Thoughts on air suspension? It is worth it? Will it break down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dealer can adjust the parameters for each corner so they can fix the low corner for you.
Thanks i may try to get them to do that again next time it's in.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When i got my 16 the actually advised against air. Lots of issues up here in the winter time. Dont know if the new ones are any better or not.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
When i got my 16 the actually advised against air. Lots of issues up here in the winter time. Dont know if the new ones are any better or not.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

So far I haven’t heard of issues in the 5th gen compared to 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m on my 6th Ram since 1997. The present and last one, have had the 4 corner suspension. I won’t own one without it now. I haul a 860lb motorcycle from time to time and pull a car hauler. The self leveling is awesome and stops the drag ass when pulling or moving weight. The lowering to load, ppl or stuff, makes life easy. I have the max care lifetime warranty so I have peace of mind. I’ve never had an issue and well worth the money.

Porkbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I read where some folks up north where it gets reallly cold have had some problems with air suspension in the winter, but not a lot.

bootucker10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l diesel
have a 2016 ram . it works beautifully pulling 16k horse trailer a so steady , horses like it . i've had just bladder systems in the past , but the firestone rubber starts to leak about 3 yrs , so had to pump to 100 psig before each trip . the current system is much better ..

Ray Hamilton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie Limited with 40,000 miles on it. The only issue I have seen is in extremely cold temperatures sometimes I will get a message that it needs service and it goes into a safe suspension mode. As soon as the outside temperature raises a bit the message goes away and the suspension returns to normal operation. I like the system.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In northern Canada they don't order the air suspension. doesn't like the -30s or colder. I've heard of some anomalies making it but if your in a warmer area go for it.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a few trucks I am going to look at this afternoon and some have the air suspension. Just don't know if it is worth it, and how long it will last and the maintenance of it if it breaks. Would love some insight

Don't matter [if it breaks dwon a hundred times] if you get the Max Care Lifetime...

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a few trucks I am going to look at this afternoon and some have the air suspension. Just don't know if it is worth it, and how long it will last and the maintenance of it if it breaks. Would love some insight
Mine stopped working the days the dealer dealt with Chrysler and no fix, so I sold our o n the spot for new truck. It would like to exit height on b the freeway

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer can adjust the parameters for each corner so they can fix the low corner for you.

Mine was in the shop for 2 weeks with the same problem and no fix. Best they can do was the response, still lower on drivers front

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Laramie w/air ride. Only 4000 miles.

5th generation air ride is different than 4th generation...hopefully that indicates it is improved.

The 2019 Air Ride is noticeably better than my 2014 Big Horn without air but suprisingly when I upgraded the 2014 to Michelin LTX Defenders and Bilstein 5100's the ride quality was every bit as good as air ride. I did the tires about a month prior to the Bilsteins. I was very surprised how just the tires improved the ride.

I did find another great benefit of the air ride yesterday. It was nice to be able to lower it in an underground parking garage...just a little extra piece of mind.

Air ride might be more difficult to change tire size much. I will likely buy the extended warranty so I don't need to worry about repairs.

Good luck!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2019 Laramie w/air ride. Only 4000 miles.

5th generation air ride is different than 4th generation...hopefully that indicates it is improved.

The 2019 Air Ride is noticeably better than my 2014 Big Horn without air but suprisingly when I upgraded the 2014 to Michelin LTX Defenders and Bilstein 5100's the ride quality was every bit as good as air ride. I did the tires about a month prior to the Bilsteins. I was very surprised how just the tires improved the ride.

I did find another great benefit of the air ride yesterday. It was nice to be able to lower it in an underground parking garage...just a little extra piece of mind.

Air ride might be more difficult to change tire size much. I will likely buy the extended warranty so I don't need to worry about repairs.

Good luck!

Good luck with it man, I hope it works forever for you. The air suspension is not very kind to me.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost 5k, no issues here. Also the coldest it gets here is maybe low 30s once or twice a year.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Almost 5k, no issues here. Also the coldest it gets here is maybe low 30s once or twice a year.

If you get a chance can you measure the height from the top of your tires to the bottom of your front fenders. If the passenger and drivers side are the same height then it looks like they have corrected the problem in the 19's. My 17 sits lower on drivers side when in normal, off rd1, and off rd2 height.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get a chance can you measure the height from the top of your tires to the bottom of your front fenders. If the passenger and drivers side are the same height then it looks like they have corrected the problem in the 19's. My 17 sits lower on drivers side when in normal, off rd1, and off rd2 height.
Was you truck "tilted" like that when it was new? Did you have to measure it to notice it? Or could you notice it just by eyeballing it?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was you truck "tilted" like that when it was new? Did you have to measure it to notice it? Or could you notice it just by eyeballing it?

I measured it but know I can notice it as well. Hard to tell by just looking. I started a case with FCA and now my truck is back in the shop and I'm in a loaner again. The service manager said they have had trucks like mine but it will take time to find the problem. Lets see what they find out with the tech support of corporate.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I measured it but know I can notice it as well. Hard to tell by just looking. I started a case with FCA and now my truck is back in the shop and I'm in a loaner again. The service manager said they have had trucks like mine but it will take time to find the problem. Lets see what they find out with the tech support of corporate.
Good luck !