Thoughts on adjustable drop hitch—

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, does it rattle?
It shouldn’t, mine doesn’t.
On the plus side, you don’t ever need to buy another hitch ever again.

MAKE SURE YOU PULL IT WHEN YOU TRADE THE TRUCK IN!!!!!

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, does it rattle?
It shouldn’t, mine doesn’t.
On the plus side, you don’t ever need to buy another hitch ever again.

MAKE SURE YOU PULL IT WHEN YOU TRADE THE TRUCK IN!!!!!

Well, I never gave it much chance to rattle. Lol. I bought a hitch clamp to use with it but, I think I’ll really only need that for just added security because surprisingly enough to me, it’s almost like this hitch was made for my truck because it was a rather tight fit.

Even bought me some special, hopefully vice grip-proof security nuts for that clamp.

eb42091a861380ab73baf605d17f5c64.jpg

5eb6356c0a5c3a55337c3c059c3cff99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Ryan Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Both those hitches are super nice, but I would like to throw out some other options to you as well. First off the Rapid Hitch from Andersen hitches is super nice and reliable and is very similar to the other hitches price wise. Then there is the GEN-Y hitch if you are looking for a bulky heavy duty look, but those hitches are more on the pricy side.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I bought a plain 'ol UHaul steel adjustable hitch and put a Reese short-shaft 3-ball kit on it. Have pulled dozens of trailers thousands of miles... Probably didn't spend more than $150 bucks on the whole mess...

Pretty is usually overpriced... Functional is inexpensive and, well, functional...

Ryan Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I know it may be a little late, but maybe it will help others with their decision. I use the rapid hitch from Andersen Hitches, and have been using it for 5 or 6 years now. It has held up remarkable well and have not yet had troubles with it rusting or rattling. Check them out here if you are interested. https://andersenhitches.com/

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a plain 'ol UHaul steel adjustable hitch and put a Reese short-shaft 3-ball kit on it. Have pulled dozens of trailers thousands of miles... Probably didn't spend more than $150 bucks on the whole mess...

Pretty is usually overpriced... Functional is inexpensive and, well, functional...

Pretty, is functional, too. And being that this is aluminum, probably a lot lighter, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

daberk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm looking at a B&W Stow & Tow hitch for my truck. I currently only pull a boat trailer that requires a 2" ball.

The B&W is a multi ball hitch that can have either 2 or 3 balls on it. Available combinations are 2" & 2 5/16", 1 7/8" & 2", or 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16". Originally I was thinking about the 3 ball configuration for versatility but would anything requiring 2 5/16" be too heavy for a stock 1500 anyway?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at a B&W Stow & Tow hitch for my truck. I currently only pull a boat trailer that requires a 2" ball.

The B&W is a multi ball hitch that can have either 2 or 3 balls on it. Available combinations are 2" & 2 5/16", 1 7/8" & 2", or 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16". Originally I was thinking about the 3 ball configuration for versatility but would anything requiring 2 5/16" be too heavy for a stock 1500 anyway?

No, not at all. I mean some things would be too heavy for a 1500 but there’s a lot of trailers that aren’t, especially travel trailers that are well within the capabilities of a stock half-ton that have a 2&5/16ths ball. Most of those you’re probably gonna be using a weight distribution hitch with those but there’s also enclosed trailers that may use that larger ball too.

My boss’s heavy duty two axle flatbed that I used a haul a friends car down to a transmission shop had a 2 5/16 hitch. The car wasn’t real heavy but the trailer was made to haul much more weight.

Bottom line, there’s gonna be a lot less instances where you’d need a 2-5/16s ball but it’s still good to have it. Slot more than the 1-7/8ths ball unless you’ve got something already that still uses that tiny of a ball.

I heavily considered that B&W hitch but it just seemed like it had to much wiggle between the moving parts. And I didn’t like how it couldn’t easily be taken apart. It seemed like it’s design to never need removing from the hitch made it to complicated for me. lol. Also didn’t like that it was steel. My aluminum one is much more beefy but it’s not near as heavy.

My WeighSafe’s been in my hitch ever since March but that’s only because every couple of weeks I take my mower over to my moms house to cut her grass. Once winter comes around,
The hitch is gonna get cleaned up and stowed back in the box in my truck bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk