Thinking of purchasing new ram 3500 dually 6.7 Ho and aisin transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riverboy460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok please anyone who owns a 3500 dually please help me out. I used to work for dodge Chrysler jeep back in 2007-2008 as a heavy line mechanic and level 4 transmission mechanic. I had a 03 ram1500 I bought new and then traded it in back in 2012 for a 1999 f350 with 7.3. I recently sold it to pay off debt and now I'm wanting to get a ram 3500 crew cab dually as loaded as I can afford on my military pay. What do you all think of yours? good mileage? any mechanical issues I should know about? I see a lot of these for sale used as a current model year with low miles which scares me thinking they are problematic. I haven't dealt with Def yet as my older diesel truck was no emissions. any help is appreciated. I'm thinking of getting 4:10s since I tow an older 31 foot 5er and also add the 50 gallon fuel tank.

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2018 Laramie dually I traded had the aisin and 4.10s and the fuel mileage drops for sure compared to the standard gears. It was a solid truck but I only put 22k miles on it. I towed a 40ft 5ver with no issues but the towing capacity on the newer trucks are quite a bit more now even than 2018. A SRW 3500 is rated over 23-26k now which can handle pretty much any but the most blinged out RVs. if I were buying now I would stick with a SRW and be able to drive through anywhere I want and not worry about my hips.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great truck for towing but good mpg? Yeah, no.

If looking used avoid the 19-20 trucks as they have the CP4 fuel pump which is prone to failure and an expensive failure at that. 21+ trucks went back to a CP3.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My '20 Laramie gets better mileage than my '17 Laramie did. The '20 is a lot more "refined". Excellent truck. Best move I ever did was sell the '17 and get the '20. The '20 has a lot more towing options available.

jpin9b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
I didn't get the dually but I got the '21 3500, long bed, crew cab w/ HO Cummins. I got it back at the end of April and probably down to about 1/3 of a tank on the DEF. I just bought some DEF to put in but have not yet. I was concerned about it but it has not been an issue... YET. The single rear wheel didn't have the option of 4.1 with the HO Cummins, only the gasser did. It has massive torque and really gets up and goes though. I got the 50 gallon tank as well - I try to keep it topped off before it gets below 1/2 tank in order to take some of the sting out of refueling LOL. I know mine's not exactly what you have in mind but it's pretty close and I've been very happy with it so far.

WhoKnows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I just reluctantly upgraded from my 2018 2500 6.4 to a 2021 dually with the HO and 3.7 rear and long bed. Great truck but I do miss my gasser. It was a screamer and hauled my 42ft 5vr with no issues. The ABS module went and dealer already had 6 on back order and no idea when they would get on. Because I tow I had to do something so I traded it. Great truck but I am looking at a few mods, like Banks Ram Air and EGR delete. I still plan on keeping the exhaust for now, I don't want to "roll coal". I want better mpg. I haven't towed with it just yet but sure that I won't ever realize that I am towing.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I have a 2021 3500H.O., Aisin and 4:10 gear. The thing is a beast. Trim level is Laramie with most toys. I only have 2700 some miles on mine but 1000 of that is towing my 5er at just under 16k. Around 11-12 towing, as high as 19 empty so far. I can hyper mile but I usually blow it by having to merge from short on ramps(big truck gets up and scoots when needed). The truck really distinguishes itself when pulling though. I also run exhaust brake at all times. I dont look at the fuel pump when filling the 50 gallon tank. Just pay the bill. If you can swing it, get the beast,you will not regret and your truck will pull, haul anything you need it to. I traded my 17 2500 CTD crew cab short box for this truck and glad I did, no regrets.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I didn't get the dually but I got the '21 3500, long bed, crew cab w/ HO Cummins. I got it back at the end of April and probably down to about 1/3 of a tank on the DEF. I just bought some DEF to put in but have not yet.
Unloaded the DEF usage is light, once you start towing heavy you might want to keep a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF in the bed. Typical DEF usage about 1% - 2% of the amount of fuel burned.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My truck is GEN4, but it is the long bed 3500 with the HO engine and aisin trans. I have 3.73 gears in mine. I only use it to tow my 14,500 pound fifth wheel. Other than the 14 recalls, the truck has been solid. The stock nexen (junk) front tires lost their belts at 14k miles, so that is one thing that was a minus. My average mileage while towing is around 10.

