Thoughts on Jeep Compass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys had great input on the Chrysler 300 I bought for the kid, so I'm back with a new question.

Wife is looking at Jeep Compasses (year ranges around 2008 to 2012 or so) with the 2.4L engine (I didn't even know they made motors that small) and the CVT. Hey, it's her money.....

Is that driveline decent?

Thanks in advance!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
We had a 2012, and it was a good vehicle until it was rear ended hard. Only had 15,000 miles on it at the time, so unfortunately,I don’t have long term feedback for you.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
The engine is solid and reliable. The CVT transmission is smooth and will serve you well if properly maintained.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
My son had a 2015 good except for the cvt trans. Summertime it would get hot then you'd have to sit and let it cool down then finish your trip( this was highway drive). City driving it was fine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My son had a 2015 good except for the cvt trans. Summertime it would get hot then you'd have to sit and let it cool down then finish your trip( this was highway drive). City driving it was fine.

Wow that's crazy. What was the air temp? It gets pretty hot in MN and I doubt the wife would like this experience.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
Oklahoma, Texas area.
Son was deployed so we watch the vehicle while he was gone. We drove from Lawton, ok to okc to see our youngest that was in school did our business drove home and almost home the transmission light came on and speed dropped could only go about 30 once it cooled down you could go again. If you keep in below 75 it seemed to do good. Just a strange system to me. It didn't come with a dipstick so ordered and checked fluid all was good with that. Then looked at some utube videos as saw some folks with same issues.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I didn't like the one I had, as a rental, waiting for my 2014 Ram 6.4L engine replacement to be completed.

One cold and misty morning I turned the wipers on High and the whole vehicle rocked back and forth in time with the wipers. I kid you not. And...I don't like CV transmissions so that was another strike against it.

When my wife was shopping for a small crossover she tested one out and commented she didn't like the transmission. After testing 8 or so different crossovers she selected the Mazda CX-5 and she loves that rig.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The engine is solid and reliable. The CVT transmission is smooth and will serve you well if properly maintained.
You are the first person I have ever seen say anything good about their CVT.

It's basically a lifted FWD car. Seems to be a good as a basic grocery getter good on gas, though the biggest headache I seem to remember hearing about them was the TIPM/elex issues.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You are the first person I have ever seen say anything good about their CVT.

It's basically a lifted FWD car. Seems to be a good as a basic grocery getter good on gas, though the biggest headache I seem to remember hearing about them was the TIPM/elex issues.

I said they’re good if you properly maintain them. I’ve not seen a single one properly maintained that I recall...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I said they’re good if you properly maintain them. I’ve not seen a single one properly maintained that I recall...
Buddy of mine had a Dart with the CVT. Dealership maintenance visits every time. Car spent more time in the dealer shop than he ever got to drive it. It was a such a lemon they offered him a low mileage used Avenger free and clear.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife had a 2006 when we started dating. I was not a fan of it but they have seemed to gotten a lot of improvements over the years. Seemed under powered and we had to get a lot of things warrantied. She had very low miles on it when we traded it in around 22,*** miles IIRC.

OP
OP
G

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input and answers, I appreciate it. Keep them coming!

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My wife's 2018 Compass Trailhawk was a good little SUV.
Emphasis on little.
After about a year it started feeling pretty cramped.
We ended up trading it in after less than 2 years for a leftover 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and are pretty happy with that.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buddy of mine had a Dart with the CVT. Dealership maintenance visits every time. Car spent more time in the dealer shop than he ever got to drive it. It was a such a lemon they offered him a low mileage used Avenger free and clear.
The Dart never had a CVT. You must be thinking about the DDCT which also is a can of worms.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Dart never had a CVT. You must be thinking about the DDCT which also is a can of worms.
Only gong off his at length, ad nauseum ******** lol. I didn't know a thing about those ****** cars before his complaining and I don't care to know anymore now lol; you say it isn't by all means I will not argue with you.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
My vote: Stay away from Jeep Compass and Patriot.

They were ill conceived designs put out with little thought to compete with other better built small SUVs from anyone else. Buy only if you MUST have a small SUV for off road, which means you need to find one with the costly Trail Hawk package. Consumer Reports has it on their list of used to cars to avoid. And I agree. My neighbor had a Patriot, a dealer queen. My niece had a Compass, it had exhaust, transmission, computer and four wheel drive issues. Avoid any car bigger than a subcompact 4 cylinder that has a CVT. Nobody's gotten one right. My sister's Murano's V6's CVT would do the strangest things. The only vehicle with a "CVT" that I liked was my Suzuki Burgman-650. Scooter. And it wasn't really a CVT, but some kind of weird modified 6 gear automatic.

