Thoughts on air suspension? It is worth it? Will it break down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Laramie w/air ride. Only 4000 miles.

5th generation air ride is different than 4th generation...hopefully that indicates it is improved.

The 2019 Air Ride is noticeably better than my 2014 Big Horn without air but suprisingly when I upgraded the 2014 to Michelin LTX Defenders and Bilstein 5100's the ride quality was every bit as good as air ride. I did the tires about a month prior to the Bilsteins. I was very surprised how just the tires improved the ride.

I did find another great benefit of the air ride yesterday. It was nice to be able to lower it in an underground parking garage...just a little extra piece of mind.

Air ride might be more difficult to change tire size much. I will likely buy the extended warranty so I don't need to worry about repairs.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How is it different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little over 14,000 miles on my Limited and no troubles as of yet.

One question tho, maybe even for those that have a little unevenness, how does the calibration setting work?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is it different?

"Completely unique to the light-duty segment, the automatic or driver-operated
Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension System is available on all trim levels
(except Ram HFE). The system has been modified for 2019 Ram 1500, now
with a redesigned air supply unit in a single unit to increase capability and
reduce weight. It’s also been retuned for the new, lighter-weight frame and
chassis components."

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Completely unique to the light-duty segment, the automatic or driver-operated
Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension System is available on all trim levels
(except Ram HFE). The system has been modified for 2019 Ram 1500, now
with a redesigned air supply unit in a single unit to increase capability and
reduce weight. It’s also been retuned for the new, lighter-weight frame and
chassis components."

Very interesting information, I guess it will take time to see if the redesign improves the reliability of the system. Let's hope so.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"redesigned air supply unit in a single unit"

Not sure if good or bad.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not sure if good or bad.
Not sure but I think the theory is to reduce the potential amount of breakdowns. 1 compressor to go bad instead of 4.

I think it also moves the compressor to a more weather protected location as well.

Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as well.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have a dog in this fight (no air suspension on my truck nor would I buy it) but looking at all the threads about people with air suspension issues, the amount of parts does not seem to be the issue.

There are stories of people having the truck bought back because they couldn't fix the air suspension. I know its not the easiest thing in the world but you could literally throw parts at it until it was done, yet dealers and/or FCA choose not to.

The fact that the dealer needs to take more than 8 minutes to try and diagnose it seems to be the major issue. No one wants to spend the time to help a customer under warranty.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not sure if good or bad.
I’m assuming that means that they went from a two-tank system down to a single tank that holds the nitrogen? If so I guess that means that’s the reason why the guys who have had problems with the front end slamming down outta the blue, is because maybe the front and the back are on their own system which means one tank is for the front and the other tank is for the back?

I guess that could be better if that is the case and both ends drop when there’s a problem, instead of just the front or the back. Hopefully they did some redesigning since there have been a lot of reported problems with this air ride system.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure but I think the theory is to reduce the potential amount of breakdowns. 1 compressor to go bad instead of 4.

I think it also moves the compressor to a more weather protected location as well.

Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as well.

I would think that if anything, there would be just two compressors- one for the front, one hit the back.

Maybe you’re right, putting the compressor in a more insulated space that wasn’t subjected as much to the cold air, might improve its operation dramatically but I don’t really think that is totally and necessarily the problem. I think the problem is cheaply made plastic components. I dunno maybe I’m wrong but if the four corner air ride system on these trucks was a whole lot better built, better designed, made with stronger, and more reliable and pert’near indestructible parts, you probly wouldn’t ever hear much issue out of if. Only problem with that theory though is if they did all that, that’d make the system do damned expensive that it’d drive cost of the truck up so much that nobody would buy it. Lol.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have a dog in this fight (no air suspension on my truck nor would I buy it) but looking at all the threads about people with air suspension issues, the amount of parts does not seem to be the issue.

There are stories of people having the truck bought back because they couldn't fix the air suspension. I know its not the easiest thing in the world but you could literally throw parts at it until it was done, yet dealers and/or FCA choose not to.

The fact that the dealer needs to take more than 8 minutes to try and diagnose it seems to be the major issue. No one wants to spend the time to help a customer under warranty.

You make some very good points. Once I opened a case with FCA things at the dealer started to move at a faster pace. Currently waiting for a reservoir that's on back order for 10 days. Crossing my fingers that this is it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well yeah, they ain’t gonna pay for **** that’s not the problem.

It’s just like when only less than a couple of years in to owing last truck, I had to have the ac compressor replaced because of a seal that went bad around the shaft there where it seals the unit just behind the pulley. My extended warranty that I had bought, wasn’t gonna pay to have the dryer replaced too because it wasn’t a bad part, and they weren’t gonna pay to replace a part that wasn’t bad. Even when I told them that, if they don’t, the warranty of the new compressor is automatically void because the dryer wasn’t replaced. They literally said that’s fine, that if the new compressor fails 6 months after putting it on there, they’ll replace it again. I just laughed and said, ok. Lol.

