Those who've traded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The real world is quite the opposite. The 6.2 makes slightly less horsepower but its torque which is the same as the 6.4 peaks at 3800rpm. Combine that with the 4.30 gears and superior gearing in the transmission its a winner. The new truck will hit 6th gear and hold it no problem on the flats where the Ram even with the 4.10s in it would seldom hit 5th towing my camper. The trucks also share the same tire size also. Its about as apples to apples as you get other than the Ford is a 8ft box rather than a short bed. I would bet 4.56 gears would make you a lot happier towing a camper. It was a long decision process before I switched probably about a year. I was dead set on getting a diesel most likely a Ram since they were about same price as the Ford gasser or regearing. After test driving a Ford I was sold on the ergonomics for my driving style, seat comfort, more cab room in the rear and overall quality. Then it was a reality check on whether I really wanted a diesel. I am glad i stayed with gas. If you havent gave one of the new Fords a tire kick it might be worth it. You never know you might change your mind. :favorites13: They all make good trucks these days though. A good problem to have.

I've never left a Ford dealer happy, either by shopping, a purchase, or especially service. I believe they are trained to deny claims first, cover only after intense investigation at your cost.

I've lived in most parts of the country and overseas and this goes for all of them, not just my local dealer.

Arrogance abounds at FoMoCo. They couldn't pay me to take their truck. Did the fix requiring cab removal for engine work on their HD trucks? I know we spend most of our time inside our vehicles, but I also can't stand the fugliness of the other makes. Overwrought brick styling. :puke:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've never left a Ford dealer happy, either by shopping, a purchase, or especially service. I believe they are trained to deny claims first, cover only after intense investigation at your cost.

I've lived in most parts of the country and overseas and this goes for all of them, not just my local dealer.

Arrogance abounds at FoMoCo. They couldn't pay me to take their truck. Did the fix requiring cab removal for engine work on their HD trucks? I know we spend most of our time inside our vehicles, but I also can't stand the fugliness of the other makes. Overwrought brick styling. :puke:

I can say I have had pleasant dealings with all the big 3 dealerships. Not one questioned any warranty claims or gave me hassle with service or provided questionable service. Maybe its just me. I think cab removal is still required on the diesels for certain repairs but rare. As the 6.7 was designed to be repaired keeping the cab on for the most part. Ford designed the trucks in the past for cab removal so for most mechanics its not a big deal when a major repair is needed as the cab is off in an hour. Matter of fact my father just had to have his 03 6.0l headgaskets replaced at 150k miles. First time truck had been apart ever for any major repair. I showed up at the shop where it was being repaired. They were 2.5 hrs in, the cab was off and the heads were off being cleaned and prepped so my dad could take them to shop for resurfacing and overall check. So its not all doom and gloom like it is made out to be. Probably like the new diesels with all the emissions. All you hear about is the bad though not the good on the internet. To each their own. Good thing we have the choice of which truck to drive. Its a great problem to have.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

This is why I came to Chrysler and left ford. I could not find a competent dealer, or mainly one who would actually listen to me. One time it was a simple loose heat sheild and instead of putting it up in the air they just said we couldn't hear it so we can't fix it. I literally walked out to the car, kicked the tailpipe and said there, no fix it and it was done in 15 minutes. Granted chrysler dealers have been just as useless but live and learn I guess.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, I can only dream of what my Hemi would be like with properly geared tranny that shifted like it should. When the power curve lines up with your situation this engine is an absolute beast. With my 11K 5th and 3.73 gearing if I can hold 2nd I'm golden. So, pretty much anything over about 50MPH. I've hauled up some pretty big mountain passes and can easily pick my speed from about 55-70. Even slowing for a curve I can get right back up to 65-70.

I agree the Ford with the 4.30 and good tranny would be a nice setup right out of the box.
Are you saying you never shift out of 2nd gear??? If so I'd dump that thing in a hurry!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you saying you never shift out of 2nd gear??? If so I'd dump that thing in a hurry!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

2nd is good up to as fast as I tow. I think 70MPH is about 4500 RPM. Up a mountain pass that's pretty much my gear. On flat it's usually in 4th and sometimes will find 5th. It seems like when I tow I spend 90% of the time in 2nd and 4th.

