Thoughts on a 99 5.2 with a 5-speed stick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenMathisHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hello everyone

I'm doing some homework on a 99 Ram I've been offered to trade for. It's a 2wd extended cab with a 5.2 magnum and what I believe is a 5-speed stick, 208k on the odometer. List of modifications are:
Repaint 2 months prior
5 month old 33in tires
Tint all around
4inch lift, looks suspension not body
LED taillights and LED halo headlights
Dual Flowmaster Exhaust
New trans, unknown age
Black roll bar in bed
Black side steps for doors

I've never owned a dodge prior to this, only ever had GM. I've yet to see it in person as I wanted to get some advice on what can happen and what will happen from folks who've experienced it before I decide if it's something to move further with. How much different from an SBC is it in terms of maintenance, what am I likely to see in the short run, how do I keep it running for a good while? I'm not wanting this to turn into a project as I'm about to start putting together the build for my 92 K1500. My use for it would be into city once or twice a week maybe, 60miles round trip, and possibly a drive from good 'ole Texas to Colorado and back this coming May for a week-long camping trip.

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Simply be going manual you're eliminating an issue.
Truck is a stripper model I can already tell, crank windows, manual locks, vinyl everywhere. If you're wanting something tough you've got it.

Engine: Read the End-All, Be-All Plenum Thread in the engine forum. Some things you need to look at in there.

Trans is alright. NV3500 will stand up to most things you throw at it. Be sure to change the fluid occasionally.

T-case: Generally good. They have a failure point called a snap-ring in the tail shaft. There is a product called the t-case saver that eliminates it. Snap-ring fails, t-case splits in half.

Rear diff: They can be prone to pinion bearing failures, especially if they have a factory LSD. Factory LSD is a clutch-type unit that over time will wear out and drop clutch material in the diff. Not a big deal as long as the fluid is changed regularly and has LSD additive put in it.

Front diff: eh not much goes wrong with the D44. Typical u-joint failures from age or abuse mostly. Center Axle Disconnect system can be finicky at times. Most the time it's an easy fix.

Front end: Steering. Dodge has ****** steering. You'll have to live with that unless you want to drop some coin on some of the HD setups out there. Wheel hubs like wearing out with big tires and offset wheels, unless you spend a bunch of money on some real nice ones. Buddy of mine got his paws on some CAT sealed bearings and replaced the stock bearings in his hubs with those. That's more than most people wanna do tho. Steering boxes will be ******, coming from an old Chevy you should be familiar with this.
Oh yeah.....track bar failures......death wobble. Less common is worn out bushings in the control arms. But that's an age thing.

Brakes are somewhat lackluster tbh. Most guys don't care, I do. You might not. I dunno. 00+ Rams had a brake upgrade.

Another common thing is the headlight switches that like to burn out along with the multi-function stalk on the steering column. Too much load on the switch due to lights. Easy fix with a headlight relay kit and new switches.

Pretty sure that covers it. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info that I might have forgot.

Welcome and good luck.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
D/D 94 - probably covered more than enough, since he says it is 2wd in his post. If so, the methods ands results of a 4" front suspension lift vary greatly, and I'm not a fan of most of them.