Thoughts on a regear with 37s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got the 2019 PW and put the Carli pintop and 37s and asked the guys at Nitro if they would regear. They said definitely 5.29s but they don't make them. They suggested asking Mopar if they have a 5.29 oem that you could put in and maybe its covered by the warranty. Thoughts on the regear and also anyone heard of oem 5.29?

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
While a regear would definitely make drivability alot nicer it definitely isn't a necessity to run 37s on these trucks. Ive had 37s for the past 8 months and it's been fine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I got the 2019 PW and put the Carli pintop and 37s and asked the guys at Nitro if they would regear. They said definitely 5.29s but they don't make them. They suggested asking Mopar if they have a 5.29 oem that you could put in and maybe its covered by the warranty. Thoughts on the regear and also anyone heard of oem 5.29?

Would love to see some pics! I have a 2018 and went Carli Commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

4.10–>4.56, 4.88, and 5.13. I do agree with Mailgator, it’s doable, but if you do go the distance, 5.13s for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I think its probably eco mode that I dislike combined with the bigger tires. For now I think I'd only swap if its OEM gears

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I don’t know about that recommendation; I regeared my JK to 4.88 for 37’s and it was perfect. IMO of course.

I too would prefer a higher gear ratio for the loss of horsepower at our 6,000 feet plus altitudes with steep mountain grades plus the addition of taller tires. Run a smaller prop on my inboard/outboard V8 to make up for the power loss on the 7,700 foot high Vega Reservoir near here. Doubt that I would be happy driving my Power Wagon with some 37" tires without a regear. Especially while driving over the above 13,000 foot high Mosquito Pass or towing across South Park at 10,000 feet. It's hard enough to pass as is while towing on 34" tires at high altitude. hbleconey has palm trees in the PW photograph, and so I also doubt that high altitude horsepower loss plus the addition of taller tires are both issues.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.13’s would be perfect. And I believe you can still get them from AAM. However, getting the dealer to actually warranty it sounds like a crap shoot.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
so that's three suggestions now, 4.56, 5.13 and 5.29 ha. My worry about voiding the warranty is that on my 2012 PW which I put 80k on in 4 years, I had the pinion seize twice and the front tires luck up. luckily I was only driving sub 20 miles an hour both times but the first time they had to replace the entire front axle housing (under warranty) which they shipped from Detroit on a flat bed and the dealer told me it was about 6k to 8k all in if I was paying for it

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
5.13’s would be perfect. And I believe you can still get them from AAM. However, getting the dealer to actually warranty it sounds like a crap shoot.

The 5.13's would certainly help with mountain driving.

Colorado has the only 3 point traffic violation for Improper Mountain Driving of which law enforcement around here can cite drivers for when they can't control their rate of descent, slide out on the snow/ice, crash into a ditch or guardrail, etc. One point below a misdemeanor traffic violation such as reckless driving.

Can't hurt to have the right gears in order to have more power and control in the ascent and descent speed of the truck. Even our 1st gear on a steep enough downgrade rapidly gets the truck going way too fast with the stock 33" tires without some feathering of the brakes.

https://www.denver-attorney.us/improper-mountain-highway-driving.html

IMG_2320.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn’t clear in my previous post; it’s the original proposal 5.29 I referenced which in my opinion is too deep.

4.6 will give you parity with the original. 37/33x4.1
However you’re twisting more tire mass now.

4.88 will compensate for the weight and still not have you at 3k RPM on the interstate.

Plus you have the 8 speed, with deeper launch gears.

I have had luck in the past with warranty on dealership work. But you want to have that conversation up front and in writing. I had a dealer regear a truck with aftermarket gears, but I had them do the work, because I trusted their techs. Well, THAT wasn’t my best call, because they screwed up; set them up wrong and it whined like hell. The good news was they stood behind it. Replaced the gears and did it all over on their dime.

YMMV. But I’d certainly not expect FCA to warranty an axle if someone else has been into it.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm going with AAM 5.13s. They have been ordered and will be installed ASAP. Really looking forward to it!

are you having the dealer put it and is it covered by warranty?. what size tires are you running?

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Lots of good input here already and I know how hard of a decision it was for me picking my new axle gears. I chose 4.88 and just before the shop ordered the 4.88 he called and asked if I'd rather have 5.13 from AAM. Hell yeah brother.

I went 5.13 and ran 35s for 25k miles and loved it. Even on the interstate, and I live where 20 over the limit won't even get stink eye from a trooper. **** you not.

But the plan was 37s. So I followed all these guys trying to figure out my next tire. Load, diameter, width, weight, cost and availability all working my brain. But finally now it is.

I've got maybe 1000 miles on the setup, all pavement. For me I couldnt have gone any higher and been satisfied. Actually, 5.29 would be great with my 37s. BUT I live at 7000ft and I have a 6 speed.

Sea level, 37s, 5.13s and an 8 speed being maybe perfect for me. 4.88 would probably be almost as nice an experience but 5.13 is AAM, so that's where I go.

The 5.13 availability from AAM is because that ratio is offered as an option for RAM 3500. As you know not for ours. I think you've got a chance to have it installed under warranty, at least enough of a hope I would call two or three dealerships and ask. But the odds probably lean away from warranty since the option wasn't there in the beginning for 2500, but I really hope they do. I would love to read that kind of service and manu faith is coming from RAM.

Good axle shop probably $1000 cheaper then dealership (guessing) and your diffs are going to be bomb proof. I know you had some previous trouble but mine lead me to believe in yours.

Good luck, nice truck too!

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the choice has already been made so these are just some comments:
As mentioned in a previous post going to 4.56's with 37" tires would put the RPM levels back to stock, but wouldn't compensate for the increased rolling resistance and weight of the tires. 4.88's would likely put the overall "power" and "feel" with 37's back to stock, and of course 5.13's would be even better. I will also say that 1 step in gears, meaning the difference between 4.10 and 4.56, or between 4.56 and 4.88, does not make much of a difference. IMO you have to go at least 2 steps, meaning 4.10 to 4.88, to feel the seat of the pants difference. I spent many years at my previous job testing and evaluating vehicles and if you covered up the tach it was really hard to tell the difference between two trucks that were identical except one had a 3.73 ratio and the other had 4.10s. Not saying the 4.10s were not worth it, but in simple seat of the pants feel it was to tell. Along those lines, the difference between 5.13 and 5.29 is extremely small. Not sure where they came up with 5.29 for a Ram but you don't have an unlimited selection in the gear ratio number. Rather you have to choice what is available and close to what you want.

When you talk about warranty, I would have a hard time believing that Ram/Fiat Corporate would warranty a gear swap to a non-factory offered ratio regardless of the brand or who did the work. Now I can see the dealership that performed the work fixing the issue if something comes up, but could also see it turn into a fight. I'm also not sure about 5.13 being a factory offered option on the 3500 trucks. I know for 2019 and 2020 the only options are 3.73 or 4.10 on 3500 series trucks, and down to 4.89 on 5500 series trucks. I think maybe 5.13's were available as an option on the 4500 and 5500 series trucks at one time, but also pretty sure they have different axles, at least in the rear, as a 2500 series truck.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So my update after being at the dealership is the following, they don't offer a regear package of 5.13 for 2019 so that may have been an earlier year. If I wanted warranty coverage I would need mopar gears and then have the dealer install it. having just AAM gears would be a tough sell to get it covered. I think I need to do a little more digging on whether an older set will fit the axles if I can find them