Thoughts on a 2008 RAM 1500 Big Horn with very low mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slythic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi all,

Just signed up and hoping to learn a whole lot about the RAM 1500.

Have a neighbor that offered to sell me his 2008 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn Flex Fuel (4x2). He's taken great care of it and has very minor issues (slight dings in 2 or 3 spots and front bumper "corners" have slight paint chips), it's in overall very good shape for a 2008. Serviced regularly.

Here's the kicker, it has less than 30K miles!

Asked him how much he wants and he just said make me an offer.

Wanted to see what everyone here thought about the vehicle itself and a fair value to offer? Thanks in advance!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That truck sounds like a real gem.

I'd suggest you inspect it carefully as you would any used vehicle but at 30K you may not find much in the way of leaks, worn suspension, etc...

Get the VIN and run it through CarFax or the dealer for service, recall and warranty history as well.

Good luck!

PS: Are you really 118 years old???

OP
OP
S

slythic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi Maddog!

I'm like a good whiskey, get better with age haha! Seriously, not sure what that's about...

Neighbor is original owner, according to him no accidents.

Are there any known issues I should be aware of for a 2008 1500 SLT Big Horn?

What would be a fair value. Some friends in the car business say $7 or 8K, other truck friends say $9-10K no higher than $12K. I rather get true Dodge owner opinions if possible!

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shouldn't be much wrong with it, that's really low miles.....I'd offer 8K.

I personally don't care for flex-fuel but easy to delete with simple tuner.

Also prefer the 5.7 but I tow.

If you need a truck " we all do " jump on it, it's gotta lot of life left in it.

OP
OP
S

slythic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Marley!

Your post shows how much I need to learn. I thought flex-fuel was a physical part, no clue it could be tuned... *facepalm*

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Vehicle prices vary by vehicle age, vehicle mileage, vehicle options, your region and availability n that region, old timer. :D

Check KBB.com or TrueCar to see what they sell for in your area. You'll put in data on the truck (year, make, model, mileage, options, etc...) for a value in your area for that specific truck.

I like KBB as they give you trade, private sale and retail sale pricing. Gives you something to work from. I couldn't give you a value as you didn't indicate if it was an SLT, Big Horn, Laramie, etc... and what engine and options it has. Some of that stuff makes a difference with the fair market price for the truck.

By 2008 the third gen trucks were pretty well sorted and there isn't much to worry about with them. That's why I recommended checking with a dealer on warranty and recall work done to the truck. My 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L HEMI was very reliable and I experienced no significant failures.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Magnum 5.7
No more than $10k! Even though your neighbor says he's the original owner I would still run the VIN on carfax. Just to be sure.

OP
OP
S

slythic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks MadDog and Chrysler Cowboy,

Took the truck over to the local Dodge dealer and estimator said $8.5-9K was a fair price. It's too old for the dealer to buy it but that's what they would offer. After that they tried to get me to lease a new truck for $299/month lol

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I bought an 08 Dodge 1500 4.7L 6 speed from a used car dealer in Utah a couple weeks ago for $12K (much less than what I was going to pay for a newer Tacoma). No rust and 81,000 miles on it. Driving this puppy til he’s dead.
830622a10969a3be5b34d70bafaa29a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

slythic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Pilot, that's a good looking truck right there!

Yours looks in slightly better shape but just splitting hairs. Came with the tires and lift?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was my old girl. It was a goodvyruck. 7ee3d8664ba9b75d7f7977df27d6b30a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I had an '08,traded it for my '17 Rebel. Mine started to show some rot on the fenders around the wheel wells. There were a bunch of Gen 3's with the same problem, that's why you see so many with aftermarket flares. If he's got flares, ask the question. If not, you're good (at least with the paint. Good luck!

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Pilot, that's a good looking truck right there!

Yours looks in slightly better shape but just splitting hairs. Came with the tires and lift?
Bought new tires. Came with the wheels and leveling kit. I only needed to get new tie rods. Getting spray in liner tmrw. Installing radio and camera today

kwb377

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Prices vary wildly depending on region. I bought my "like-new" '07 quad-cab with 24k miles a little over a year ago and paid $15k. Every other truck (any brand) in that price range was only a few years newer, but had a minimum of 180k miles. I was happy with the price, and the buyer had five other people lined up with cash-in-hand to buy it that day if I didn't. I could probably list it today locally for the same price and have it sold tomorrow.

Around here, $8k will buy a 20 year old truck with 250k miles that's been beat on by a high school kid.

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Prices vary wildly depending on region. I bought my "like-new" '07 quad-cab with 24k miles a little over a year ago and paid $15k. Every other truck (any brand) in that price range was only a few years newer, but had a minimum of 180k miles. I was happy with the price, and the buyer had five other people lined up with cash-in-hand to buy it that day if I didn't. I could probably list it today locally for the same price and have it sold tomorrow.

Around here, $8k will buy a 20 year old truck with 250k miles that's been beat on by a high school kid.
That’s exactly how it is here in Utah. Drove it around the block for a few minutes. Checked the entire body for rust, broken stuff. Nothin. Started signing paperwork and a guy walked into the place with cash and wanted to buy it without test driving it.