Thoughts on a regear with 37s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
are you having the dealer put it and is it covered by warranty?. what size tires are you running?
I'm having a local mechanic install the gears. The truck has 37-13.5-17 STT Pros on it now & when these are worn out I'll be going up to 40s.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What type of cost are you looking at for a regear? Parts and then dealership install.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my update after being at the dealership is the following, they don't offer a regear package of 5.13 for 2019 so that may have been an earlier year. If I wanted warranty coverage I would need mopar gears and then have the dealer install it. having just AAM gears would be a tough sell to get it covered. I think I need to do a little more digging on whether an older set will fit the axles if I can find them

the axles havnt changed in 6 years or so. 5.13’s are (or at least were) available.

mopar gears? Is there such a thing? AAM is the axle manufacturer... wouldnt you think they use AAM gears?

going by memory here, but I kind of remember reading that one guy who switched to 5.13’s actually needed a gear that was for a chevy AAM axle.... cant remember if it was front or rear.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is there a table that has tire size, gears ratio and RPMs readily available?

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the axles havnt changed in 6 years or so. 5.13’s are (or at least were) available.

mopar gears? Is there such a thing? AAM is the axle manufacturer... wouldnt you think they use AAM gears?

going by memory here, but I kind of remember reading that one guy who switched to 5.13’s actually needed a gear that was for a chevy AAM axle.... cant remember if it was front or rear.

I think the take away is I need to find a decent service department at a dodge dealer that can tell me if those 5.13s will fit. if you want the warranty all the parts need to come from the dealership. I'll keep everyone updated. I reached out to several service departments in my area asking for info. the 5.13s are definitely not an option for the 2019 3500

when I ask Nitro if they made gears for the 2019 power wagon this is what he said

"Not at this time. Dodge generally changes their rear axle configurations every 5 years, which is doable. When they decide to change certain trucks without notice, like the Power Wagon and now the 2020 RAM, we cannot keep up. It is too expensive to spend all that tooling money to produce a small amount of gears."

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the take away is I need to find a decent service department at a dodge dealer that can tell me if those 5.13s will fit. if you want the warranty all the parts need to come from the dealership. I'll keep everyone updated. I reached out to several service departments in my area asking for info. the 5.13s are definitely not an option for the 2019 3500

when I ask Nitro if they made gears for the 2019 power wagon this is what he said

"Not at this time. Dodge generally changes their rear axle configurations every 5 years, which is doable. When they decide to change certain trucks without notice, like the Power Wagon and now the 2020 RAM, we cannot keep up. It is too expensive to spend all that tooling money to produce a small amount of gears."

i dont believe a 3500 ever had a 5.13 option. Maybe the 4500 or 5500.

well nitro doesnt know much apparently. They are still using the same axles in the power wagon that they have been using for years.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
so that's three suggestions now, 4.56, 5.13 and 5.29 ha. My worry about voiding the warranty is that on my 2012 PW which I put 80k on in 4 years, I had the pinion seize twice and the front tires luck up. luckily I was only driving sub 20 miles an hour both times but the first time they had to replace the entire front axle housing (under warranty) which they shipped from Detroit on a flat bed and the dealer told me it was about 6k to 8k all in if I was paying for it
Although not the front axle, in the mid-2000's I had some driveshaft slop in my 1995 Chevrolet K1500's manual transmission and while quick shifting up a grade it snapped off several of my rear ring gear teeth. A U pull and save wrecking yard in Denver sold an entire axle truck assembly for $119. Much cheaper than any auto parts rebuilt. Found a 1989 pickup's assembly with the brakes fully intact. Bolted it up that night and drove it another 50,000 miles until I traded the truck in for my PW.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
i dont believe a 3500 ever had a 5.13 option. Maybe the 4500 or 5500.

well nitro doesnt know much apparently. They are still using the same axles in the power wagon that they have been using for years.
Well this really sucks, I've posted that info more than once, parroting my axle guys info, which he was unaware of until his supplier told him, but they were solid pros so I assumed a level of 'know some****'.

Then there's olyelr, I read his posts all the time, not just here either - across the whole f internet. He knows some**** too, a lot of it.

Needless to say, I will not be Google'n RAM 3500 and 5.13, no need, olyelr said it wasn't so, more than enough for me. Then wtf, I'm thinking.

So, here's my current thoery on why I'm posting info that sucks, more of a theory than just the "I'm a '****" theory. (I think I can say that since it's me I'm calling out).

Anyway, theorize this: when Axle Dude told me it was available due to the 3500 option, could he have meant a Chevy 3500??? He almost had to of meant GM, says that all over the label of the attached photo. What Cha all think? Possible?

Ignore the part number of the top box they reboxed the front in wrong box.

Just so the correct part numbers are posted, here are the part numbers of the 5.13 AAM gears in my '16 2500.

AAM Part number for the 5.13 gear set, 9.25 front differential is #40136007 and rear 11.5 is #40030646 (pic shown)

Sorry to be off point, but I'd really like to correct the info. Thanks man

d8ba3c9af0904a163cfaee3d93b4bcdf.jpg

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
Well this really sucks, I've posted that info more than once, parroting my axle guys info, which he was unaware of until his supplier told him, but they were solid pros so I assumed a level of 'know some****'.

Then there's olyelr, I read his posts all the time, not just here either - across the whole f internet. He knows some**** too, a lot of it.

Needless to say, I will not be Google'n RAM 3500 and 5.13, no need, olyelr said it wasn't so, more than enough for me. Then wtf, I'm thinking.

So, here's my current thoery on why I'm posting info that sucks, more of a theory than just the "I'm a '****" theory. (I think I can say that since it's me I'm calling out).

