Thinking of buying a newer ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David DeSau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Liter Diesel
Right now I have 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4 Diesel, bought new it has 51,650 miles on it. I have advertised it on Craigslist - and I am looking at newer Rams. I went online for Rams to avoid. The page came up that said to avoid 2006-2007 and 2012-2015 .

Any reason for that - what have others discovered as to years to avoid ?

I am asking 25 K for my Dodge - it is a SLT extra cab, with 8 ft bed, camper special with air bags on the rear
air adjustable shocks, ARE canopy, 51,650 miles, 5.9L Cummins, with Michelin Load Range E Tires in excellent condition. I realize it is a high amount, but similar 2500's with similar mileage are in that price range.

Even though I would like a new truck I can't justify 45-60K for a truck .

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I had a 2013 Ram sport, it never let me down. I had no trouble with it besides the exhaust manifold leak that was covered under warranty. I traded it in with 130,000kms on it for a 2017 Sport because i wanted a crew cab. I know many of my co-workers driving 12-15's and they also have no issues. My friend has 330,000kms on a '12, he also had no issues with the truck itself. Just one of his side steps broke due to corrosion.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2007 they have the last yr of the 5.9 an first yr of the 6.7. Imo why sell your truck to buy only a 4-5 yr newer truck? I know yours is a second gen but still the yrs you mentioned are getting long in the tooth themselves.

Burninfuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My buddy just bought new 2018 hemi 2500. Can't keep the battery charged. Dealers isn't helping and has been there several time and can't find the problem.
Electronic are the problem, dash lights come on and don't turn off or on and off . I found this forum and 12 pages of problems with this issue.
do a search. ramforum.com/threads/dash-lights-and-backlight-for-instrument-led-screen-wont-go-out.64319/page-3
parked for days and goes to use it and battery is dead, warranty will cover a new battery but dealer needs to order and takes many weeks. So bought new at retail store and that one is dead after being parked for several days.
Less than 2000 miles.

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be curious why you'd want to sell such a low milage truck.
Assuming rust is under control and mechanically sound....I'd keep it.

That said, I have several RV friends that buy a new truck every 3-4 years.....I run the wheels off mine.

My 04 2500 has 138k.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
My buddy just bought new 2018 hemi 2500. Can't keep the battery charged. Dealers isn't helping and has been there several time and can't find the problem.
Electronic are the problem, dash lights come on and don't turn off or on and off . I found this forum and 12 pages of problems with this issue.
do a search. ramforum.com/threads/dash-lights-and-backlight-for-instrument-led-screen-wont-go-out.64319/page-3
parked for days and goes to use it and battery is dead, warranty will cover a new battery but dealer needs to order and takes many weeks. So bought new at retail store and that one is dead after being parked for several days.
Less than 2000 miles.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Had the same problem with mine but only AFTER I installed a cassette player and at times inadvertently hit the on button. The draw would kill the battery after 3 days. Every headache I had was because of after market add on parts.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I'd be curious why you'd want to sell such a low milage truck.
Assuming rust is under control and mechanically sound....I'd keep it.

That said, I have several RV friends that buy a new truck every 3-4 years.....I run the wheels off mine.

