Thoughts of trading in my 4th gen ram 1500 for a 3rd gen cummins

Pull the trigger?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
I've been in the truck world for a few years now and I have become very fond of diesels, their sounds, the performance, everything about them. The reason I am aiming for a 3rd gen is that I can afford a clean 3rd gen cummins whether it be the 5.9 or the few years of the 6.7 being in the 3rd gens. I've looked at 4th gens and I cannot seem to find ones that aren't beat to death in my price range. My main question is that is this a bad idea, or should I pull the trigger? I've always loved the 3rd gens (especially since my dad had one growing up) and I personally don't see the issue with doing this. The only thing is that the 3rd gens are just older, but I have managed to find 3rd gens with less rust that my 2015 4th gen. I'm all ears to what everyone has to say. Especially if the 5.9 or if the 6.7 would be a better option.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I said pull the trigger because I used to be a Ford man and after the 7.3 went away I switched to the 5.9 and have never looked back. I'm used to larger diesels, but these are awesome pickups after you make them your own (customizing out their shortcomings). Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It would be the last thing in the world I would do just for the "sound and performance". I get it though. It's your money, drive what makes you happy.

I know a few guys who went that route as well to scratch the diesel itch. They've all been back to gasoline for years now.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
3rd gen Cummins is a solid truck however they are getting up there in years so things are bound to start failing, it's inevitable. Always a tough choice to go from a newer truck to an older one.

Several years ago I went from a gen 4 2500 gas back to a 2006 gen 3 2500 cummins mega cab. I don't regret the decision (I hated the 2500 gas) but a couple years later I was trading again into a new cummins.
The engine was pretty solid, had a few electrical glitches but nothing major. The biggest reason for getting out of it was all the issues I was having with the front end. Ball joints, hub bearings, steering box, all those things that had worn out over the years kept me constantly working on it. The wife had had enough and said just go get a new one. Now in a 2016 cummins and couldn't be happier.

Also the creature comforts and drivability of the 4th gen are much better as well.

I always say get the newest truck you can afford. If you can get into a 4th gen I would. Maybe save a little longer so you have a higher budget.