Thinking of buying a new truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karkrafter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking of replacing my 2007 and I'm on a steep learning curve here...what are the advantages to getting a 'Classic' truck?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's basically a 4th gen truck.

What Maddog said, they've been making them since the model year 2009 so they've been around for a long time.

The 5th generation that started in 2019 is newer redesigned body style, but they didn't stop making the 4th gen once that happened, they just started labeling them as "classic".

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Thinking of replacing my 2007 and I'm on a steep learning curve here...what are the advantages to getting a 'Classic' truck?

Cheaper
Less gadgetry, if you like that.
Different aesthetics, if you like that.

Many of us prefer the 4th Gen body to the 5th Gen, which sort of evokes a Tundra got crossbred into the line.

5th gen interior is pretty universally acclaimed to be better looking, though.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So its not a mechanical thing...

I think the only real difference mechanically is the option for eTorque "enhanced" hemi on the 5th Gen, which I don't believe you can get on the Classic. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come point and laugh shortly.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So its not a mechanical thing...

Not really, just a generational thing as with any make of car that moves from one generation to the next. Usually that generation just ceases once the new one comes along but that isn't the case here, as the classic is still being offered for the 22 model year.

As mentioned the etorque is one difference but not everyone cares about that. You can also get a rear locker in most (maybe all?) 5th gens whereas I don't believe you can in a classic. However, you can still opt for the anti spin rear. Other than that it's cosmetics, new style exterior and interior.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
Not just cosmetic.

The cab on the 5th Gen is significantly different (bigger) if that matters to you

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
There is a HUGE mechanical difference!! The 5th Gen RAM has a coil spring rear suspension compared to a leaf-spring suspension on the 4th Gen. The ride is AMAZING! It rides like an Imperial on the highway (and climbs like a Rubicon when off-road)! I've got a 4x4 with the Off-Road package and it's still the nicest riding vehicle that I own.

It also has acoustic glass and automatic noise canceling that creates one of the most quiet interiors that I've ever experienced. The wife drives an Infiniti and we have a C7 Corvette and our "go to" vehicle is the RAM DT 1500 4x4 Off-Road! Drive them both: a good long test drive on a highway. The 5th Gen is a completely different vehicle.

As for things that I don't like about the 5th Gen (and am not sure about on the 4th Gen) is the idiotic rotary shifter (the engineers/designers forgot to take into account the calming peripheral vision feedback that a shift lever -- whether on the column or the console -- offers to a driver. One doesn't ever have to take their eyes off the road to know what gear your in with a shift lever; you can check with a hand or see it with your peripheral vision.) But overall, I love my 5th Gen!

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the 1500's, they both have coil springs. Also on the 1500's starting in 2014 came the rotary shift knob along with the 8 speed transmission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the 1500's, they both have coil springs. Also on the 1500's starting in 2014 came the rotary shift knob along with the 8 speed transmission.

2013* on that, had one actually. Regular cab short box sport just like yours. That was my last regular cab and I do miss those days, it was just more fun to drive.

Agree with everyone else about the coils on the 4th gens, and I didn't see some night and day difference in ride between the 4th/5th gen and I had 3 4th gens prior to buying my 21. Never understood the rotary complaint in terms of needing to look at it to shift, haven't had a problem like that at all. Pretty easy to feel for it just like I would a regular shifter, although the higher trim levels have the dial made of a different material so it's very easy to tell what you're reaching for.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a 2019 classic. At the dealer it was parked next to a new body 2019 5th gen truck. So I was able to be a real side by side comparison.

The 5th gen seemed larger inside, and the dash was a bit more modern looking. But the engine and transmission were the same. Both rode about the same, though the 5th gen seemed heavier and a little more bulky.

My 4th gen Classic had leather seats, spray in bed liner and a $1000 roll up tonneau cover. The 5th gen had none of this. Also, the classic was $3,500 cheaper than the 5th gen, and had 10,000 less miles.

So it was a no brained for me. Less money, lots more options and less miles….couldn’t resist.

This is my 3rd Ram and I love it. Smooth ride, reasonable mpg, and good looks…..I personally prefer the classic body style to the 5th gen.

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
No. Both have coil spring rears. The 1500 had coils starting in 2009, the 2500 and 3500 in 2014.
I stand corrected. When I bought my 2020 RAM there was lots of fanfare about the ride of the new DT model and I assumed incorrectly that was due to the shift to coil springs in the rear. I'll learn to keep my trap shut about models of which I do not own or have factual experience. Sorry.

But the ride of the new DT model is still the nicest ride of any vehicle I own. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963