Thoughts on Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys; "cherokee" is not the same car as "grand cherokee". The latter is so much better in every way.

I had a 2012 grand cherokee and still miss it. These things are killer, with the same powertrain as the Ram's (so hemi + 8 speed, or 3.6 + 8 speed, or ED with 8 speed), air ride, they are a little heavy compared to other SUV's that are the same size, but ride so much better and have an amazing 4x4 system. Turn radius is incredible putting many smaller cars to shame.

They are extremely solid at this point as they've been making this model since 2010 (as a 2011 model). Designed and built on the Mercedes platform when Jeep was still owned by Daimler.
I agree I’ve built 4 Grand Cherokee’s 3 Wrangler TJ’s of my own. We currently have 14 Limited with a RRO lift and 32.6 Hankook”’s. The newer model Cherokee’s Rengades, and Compass had some issues with the 9 speeds back a few years ago.
The 8 speeds in the JGC are really good. Look at either a Limited or a Laredo E with the QD11 transfer case as it gives you low range and a choice for mud, snow, rock and if it’s Trail Rated you get the factory skids. Jeep has got it right no matter what anyone says the were the first and they are what all other’s are compered too. Think about everytime a new 4x4 SUV comes out they always, and I mean always co pare it to what Jeep has there already. Good Luck

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big ****** (based on a Ram 1500 chassis but with an independent rear) was officially introduced today.
https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g33861459/jeep-grand-wagoneer-concept/9cd9167cf84e6144716b52d87dcbe4e4.jpg496a037fcd85b2be4028cdb9b3f029be.jpg
I think it looks like a cross between a Renegade and a Compass only uglier. The wife was getting interested in one as replacement for our (her’s especially with 4 Grandchildren now) 14 Grand Limited but no damned way. I am disappointed with it, all the wait and blah.......Not to stir up a controversy because I’m not Ford fan by any means, but look what Ford did with the Bronco, an Iconic look for an Iconic vehicle. Maybe we can get Ram to bring back the Ramcharger, loved my 86 and I’m sure since Ram is it’s own brand now they could bring us a new Ramcharger model. Are you listening Ram?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there wanting to buy a new CDJR product should also look into the Affiliate Rewards program. I just remembered it existed and apparently if your company is on the list you can get 1% under invoice plus any available rebates. Here's the list of companies: https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/content/dam/affiliate-rewards/docs/companylocator.pdf
and here's the actual website where you plug in the company code and generate your control number: https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/
I don't know how much money it could save a person but I might just find out today. I still can't get over all the local CDJR dealers and their add-on's BS. No other dealers around here do that. These idiots want $2500 for paint protection ,floor mats, forever warranty, etc. I hate fighting them on it so more than likely I'll end up back at the Ford dealer looking at Explorer's again. I can be out of there in a couple hours whereas the Jeep store would take 4 hours plus with all the yelling and cussing.

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Trackhawk is the only one I'd even consider. Just not a fan of SUV's in general though. But that's just me.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im blaming you guys....

View attachment 220802
Not trying to steal your thunder but we kind of did the same thing yesterday, although I traded the wife’s Explorer instead. We drove the new Explorer first and I was not impressed with the standard Ecoboost 2.3, what a noisy POS. That new Ford/GM 10spd auto was also glitchy as HELL. The ZF 8 spd is miles ahead of it.

I ended up getting an extra $1400 off with that discount I was talking about in an earlier post. Love the white!

F587E7B4-F4BA-49B5-A23A-BA9BCDDC1366.png

Last edited:

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So my wife are empty-nesters and it's time to replace the old minivan either this year or next year. Something like the Jeep Grand Cherokee is attractive. Any thoughts on it or a good alternative. Will mainly be highway/street driving but also want something that will handle gravel/hills for visiting our son.

While guys are being pretty rough on the Cherokee, we love ours. It’s a ‘19 we bought summer of ‘18. We bought the 2.0 turbo - Limited (I already have the Ram 2500 for towing) and it’s 270 hp and 295 lb. feet torque. Our kids are all out of the house, so it’s plenty big, capable off-road and gets great mpg. If it can handle our Montana winters, it can handle anything!

We started asking why do we always buy big when we’re not carting our kids and the friends around anymore? I love the Cherokee, but that’s why they make so many models - to each his/her own!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Not trying to steal your thunder but we kind of did the same thing yesterday, although I traded the wife’s Explorer instead. We drove the new Explorer first and I was not impressed with the standard Ecoboost 2.3, what a noisy POS. That new Ford/GM 10spd auto was also glitchy as HELL. The ZF 8 spd is miles ahead of it.

I ended up getting an extra $1400 off with that discount I was talking about in an earlier post. Love the white!

View attachment 220822
Congrats! Yes drive a new Explorer...didnt care for it.