Jankyl29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not on here much any more but ill throw my 2 cents in..
2021 SRW 3500 HO 4x4 crew cab. 16,000 Miles so far.
Coming from a 7.3 Ford and a 5.9 2nd gen, really anything less than 10k. behind the truck isn't really that noticeable at all to me. Exhaust brake and engine braking with the aisin on declines is great.
Towing 10k I get about 12mpg average.
I did have 1 issue with DEF. I usually fill up at truck stops. After filling DEF at a Loves my dash lit up with warning lights and lockout n 150 miles. Instead of a tow to dealer I drained DEF tank and refilled with "blue def" from a jug. I no longer fill up st truck stops now.

OP
OP
R

riverboy460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all thanks for the replies. I am still waiting to purchase as a lot of dealers think these trucks are worth gold charging over msrp up to 10k over which is rediculois. I'm active duty military and can not afford these price gouging dealers. they are making killings off of people. great that everyone else can afford to pay that I unfortunately sold my 99 f350 in June and still haven't been able to buy what I want or need. driving a cheap ****** car until prices calm down a bit. one dealer thought they were doing me a favor by saying we will sell u one at sticker and give me 1500 off for being military. wish ram would put there foot down and charge these dealers more for less profit. dealership owners foe this.. they have been on the news etc saying ita been record sales for them and most profit ever earned. leaving us hard working underpaid service members waiting for prices to come down. I cannot afford a 1500 a month car payment. mean while the money I sold the truck for went to paying off debt and caused me from being unable to take daughter camping this yr due to no tow vehicle. would have never sold if I knew dealers were being like this. lesson learned everyone do homework before selling your vehicle.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard several folks say they ordered new trucks from Mark Dodge in Lake Charles Louisiana...and getting well under MSRP prices. Maybe research that a little bit, if going to Louisiana works for you. They say this is the guy to talk to...

[email protected]

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Common problem people are running into. They see big dollar signs when they get a generous offer for their current used vehicle not realizing they are going to spend much much more for the new one.
I can get way more then what my vehicle is really worth right now but at the end of the day I'm paying way more for the new one so it's not really a "deal"

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Common problem people are running into. They see big dollar signs when they get a generous offer for their current used vehicle not realizing they are going to spend much much more for the new one.
I can get way more then what my vehicle is really worth right now but at the end of the day I'm paying way more for the new one so it's not really a "deal"

Ideally you would place an order with a place like Mark Dodge that is still discounting decently, and then when the truck was getting close to being built, sell your current vehicle to the highest bidder.

I did that back in March-June this past spring, did lose the trade in sales tax credit but with a good discount on the new (16% off msrp w/0% financing) and a ridiculous amount I got from my old truck (thanks autonation) I didn't mind losing that trade in credit one bit.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Ok please anyone who owns a 3500 dually please help me out. I used to work for dodge Chrysler jeep back in 2007-2008 as a heavy line mechanic and level 4 transmission mechanic. I had a 03 ram1500 I bought new and then traded it in back in 2012 for a 1999 f350 with 7.3. I recently sold it to pay off debt and now I'm wanting to get a ram 3500 crew cab dually as loaded as I can afford on my military pay. What do you all think of yours? good mileage? any mechanical issues I should know about? I see a lot of these for sale used as a current model year with low miles which scares me thinking they are problematic. I haven't dealt with Def yet as my older diesel truck was no emissions. any help is appreciated. I'm thinking of getting 4:10s since I tow an older 31 foot 5er and also add the 50 gallon fuel tank.
So, did you finally purchase a Ram 3500 Dually? If so, how do you like it?

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

If you haven't bought already, this is a good time to work a deal on 2022s. I bought my '19 on Jan 31st, 2020. It was already marked down $10K and because I was there on the last day of the month (hungry for one more sale for their quota) I got another $6K off. Though I foresaw enormous payments, I jumped on their 36 month, "0"% interest offer as well. I think I made out like a bandit. :)