Those who have trimmed their inner fenders step on in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Hey guys/gals,

Due to some slight rubbing when reversing at full lock I just ended up removing the little mud flap things and trimmed some of the plastic inner fender well. After cutting them I noticed the void where the pinch seam is and was wondering if I should fill it with something; something like the kind of expanding foam stuff.

I recently had a '70 C10 project truck which really opened my eyes to what water/rust damage can do if not attended to. I could damn near Fred Flintstone that thing with amount of rot it had.

So for those who have trimmed their inner fenders did you do anything? Does it drain out somewhere if water were to get in that area? Am I over thinking it (most likely)?

KGLm9cJh.png
8pQCySBh.png

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I didn't cut that much plastic on mine. I loosened up the plastic a bit by removing some of the screws so that I could get access to the pinch weld from behind. I cut the pinch weld using a small reciprocating saw and rattle canned it. Then I reinstalled the screws to put the flare and inner fender plastic back in place. I only cut the nub sticking out at the bottom with a Dremel cut-off wheel. I then heated the inner fender plastic with a torch and pressed it back toward the pinch weld with a large metal spoon and held it there until it cooled in that position. So, my inner fender well is virtually intact and clears my 37"x13.5" Toyos on 17"x9" w/+20 offset rims. It took a little more time and is more tedious, but I have no worries about debris and salt getting packed in there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I haven't had a need to trim or cut into metal or the liner, but I expect the exposed metal needs to treated and protected with paint or bed coating. Take a look under the truck along backside of rockers. There are a whole bunch of holes all along it. Factory covers them with tape, but it eventually falls off. I 've seen no explanation for this, so could be drain or vents to prevent rocker rot. On the 2016 anyway, not sure on earlier/later models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bahn112

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
I haven't had a need to trim or cut into metal or the liner, but I expect the exposed metal needs to treated and protected with paint or bed coating. Take a look under the truck along backside of rockers. There is a whole bunch of holes all along it. Factory covers them with tape, but it eventually falls off. I 've seen no explanation for this, so could be drain or vents to prevent rocker rot. On the 2016 anyway, not sure on earlier/later models.

Yeah, I didn't cut into the actual pinch seam (metal); just the plastic. I'll definitely take a look down the rockers to see if it has those taped up holes. The other issue would be rocks getting kicked up there over time and blocking those holes.

I'll probably just take the tire off sometime today/this weekend to get a better look at what's behind there.
Worst case scenario, replacement liners from Mopar aren't too expensive and i'll just replace these and use the method Fitzreefer used.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Not a Power Wagon and so far no rub with Thuren 3in lift and 37`s on AEV rims but I`m still looking at trimming the pinch weld with my power shears so I can disconnect the sway bar and avoid any rub... I intend to spray the trimmed pinch weld and surrounding area with flex seal.
Instead of cutting/trimming the plastic liner I bought a heat gun at Harbor Freight and plan on heating and reshaping the hump flat..

Just thought I`d throw this out as an option to cutting the plastic liner and exposing the inner fender to all of the potential corrosion.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah, I didn't cut into the actual pinch seam (metal); just the plastic. I'll definitely take a look down the rockers to see if it has those taped up holes. The other issue would be rocks getting kicked up there over time and blocking those holes.

I'll probably just take the tire off sometime today/this weekend to get a better look at what's behind there.
Worst case scenario, replacement liners from Mopar aren't too expensive and i'll just replace these and use the method Fitzreefer used.
Here you go, I’ll save you the trouble. Here’s a shot from when I did my pinch weld mod. I’m on 37’s and flex fully into the fenders, I need as much clearance as I can get lol

D5E551EF-BC1D-4A43-97E5-904F2A5F071B.jpeg

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
IRS...fyi - looks like you have a loose wire detached from your plug inside the fender!

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Still need to trim more, still getting some rub....also considering cutting the pinch weld amd using bed liner on it

20200702_202005.jpg

20200702_200725.jpg

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just put on some km3s in 37x12.5r17 with raceline avenger wheels with +20 offset. I’m on stock power wagon suspension and followed the trimming suggestions from CJC offroad. This photo is from my first outing with the new setup.
5DF83A9F-E9B0-47E4-B8A8-E3D460361544.jpeg
C558FC13-71B4-40AD-B5D3-5BBE09DE1B53.jpeg
No rub today but I feel like some more trimming will be needed if I really flex this truck out.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did my 12 when I ran 35’s because I stuff at full flex, just the nominal trim, went to 37’s cut about 6” up into the fender well liner then cut the pinch weld and hammered it flat to one side then sprayed some bed armor made it all pretty like. I’m a Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.50x17 on Pro comp 51 series wheel with a 4-3/4” backspacing. Don’t ask what offset they are never asked and don’t care. I can push them all the way into the Fender top and zero rub. Just remember if you do the pinch weld be careful not to get rid the weld or you might have some issues down the road.

Jupp Mueller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered 37x13.5R17 Cooper STT Pros and +18mm offset wheels. I'll report how much trimming I'll need in the next two weeks. Do you all have any idea how to test out the fitment at flex in the driveway? Looking at these RTI videos you'd need a substantial ramp to flex it out fully. I'd rather get all the trimming done at home than deal with it in the middle of nowhere on the trail.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
They sure do and sure are....kinda weird but trying something new....maybe its a sign to drink miller beer.......nah

I like em not even 1k on them yet

View attachment 216753

View attachment 216754
I'm thinking about giving these a shot in 38x13.5r17 still kind of torn and leary they'll wear quick being a load C tire

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OverlandingGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2019 with 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I heated the area with a heat gun, then used a utility knife to cut the area out. Hit any exposed area and red paint with black bed liner. If you didn't know what to look for you would never know it was cut. Problem solved. I do know there are some that heat the area and try to bend the plastic out of the way. I have had zero issues with water. Also, on the 2019, there is a plastic part/cover over the pinch weld that has to come off, while at the store, it finally got stuck between the car and tire and I had to break out the wrenches to remove it before leaving the store.

I am contemplating trimming a bit of the pinch seam away, seems really close but at the moment doesn't appear to be an issue. A

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I have a 2019 with 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I heated the area with a heat gun, then used a utility knife to cut the area out. Hit any exposed area and red paint with black bed liner. If you didn't know what to look for you would never know it was cut. Problem solved. I do know there are some that heat the area and try to bend the plastic out of the way. I have had zero issues with water. Also, on the 2019, there is a plastic part/cover over the pinch weld that has to come off, while at the store, it finally got stuck between the car and tire and I had to break out the wrenches to remove it before leaving the store.

I am contemplating trimming a bit of the pinch seam away, seems really close but at the moment doesn't appear to be an issue. A

Now, I'm all confused...I am under the impression that with the 17x10 AEV Katla, I could run up to 37's w/o concerns with rubbing. Looks like I am wrong?

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cut my liners like they were a ******* son of a thousand screaming maniacs. Did the pinch weld hack also, but don’t cut the seam out the pinch weld. They hold the inner and outer together. Cut a line between the pinch welds and hammer over flat you can even grind down the very bottom by the rocker as you may get some hit on full stuff. I even relocated my wiring harness behind the liner down out of the way.