Thinking of getting '19 Rebel

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Rebel Forum' started by TimB18, May 8, 2018.

1. TimB18

TimB18 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Well I'm finally making the move from car to a truck. Have some experience driving an ol' '90 Chevy Silverado.
    I'm very interested in building a '19 Dodge Rebel, but I have a few concerns that I'm hoping people here can help answer. I suppose another option is Laramie, but leaning more towards rebel due to color/looks.

My first concern are the tires as I would be using the truck mainly on-road(daily driver, 2.5hr trips highway, vacation trips 600 some miles). I have read that the stock tires have trouble getting traction on the pavement. Has anyone experienced a lack of traction?

How does the truck handle at 70-75mph? Is there a lot of vibration?

Finally, is it worth it getting the air suspension? More problems than its worth or the coil springs just fine?

I appreciate any input.

usaf2006 likes this.
  2. yillbs

yillbs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I can't speak to the rebel itself, but those tires are not going to cause any noises or vibrations at 70MPH. As for the coil vs air. This is a preference thing. If you will be towing, or going offroad, go with your coil suspension. if you just want a realy good ride and plan to make it a pavement princess, then go with the air!

3. TimB18

TimB18 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thx for the reply. Yeah it'll mainly be on the road, but I'm going to have fun off-road when I see opportunities lol. I'll stick with the air ride suspension then. Great news to hear bout the tires.
    My last vehicle '11 Mustang took 5 1/2 weeks to build. Fun being able to track its progress via railcar and truck for delivery.
    I figure if your going to spend this much $$ might as well wait and get just what you want.

I plan on getting an exhaust system, and I'm wondering how that would affect the noise dampening system through the stereo. Probably a way to turn that off.

usaf2006 likes this.
  4. Hemimania

Hemimania Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I've heard one problem with the air suspension, it's EXPENSIVE to repair. Might sway your decision. Looks beautiful as far as the looks of the '19 go.

5. usaf2006

usaf2006 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just drove 1200+ miles in my '17 Rebel a week ago. Drive was super comfy. Stayed going 73mph through 45 minutes of HEAVY rain and it felt as surefooted as it was on dry pavement. No vibrations at all above 70mph. I love this thing!

6. unxpctd

unxpctd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram Rebel
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I did my first long trip in my '17 Rebel back in February. Minnesota to southern California. Never missed a beat.

Upcoming trips:

September: Minnesota to northern Montana (Glacier National Park) and then into BC (Banff/Jasper National Parks). Should be a 3300 miles round trip.

October: Minnesota to Memphis then the Florida panhandle and back through Texas Should be about 3000 miles round trip.

Can't wait! Love traveling in this thing. Love the extra room in the cab and storage in the back. I also have the Ramboxs for tons of extras. I have the air suspension and don't tow with my truck though.

Good luck!