I may be wrong but I still think the dealerships are at the mercy of the manufacturer when it comes to that since Chrysler’s footing the bill.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, they arent going to pay for parts that arent the problem, but the real issue is that they cant find the problem. So, it really COULD be said parts, but they cant/wont/dont prove it.

And yeah, someone has to foot the bill, but the fact that FCA will buy back trucks instead of fixing them just proves how effed up their service setup is. Im sure it cost them more money to deal with a buyback/lemon law than it would have just to fix the damn truck. But I suppose they take the "it wont happen that often" view on it. They probably figure the customer will trade in or sell the truck rather than fight FCA for it. They lose a customer but I guess they dont care?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, its a sealed system. So basic testing principles of ANY sealed system should apply.

Not sure how they set it up in the trucks but it shouldn't be too hard to isolate each part to pressure test. Or even just narrow it down to front/rear first then go from there.

But again, it takes time and the dealers don't want to spend the time (for whatever reason).

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, they arent going to pay for parts that arent the problem, but the real issue is that they cant find the problem. So, it really COULD be said parts, but they cant/wont/dont prove it.
The dealerships are probably under the strict instruction of Chrysler. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there was only a very small handful of mechanics throughout the country that knows the ins and outs of exactly how these air ride systems work and where to start when they act up. Most times I would think that when a customer brings in an air ride truck that they probably have bo idea what to do or where to start and especially on a warranty deal, that they’d probably have to follow Chrysler’s strict diagnostic procedures.

And yeah, someone has to foot the bill, but the fact that FCA will buy back trucks instead of fixing them just proves how effed up their service setup is. Im sure it cost them more money to deal with a buyback/lemon law than it would have just to fix the damn truck. But I suppose they take the "it wont happen that often" view on it. They probably figure the customer will trade in or sell the truck rather than fight FCA for it. They lose a customer but I guess they dont care?

Kinda makes you wonder, don’t it. You would think that Chrysler would be more interested in fixing the truck and keeping a happy customer but unfortunately they’re gonna do what’s cheaper. Too many nickel and dime bean counters in charge of that I’m afraid.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But again, it takes time and the dealers don't want to spend the time (for whatever reason).

Again, if it’s a warranty deal, the dealers aren’t paying for it. They shouldn’t care what all it takes to fix your vehicle as long as Chrysler ok’s them (and pays them) to do it.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed something today that kinda concerned me a little on my truck when I was underneath it readjusting my tail pipes after putting my new Carven exhaust on a few weeks ago. You know how like it’s been mentioned that sometimes the compressor will kick in just outta the blue when the truck is completely off, key out of it, no one in it and locked up? Well, when I was under there, the compressor happened to kick on when I was removing the passenger side exhaust hanger and I noticed that the compressor was shaking when it was on. I figured for the most part - that was ok since I’m sure it’s probably suspended about the same way the exhaust is so that it doesn’t cause vibrations or rattles but o don’t think it shoulda shook that much. After it shut off, I reached up there with my hand and I was able to shake it quite a bit. I wonder if because that, if that might be shaking lines loose, or worse, cracking them to the point that it’s getting moisture in the system? What y’all think in that, or should that even be considered a problem?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed something today that kinda concerned me a little on my truck when I was underneath it readjusting my tail pipes after putting my new Carven exhaust on a few weeks ago. You know how like it’s been mentioned that sometimes the compressor will kick in just outta the blue when the truck is completely off, key out of it, no one in it and locked up? Well, when I was under there, the compressor happened to kick on when I was removing the passenger side exhaust hanger and I noticed that the compressor was shaking when it was on. I figured for the most part - that was ok since I’m sure it’s probably suspended about the same way the exhaust is so that it doesn’t cause vibrations or rattles but o don’t think it shoulda shook that much. After it shut off, I reached up there with my hand and I was able to shake it quite a bit. I wonder if because that, if that might be shaking lines loose, or worse, cracking them to the point that it’s getting moisture in the system? What y’all think in that, or should that even be considered a problem?

I haven't been under my truck but if you have the time I would certainly have it checked before it causes more headaches for you. Still waiting to hear what's happening to mine. Starting to forget about it now it's been so long.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't been under my truck but if you have the time I would certainly have it checked before it causes more headaches for you. Still waiting to hear what's happening to mine. Starting to forget about it now it's been so long.

Yeah and I also felt what felt like as rubber lines, like similar to the feel of an old school fuel line. I figured those would all be hard line or so.

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the rubber lines are to combat the vibrations of the compressor.