Thoughts on Jeep Compass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
My wife's was a Trailhawk.
Got around great in the winter but not a real powerhouse.
Never had any problems with it but quickly realized it was pretty small inside.
She went from a 2014 Cherokee to the 2018 Compass and it didn't seem like a big change at the time but she did miss her V6.
She likes her Grand Cherokee Trailhawk much better!
Frankly, IMO anyone looking at a Compass should just pony up a little more and get a Cherokee.
The price point on both models overlaps quite a bit.

Agreed.

While the current Cherokee isn't a great ground breaking car, like the original was (and is abysmal in its 4 cylinder version), the "new" 6 is a decent vehicle. Not the most reliable, but a decent all arounder that can go off road with a comfortable ride. When the new USA Cherokee first came out we rented a 6 cylinder on a trip out west, where we were doing lots of back country driving. Frankly, I was disappointed. But I still owned our 1994 Cherokee Country. The only thing the new car did better was highway gas mileage. In every other way it was a disappointment. It felt confining, the ride was so soft my kids got sick in the back seat. Less low end torque, whatever the specs.

Our 94 Cherokee was the best car I've ever owned. Not too small, not too big, lots of power, easy to see out of, could go friggin anywhere, towed 5000 pounds with the tow package, reliable, comfortable. Good looks that held up well and no rust after 200,000 miles of ski country abuse. My kids actually cried when I sold it.

Last edited: