the beginning of Covid derangement syndrome. I bought it used with just over 16000 miles and before the prices went crazy. Love the Adaptive Cruise Control, 12 inch screen and, and Air Suspension. In addition to all the leather everywhere and the attention to detail with all the engraving everywhere. It’s my first truck and and I don’t regret it at all. Hope this helps in your search.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The longhorn and limited interiors are really nice, full stop. They are exceptionally well done compared to other pickup trucks. Another thing to look at hipzippy… the limited came with the larger fuel cell in later years, not entirely sure about ‘19, but those extra 7 gallons can be helpful if you have no preference in the interior style. Limited are easy to find. Longhorn not so much, longhorn with big fuel tank may be really tough. These are thirsty trucks.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Mine is a 19 Laramie with the 8.4 and air suspension, no issues with the suspension so far.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have found the air suspension seems to add a layer of complexity. A lot of the threads I have seen seem to be that the air system gets condensation in it and can cause failures in the cold. And since not a lot of trucks have it, it might be hit and miss on the service side getting someone who knows the system.

My 2500 has it on the rear only. Its nice for towing different loads, cause you can slightly change the ride height. It was an option on my longhorn package. I know the 1500s have it on both front and rear.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Air suspension is optional on all but limited. Limited it is on all of them. I haven’t owned mine long enough to know of long term issues. I like the suspension, it rides great. I can lower it under my trailer and raise it up, not much or no cranking. May cost a couple thousand to replace in 10 year period, just live with that and be ready for it. My sense is if you are considering a 2019 high end truck, $1000 in 5-10 years is not going to force your bankruptcy. If it is you wouldn’t be considering such an expensive vehicle. Get a truck that you like and will make you happy. Your fuel bill is going to dwarf any possible air suspension repair issues in a 10 year ownership time frame anyways!
I have a 2012 laramie limited, it does not have air ride unless thats something they started later.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive never had air suspension but i would think its like everything else, good maintenance, dont beat them down with a ton of weight, adjust them ever so often to keep everything working and might last for ya. But ive never had any

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you get a lot of below freezing weather and you park the truck outside, Air Ride would not be my choice. If you park it in a heated garage, not nearly the same amount of issues.

When I ordered my 2500 Laramie, I specifically stayed away from air suspension and adaptive cruise. I use my trucks off pavement a lot and I don't want the active braking system that comes with the adaptive cruise, hammering the brakes on when it sees tall grass.

Definitely get Blind spot monitoring and cross path detection. In town, and for backing out of stalls at the mall they are a great feature. Due to Chip shortages I could not get that when I ordered, have it on the wife's Jeep. Don't drive the pickup in town much and the trailer mirrors do cover the blind spot well, so not too bad, still wish I had it.

goldy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2019 long horn Laramie, 4wd,3.92 lifted. No problems with truck except the radio screen (smaller one think 8 inches) is demarking some just outside of warranty. Still operates but nevertheless it might need replacing soon

my 2 cents

Love the truck

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I wonder if some issues stem from operational requirements in the Owner's Manual. Since COVID happened many people let their trucks sit for days (or longer) during quarantine and even now teleworking; and the Owner's Manual says that if you have air suspension you need to run the truck at least once a day.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I had a 2020 Limited loaded. Would buy one in a second again if I needed a truck. I used the air suspension multiple times daily and never had an issue.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
If you live in an area that is 32 degree F or less don't waste your money.