This applies to our Rams to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The video didn't really say much specifically about how these vehicles are being stolen. It can't be that easy. I'd like to know more about how these vehicles are being stolen using whatever electronics the criminals are using. It isn't as simple as walking up to a vehicle with some black box and presto, the car unlocks and the engine starts.

There is more, much more to the story.

I would imagine Chrysler uses the same keyless entry-and-go technology across their vehicles, and likely the same technology is used across the automotive industry.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The video didn't really say much specifically about how these vehicles are being stolen. It can't be that easy. I'd like to know more about how these vehicles are being stolen using whatever electronics the criminals are using. It isn't as simple as walking up to a vehicle with some black box and presto, the car unlocks and the engine starts.

There is more, much more to the story.

I would imagine Chrysler uses the same keyless entry-and-go technology across their vehicles, and likely the same technology is used across the automotive industry.
Fob cloning. I don't know the details, but perhaps encryption isn't equal across brands.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You can use one repeater box, but most common is two boxes. Thieves first use a device that listens for the particular low frequency the vehicle sends out to check if the key is nearby, and the device then retransmits it at a higher frequency, such as 2.4Ghz or anything else that will easily travel much longer distances. The second device, held by the second thief, takes that high frequency signal and replays it again at the original low frequency. The keyfob sees this low frequency, and goes through the normal challenge response it would as if it was physically next to the car.
This happens back and forth a few times for the entire challenge/response between the key and the car, and the two devices are just relaying that communication over a longer distance.
Using these devices, the thieves create a bridge that stretches from the vehicle all the way to the key in the victim's pocket, home, or office, tricking each into thinking they're next to each other, allowing the door to open and the truck/car to start.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They Stole my Dads Cummins with a tow truck after they failed trying to clone it the week prior.

When they want your **** they will take it.

Im Glad I drive a beat up 10y old ****box. No one wants it...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You can use one repeater box, but most common is two boxes. Thieves first use a device that listens for the particular low frequency the vehicle sends out to check if the key is nearby, and the device then retransmits it at a higher frequency, such as 2.4Ghz or anything else that will easily travel much longer distances. The second device, held by the second thief, takes that high frequency signal and replays it again at the original low frequency. The keyfob sees this low frequency, and goes through the normal challenge response it would as if it was physically next to the car.
This happens back and forth a few times for the entire challenge/response between the key and the car, and the two devices are just relaying that communication over a longer distance.
Using these devices, the thieves create a bridge that stretches from the vehicle all the way to the key in the victim's pocket, home, or office, tricking each into thinking they're next to each other, allowing the door to open and the truck/car to start.
and why do you know this ... Just kidding.

The low-frequency signal sent by the FOB (that is the frequency used for passive entry and keyless start) is at an extremely low power, so low it has to be within a few feet of the door handle antennas to be heard. Using this method you described, they would need a good-sized antenna and/or be close to the person with the FOB. Exciting the FOB is easy, hearing it is nearly impossible.

In Detroit, they take what they want by flatbed or head over to the assembly plant and take what they want.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
In Detroit, they take what they want by flatbed or head over to the assembly plant and take what they want.
They do that here in Florida, too...Just not from people's front yards because they tend to get shot doing it. Sams's Club and Walmart are popular.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine sits in the garage most of the time, around here it is usally stuff with the keys in it , most of the crooks around here are stupid and lazy, farmers tend to leave keys in stuff. almost all stolen around here seems to be drug guys from different parts of the country.
We are not allowed to shoot them, for some reason.

If it was a huge problem, I think I would rig up a starter relay cut off, switch or a remote solenoid to do the same, would be simple. I have a remote for the house system, and it has a spare button on it, that could be used to turn it on / off, could be a pain with service guys thou.

Last edited:

BennyL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500
Engine
5.7L
In the mid 90's, I had a Chevy Blazer. After recovery from being stolen, I placed a small toggle switch at the left rear of the driver's seat on the floor, somewhat hidden. It was connected to the wires for the electric fuel pump. Problem solved.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They do that here in Florida, too...Just not from people's front yards because they tend to get shot doing it. Sams's Club and Walmart are popular.
I’m still waiting for someone to try stealing a sheriff deputy’s car from Polk County Fl and Sheriff Grady Judd. Gotta love that guy!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I’m still waiting for someone to try stealing a sheriff deputy’s car from Polk County Fl and Sheriff Grady Judd. Gotta love that guy!
Yea...And he's really good at outsmarting these "journalists" who question his tactics. Ol' boy is a smart one, and I'm a fan also.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine sits in the garage most of the time, around here it is usally stuff with the keys in it , most of the crooks around here are stupid and lazy, farmers tend to leave keys in stuff. almost all stolen around here seems to be drug guys from different parts of the country.
We are not allowed to shoot them, for some reason.

If it was a huge problem, I think I would rig up a starter relay cut off, switch or a remote solenoid to do the same, would be simple. I have a remote for the house system, and it has a spare button on it, that could be used to turn it on / off, could be a pain with service guys thou.
I have hidden kill switches on the power wire at the key on all 3 of our FCA products,it won't stop a dedicated thief as they'll just tow it away,but hopefully it slows the joy rider style thief down enough,they'll go looking else where.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I tend to nap in the vehicle and have very dark windows….they may get shot there too.