My 04 2500 has 138k.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I do not understand why so many buy a new truck after a few short years. I consider after about at least five years, one is familiar with it. I have 300,000 km on mine and have a "Law of Entropy" record on when cycles to failure manifest with serp belts, alternators, tension pulleys, etc . All kinks are gone and the truck was dependable before, but now I fully have a grasp on the reality of its limitations, its strengths, and everything about it. This 2008 4WD 5.7 hemi six on the floor has not let me down in the Colorado Rockies in winter nor on any of my USA trips, some driving over 12000 MILES like my Pacific west coast trip and north to south jaunt at the same time inclusive.
It is used as a work truck and in the woods too. It has no rear bumper now, and pinch joint rear fender rust. The way I work it is when it gets really bad, I put serious money into it to repair/replace body panels, install unique custom bumpers, and a professional paint job making it good as new. That way in a decade and a half I own an immaculate unique one of a kind truck with few others of that year around. Current ownership cost of purchase is a mere $242. a month average and in another 9 years that will drop to $133.00 Does not count on maintenance costs but these are low. Put new front end in with grease fitting joints last year cost four grand with 4 wheel alignment but that is good for 11 years hard work from truck and ONLY major repair. This truck makes me money and I target ownership for at least ten to fifteen more years OR MORE. I will keep putting $ into it until frame dissolves but I am on that now with yearly oil sprays. Money saved is phenomenal. Love the truck. If engine goes will replace with custom b@bp, larger valves, rebore, etc all for more power and using $$$ I saved from not buying new every few years. This engine upgrade will be more of a hit to me than buying a new one. Nobody will have what I will have which is a custom truck upgraded as things wear out. Professionals would do this work. This truck will stay as my major runner as long as I am able to drive.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I've never kept any new vehicle longer than three years but I think I'm going to break that record for the first time. New vehicles and higher interest rates have finally hit the point for me where they're no longer worth the money. In the past I just wanted something new every couple years and din't give a damn about the payment but now its a different story. I guess we all grow up at different times.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
06-08 I see no problem with, so long as they kept up the maintenance. They are known for transmission failures, especially in 5.7ltr HEMI models. '12 and up are plagued with the same transmission problems, and when the 8-speed was introduced the reputation only got worse. Electrical systems are prone to issues as well. With the newer models comes more and more electronics, and even the 2019 RAM trucks are already having e-torque system failures, mileage seems to vary. If you want a reliable Dodge, stick with the 5.9 Cummins.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
06-08 I see no problem with, so long as they kept up the maintenance. They are known for transmission failures, especially in 5.7ltr HEMI models. '12 and up are plagued with the same transmission problems, and when the 8-speed was introduced the reputation only got worse. Electrical systems are prone to issues as well. With the newer models comes more and more electronics, and even the 2019 RAM trucks are already having e-torque system failures, mileage seems to vary. If you want a reliable Dodge, stick with the 5.9 Cummins.
The trans in the Cummins are garbage too

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
The trans in the Cummins are garbage too
That's true, however I would love to have a Cummins truck because it eliminates most of the problems that come with the gas engines. Such as 4.7 sludge, 5.7 valvetrain ticks, the horrible ign. coils that rip off every time you go to replace the plugs, 4.7 head gasket problems, etc. Also the power steering system is garbage from the factory across the board on the Ram's. And the fact that the HEMI and the high output version of the 4.7 have sixteen plugs. Sucks to replace 'em

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's true, however I would love to have a Cummins truck because it eliminates most of the problems that come with the gas engines. Such as 4.7 sludge, 5.7 valvetrain ticks, the horrible ign. coils that rip off every time you go to replace the plugs, 4.7 head gasket problems, etc. Also the power steering system is garbage from the factory across the board on the Ram's. And the fact that the HEMI and the high output version of the 4.7 have sixteen plugs. Sucks to replace 'em
I’ve never had a problem with my 5.7 the 4 times I’ve changed plugs an I’m on the orignal set from 9/03 lol, an it cost like $30-$40 to change plugs still not that bad imo. You just sound salty cause you got a 4.7 an well they suck.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I’ve never had a problem with my 5.7 the 4 times I’ve changed plugs an I’m on the orignal set from 9/03 lol, an it cost like $30-$40 to change plugs still not that bad imo. You just sound salty cause you got a 4.7 an well they suck.
I've had few problems with my truck. Most everything I've replaced wasn't because it was bad, think of it as preventative maintenance. Where I live, I only break a coil on occasion. Not a big deal for me. I'm speaking for those who are located where the climate is harder on plastics/rubbers and rust is more of a problem. For me, in northwest Arkansas, rust isn't a problem nor is plastic and rubber degradation.

Forgot to add that I change my spark plugs more frequently than most. 20,000 miles is the longest I've ever let a set of plugs run.

PS. The 4.7 isn't a bad engine. It's bad when the ignorant don't understand how to keep up with their maintenance, just like any other engine out there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963