CVT=TROUBLE

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
My wife's Compass didn't have CVT.
That was the previous gen.

Here's what the current CR review says, and frankly I'd run fast and hard away from any Jeep Compass. I left out the reliability chart with ratings since 2017. Its the worst for the class...

"
Right from the trailhead, the redesigned Compass comes up short in the white-hot small SUV market, earning the dubious distinction as the lowest-rated model in its class. It doesn't measure up in several ways. Factor in a price that's typically higher than better competitors, and the result is that shoppers should be driven in another direction.

The second-generation Compass shares much of its underpinnings with its smaller sibling, the Jeep Renegade. It draws styling inspiration from the Grand Cherokee, namely in the grille and with its softly squared-off edges. But don’t let the similar looks deceive you into thinking this is a worthy heir to the Jeep off-road legacy. Even the Trailhawk version with its raised ride height and red tow hooks is largely for show.

The 180-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is teamed with a nine-speed automatic transmission. This disappointing pairing results in slow acceleration, with delayed downshifts and a lackadaisical response. Performance feels even slower than the numbers suggest. Fuel economy, at 24 mpg overall, is par for the class.

Handling is secure, but the steering isn't particularly quick and is rather vague, denying the driver a feel of precision or control. The brake pedal is overly sensitive, making it hard to reach a smooth stop and putting your coffee cup in danger. The jittery ride is neither very absorbent nor entirely well controlled over undulations.

The cabin has a few token soft surfaces but is otherwise austere. The driver's seat is short on support, and the rear seat forces passengers to sit awkwardly. Cabin quietness is undermined by the coarse engine noise.

The UConnect infotainment system is available in 8.4-, or 7-inch sizes. The touch screen is clear, easy to reach, and responsive. It also controls the optional heated seats and steering wheel, which is inconvenient.

Advanced safety features are optional, including forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, blind spot warning, lane departure warning and rear cross traffic warning.

While pricing may seem enticingly low, with a few desirable features like a power seat, satellite radio, and blind spot warning, a mid-trim Latitude with AWD will brush against the $30,000 mark, putting it in the neighborhood of more capable, fun-to-drive competitors, such as the Ford Escape and Mazda CX-5.

Best Version to Get
The entry-level Compass versions can be had with front- or all-wheel-drive. A manual transmission is available on Sport and Latitude trim. All-wheel drive is standard on Limited and Trailhawk. The Trailhawk comes with a unique appearance, including standard two-tone exterior color and raised height, plus it adds 4WD low gear with off-road tires.

Forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking are standard on the upper trims, and optional elsewhere.

If you're still compelled to get a Compass, go for a Latitude with the Popular Equipment Group and the Safety & Security Group options. The Popular Equipment Package brings a 7-inch touch screen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration, power driver seat with four-way lumbar support, remote start, and dual-zone automatic climate control. The Safety & Security Group brings blind spot warning and rain-sensing wipers.

Notable changes:
The current Compass is entirely different than the previous generation. It's loosely based on the underpinnings of Jeep Renegade. Beginning with the 2019 model year, adaptive cruise control is now optional.

New for 2021 is an 80th Anniversary Edition, featuring unique exterior trim, a power driver's seat with lumbar adjustment, and the Uconnect 8.4 infotainment system.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
CR reviews for the 2008-13 years are no better. In the comments section owners complain about the CVT. And in another bad sign, reliability ratings are impossible to make because of sample size.

There are so many better small CUVs, I'd stay away. Look at the Hyundai Santa Fe or Santa Fe Sport, any Honda CRV or Toyota Rav in the same era and a better car.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My wife's was a Trailhawk.
Got around great in the winter but not a real powerhouse.
Never had any problems with it but quickly realized it was pretty small inside.
She went from a 2014 Cherokee to the 2018 Compass and it didn't seem like a big change at the time but she did miss her V6.
She likes her Grand Cherokee Trailhawk much better!
Frankly, IMO anyone looking at a Compass should just pony up a little more and get a Cherokee.
The price point on both models overlaps quite a bit.