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hum...my Cummins 6.7 cruises at 70 mpg @ about 1800 RPM pulling 9000# and getting 10 to 12 MPG. I’d dump that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2nd is good up to as fast as I tow. I think 70MPH is about 4500 RPM. Up a mountain pass that's pretty much my gear. On flat it's usually in 4th and sometimes will find 5th. It seems like when I tow I spend 90% of the time in 2nd and 4th.

It’s like way back in the day, when the automatic trucks all had 3-speeds.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok. That makes more sense. I am pretty much always in 4th on the flats which is fine by me. If you believe the evic, my mileage is better in 4th than in 5th. 19l/100km vs 28l/100km. Rolling hills it sticks in 4th. Big grades will pull in 3rd easily if I manually shift it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Granted I’ve only hauled firewood, so not much drag, but that 6,000-7,000 lbs was barely even noticeable back there. Mainly when I had to brake. I did use tow/haul, because why not. But it did tow fine. Someday I’ll have to try one of those big campers to see what it’s like.

On second thought, maybe not. I don’t want to be on the hunt for a new truck any time soon.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Granted I’ve only hauled firewood, so not much drag, but that 6,000-7,000 lbs was barely even noticeable back there. Mainly when I had to brake. I did use tow/haul, because why not. But it did tow fine. Someday I’ll have to try one of those big campers to see what it’s like.

On second thought, maybe not. I don’t want to be on the hunt for a new truck any time soon.
Yeah, I've found there is a big difference between hauling something heavy, and hauling something heavy that's a big wind sail.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah, I've found there is a big difference between hauling something heavy, and hauling something heavy that's a big wind sail.

Yep. I towed my wife’s Acadia on a trailer over a pass we go through for camping all the time. Her car on the trailer is heavier than my Travel trailer. Got 11mpg with the car, and it’s usually 7.5-8.5 there with the TT.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I am actually surprised that Ram does not lower their tow rating depending on the frontal area of what you are towing or the altitude. I know my old Ford said it in the owners manual. If I recall, the GCWR decreased by 2% for every 1,000 ft above elevation, but I can't remember how much it decreased with a higher frontal area.

A 2% drop per 1,000 ft elevation would drop my 25k GCWR (17k tow rating) at sea level down to about 20k GCWR(12k tow rating) at 10,000 ft on my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am actually surprised that Ram does not lower their tow rating depending on the frontal area of what you are towing or the altitude. I know my old Ford said it in the owners manual. If I recall, the GCWR decreased by 2% for every 1,000 ft above elevation, but I can't remember how much it decreased with a higher frontal area.

A 2% drop per 1,000 ft elevation would drop my 25k GCWR (17k tow rating) at sea level down to about 20k GCWR(12k tow rating) at 10,000 ft on my truck.
But for you it doesn't make as much difference as it would a n/a gas truck though.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

You actually expect people to do math :roflsquared: And understand things like "frontal area". Come on - math is just something threatened in school. This is the real world. The closest thing to math anyone MUST do these days is determine the depth of foam they want on their latte. :) :)

The only things I've towed any distance over the years are travel trailers and 5th wheels. But, last year I drove a couple hundred miles and hauled home a new car for my wife on a trailer. Wow, what a difference it makes having all that weight lower and out of the wind behind me. I didn't really pay attention to MPGs but just the feeling was a lot different. Just a lot more stable and tight.

RVs really are a disaster to tow when you look at how they are setup. Not really anything you can do. I've been casually looking at destination trailers to put one on a piece of vacation property. Everything bad about RVs from a towing standpoint is even worse with these. Just big tall squares with flat fronts. At a show recently one of the manufacturer's reps was telling me they have a really hard time getting the transporters to haul them because of the big decrease in MPGs.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
This thread hurt to read :banghead: This debate is almost as good as the one about politics. Op there’s so many variables but for “me” and “me” alone I’m going to ditch the gasser. Be it it’s a 2500 with the 5.7. Getting 8mpg pulling an empty 24’ gooseneck stock trailer just is insane. Getting 12mpg empty if I’m lucky going through Texas hill country ain’t fun at all. I just need more power. Love my ram. Just not this engine package. Live and learn