Anyway, theorize this: when Axle Dude told me it was available due to the 3500 option, could he have meant a Chevy 3500??? He almost had to of meant GM, says that all over the label of the attached photo. What Cha all think? Possible?

Just so the correct part numbers are posted, here are the part numbers of the 5.13 AAM gears in my '16 2500.

AAM Part number for the 5.13 gear set, 9.25 front differential is #40136007 and rear 11.5 is #40030646 (pic shown)

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................
Those are the gears I have on order for my '17 PW.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hey man, no sweat! I dont know everything, but I do know enough to be dangerous LOL! And when I stated that I dont think a 3500 Ram ever had 5.13’s, its not factual information, its just what I think.

Thanks for posting up the info on those part numbers!

A little off topic, but did you ever run your 5.13’s with 35’s? I cant remember... just wondering what you thought of that combo.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure that 5.13 was never a normal factory option on a Chevy 3500 either. 4.10 is the lowest I've seen available on a traditional 1-ton/3500 series truck from anybody for a long, long time. I now the 4500/5500 series trucks had lower gears available, and if I remember correctly we had some 5500 series Dodge trucks with 5.13's from the factory back 10+ years ago. Just because the gears are available from the original axle manufacture doesn't necessarily mean they were a factory option on a truck. However there is a good chance that the axle company sold some form of that axle to some equipment company that required those gears. The same basic axles can be found in forklifts, construction equipment, etc... This information is not guaranteed by any means, just based off of my memory.

AAM makes axles for both Dodge/Ram and Chevy/GMS. AAM was originally the old GM corporate axle division that was spun off into a separate company.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The AAM distributor had this to say about it fitting a 2019 PW

The front ring and pinion will be different from the factory ring and pinion and will require a ring gear spacer for install.

The rear I am not sure of as we do not have confirmation on what is coming under the 2019 and newer trucks or if there have been any revisions on ring and pinions or bearings like there have been in the past.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The front ring and pinion will be different from the factory ring and pinion and will require a ring gear spacer for install.

The rear I am not sure of as we do not have confirmation on what is coming under the 2019 and newer trucks or if there have been any revisions on ring and pinions or bearings like there have been in the past.

yes, if memory serves me right a spacer is needed. One of the axles is a bit “tricky”, needing a spacer and GM gears. I think its the front.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey man, no sweat! I dont know everything, but I do know enough to be dangerous LOL! And when I stated that I dont think a 3500 Ram ever had 5.13’s, its not factual information, its just what I think.

Thanks for posting up the info on those part numbers!

A little off topic, but did you ever run your 5.13’s with 35’s? I cant remember... just wondering what you thought of that combo.
I guess the shorter answer is the 5.13s and 35s were the perfect combo for my trucks configuration and use for the last 30k miles. I loved it, my favorite vehicle I've ever owned (after the regear).

Here's more on why but the long read can be ignored, the answer doesn't change but I do list my only concern.[emoji106]

i really really liked my truck with 35s and the 5.13 gears. It was such an improvement in my truck, I can't even describe the difference but I will try, in brief. Ok probably not briefly

We all deal with the heavy loss of HP through the automatic trans drivetrain, 20% loss give or take. I'd say with the 35s vs 33s, the poor trans gearing and poor trans control logic that 20% loss might even be conservative.

Also, We all deal with elevation losses, appr 3% every 1000 ft. I used to be at 7200ft but now 6900ft.

40% loss. Let's just say I was feeling the full truck weight, certified scale 7640lbs

I tried many of the bolt-ons thinking they could help the situation but a very tall ask. And really didn't get a whole lot from the driver-dyno, all said in done.

BUT I really liked the truck so I wasn't giving up. AND then she was born! With 50k on her clock, I had Colorado Gear and Axle swap in 5.13s and it fixed everything!! (Well not my foggy rear camera) It brought incredible life to the 6.4 and all the bolt-ons.

The only concern was on my weekly 220mi commute (one way) and the engine rpm at 85mph, 2600 to 2700 rpm.

Don't get me wrong, the gear wasn't too low unless the trucks main purpose is a long distance commute on a high speed interstate. If that's truly the purpose, constantly, then that configuration is probably off, imo.

I still make the drive but four times a year instead of but four times a year instead of 100. Now with 37s, I can say I miss my 35s. But I also haven't had it off-road since the tire change and that's is it's intended purpose from here forward. My daily driver with extended fun time duties. I can't get too off-road yet because, my front tires rub on compression with turn. My wheels are -24 offset so I went a little too wide to leave the suspension stock w 37s.

So, I am now struggling with the decision on suspension upgrade, Thuren Overland Extreme or Thuren King 2.5. I know the 2.5 system would be an amazing experience but am I really going to benefit that much with King 2.5? I don't drive crazy fast off-road, don't want to air-out the wagon.

Today, if I had to choose, 35s would be my choice vs 37s, but not quite a fair compare yet, soon as the 37s clear 100% at full lock and compression then I can drive it and I have a feeling the 37s will have quite the advantage off-road.

The 37s unfortunately brought back the low speed rear hop, where the trans lags or refuses to downshift unless I hammer the throttle. I didn't miss that **** with 35s. The hop really irritates me.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
so this came up on one of the part numbers on demandaam.com

View attachment 192743View attachment 192743
Thanks for posting that, set me free from my posting angst, lol.

I woulda not guessed both. So glad I don't have a Chevy cadaver part in my ass end. That just might be awkward

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

The worst thing about buying a new truck, nobody had knowledge or tech for almost a year. A new gen's gotta be even worse.

Ok that was the second worst thing, the worst was the tax and registration, that blew donkeys

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
sounds like given you're altitude you would have gone with 5.29 in retrospec? i'm at sea level in CA so assuming eventually when i figure this out 5.13 will be sufficient