Those CTD members with trans work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Im trying to plan my trans work. Curious to know who has done what? How happy they are with the parts they have. Did you do the install yourself. What kinda power you think yours can handle? Very curious on those that have pre built trans and have installed them yourself. Thanks

Reece

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
My 07 had billet input shaft, vb, suncoast triple disk converter, and new clutches. I put 50k miles on the truck with those upgrades and the last 20k miles were pushing over 600hp and almost 1200tq. You dont want to get a billet output shaft until you get an intermediate shaft to go with it. I deliberatly left that stock so that it would be the weakest link. That is very easy to replace as apposed to the intermediate or input shaft.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
well what i want at this point is

TC
VB
input
inter
output
pan
flywheel
clutch
im sure there is more needed for a 48re with an 8--hp goal

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a afe deep pan, billet flex plate, goerend VB, billet triple disk, billet input and output shaft. I put the billet output to handle all the 4wd launches I plan on doing. All done by a local performance transmission shop. I'd consider the beefed up trans the best mod yet!

I know everyone has different experiences, but I had a horrible one with a BD valve body, so I'd try to stay clear away from them.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have a afe deep pan, billet flex plate, goerend VB, billet triple disk, billet input and output shaft. I put the billet output to handle all the 4wd launches I plan on doing. All done by a local performance transmission shop. I'd consider the beefed up trans the best mod yet!

I know everyone has different experiences, but I had a horrible one with a BD valve body, so I'd try to stay clear away from them.

what was the issue? why no billet intermediate shaft?

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm not gonna be pushing enough power to ever need an intermediate... I talked to the guys at goerend and they told me I wouldn't need one unless I was shooting for 800+HP.

Prior to the valve body install my transmission was golden it ran like a champ with the smarty jr with no slips in wot. After I installed the VB the shift from 2-3 would hang like mother and I'd get shuttle shift under light throttle... I tried everything to fix it, with no luck. Some replacements helped, but it was never completely solved until I took the ************* out.

It could've just been a rare bad VB, but that's enough to steer me clear away from them.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
BTW... When it comes to building a trans, I would recommend calling either Garmon or Goerend. They both specialize in transmissions and only build parts for transmissions... I went with Goerend because they were a little nicer on the wallet lol. Like I said though, best mod yet... It feels just so... reliable!

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
****. Dave deals only ats and BD trans, and I know not to touch ats. got to keep looking for a local installer.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I can also get Banks TQ converters ... Might be able to snag some gorend

I will throw that in the PM also Reece .

Installing a already built trans is easier IMO than having to pay for the parts then pay labor on top of that .. If you have a garage and some tools and a jack it is a simple bolt on process .

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I can also get Banks TQ converters ... Might be able to snag some gorend

I will throw that in the PM also Reece .

Installing a already built trans is easier IMO than having to pay for the parts then pay labor on top of that .. If you have a garage and some tools and a jack it is a simple bolt on process .

thats what im going back and forth with. I can buy things part by part and have a local installer put it all together, or I can get a pre built one and do the install myself(pretty sure I can handle that) and just deal with having to receive and ship freight.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I feel your pain bud .. Most of my core returns are free return freight ... all of my CTD parts are free shipping ... so its up to you LOL