Thoughts on my new Power Wagon...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I had been looking at Power Wagons for a while and with the rebates on the '18's I decided to go for it and this why.

Power Wagon priced out with most of the things I was looking for was in the low 60's. The same options in a 1500 would have been about the same. I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the fact that there is no center console in this thing. Having the option of a sixth seat was a necessity for me. However, I wish the seat was better. Also, I hated the console shifter in my 2012 with the stupid front and back cup holders. The front seating is reminiscent of the old bench seats but still super comfortable.

I had a vibration that I mentioned in another thread that was taken car of by the dealership and I must say that I love the way this thing rides. silky smooth for a 2500 and very quiet.

Right off of the lot the truck is set up the way a truck SHOULD be set up. Had I gone with and half ton i'd be trying to figure out what leveling kit to put on it and if the front end was going to fall apart. Not to mention the cost of tires that don't suck in the snow... or rain... or dry pavement!

Gas mileage isn't good. I knew that going into it.

My new favorite truck!

PowerWagon18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
It is my unwavering opinion that the later model Power Wagons are what trucks are meant to be. They sit high, have ample power, are capable, and have a fantastic heritage. The only thing I would change on mine would be the addition of a snorkel, which will probably happen soon. However, I do not approve of the rotary shifter on the new '19 models. Give me knobs, shifters, and levers! If I wanted fancy electronics, I would buy another trim.

LakeFisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like they way mine was set up but it should have come with 35s from the factory. 33s are too small for this truck. I had wheels and tires ready before my truck came in. Would have kept the factory wheels if it didn't have the shiney surface on part of it. Like them otherwise.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
It is my unwavering opinion that the later model Power Wagons are what trucks are meant to be. They sit high, have ample power, are capable, and have a fantastic heritage. The only thing I would change on mine would be the addition of a snorkel, which will probably happen soon. However, I do not approve of the rotary shifter on the new '19 models. Give me knobs, shifters, and levers! If I wanted fancy electronics, I would buy another trim.

I could live with the rotary knob, But I love the column shifter!

I wish these trucks came standard, or even optioned, with a second gas tank.

I second that.

I like they way mine was set up but it should have come with 35s from the factory. 33s are too small for this truck. I had wheels and tires ready before my truck came in. Would have kept the factory wheels if it didn't have the shiney surface on part of it. Like them otherwise.

35's do look really good on these... I'm leaving mine stock and will just admire. Love the Red BTW

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had been looking at Power Wagons for a while and with the rebates on the '18's I decided to go for it and this why.

Power Wagon priced out with most of the things I was looking for was in the low 60's. The same options in a 1500 would have been about the same. I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the fact that there is no center console in this thing. Having the option of a sixth seat was a necessity for me. However, I wish the seat was better. Also, I hated the console shifter in my 2012 with the stupid front and back cup holders. The front seating is reminiscent of the old bench seats but still super comfortable.

I had a vibration that I mentioned in another thread that was taken car of by the dealership and I must say that I love the way this thing rides. silky smooth for a 2500 and very quiet.

Right off of the lot the truck is set up the way a truck SHOULD be set up. Had I gone with and half ton i'd be trying to figure out what leveling kit to put on it and if the front end was going to fall apart. Not to mention the cost of tires that don't suck in the snow... or rain... or dry pavement!

Gas mileage isn't good. I knew that going into it.

My new favorite truck!

My requirements for my truck purchase were... bench seat, column shift, and able to tow my trailer. I bought a used 17 with 21k miles on it. First owner treated it right and i got a great discount on what i considered a new truck. I absolutely love this truck.

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I love my Power Wagon. The only time I have had to take it to the dealer is for the damn recalls I keep getting in the mail. I like the 3 inch factory lift and all the other options that came with. You are right Westwind1124a, gas mileage isn't all that great, but regardless, if you can afford an older model, is worth it!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my Power Wagon. The only time I have had to take it to the dealer is for the damn recalls I keep getting in the mail. I like the 3 inch factory lift and all the other options that came with. You are right Westwind1124a, gas mileage isn't all that great, but regardless, if you can afford an older model, is worth it!

Its more like 1.5” factory lift.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with what others have said. For me, the Power Wagon is what a truck is supposed to be. It is capable, with front and rear lockers, and a flexible and good riding suspension. It has a stout drivetrain, with 3/4 ton truck axles, instead of 1/2 ton or Jeep sized components. It can run 35s stock, and 37s with minimal plastic trimming. It is powerful, with all the power it needs from its 6.4 V8. Towing capacity and cargo capacity are adequate. It is simple and reliable, with a floor mounted shifter to minimize electronics where possible. It has a rugged and durable interior. I like pretty much everything about my Power Wagon.

I just moved back to a Power Wagon after a year of driving a Super Duty Ford. When I got back in and drove the Ram it felt like I was back home again. The interior of the Ram is more comfortable, and better quality. The Ford is a rattle trap in comparison, and the Ford's stereo was really poor quality as well. I'm glad to be back in a Ram.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to local dealer to test drive the PW Monday.
Always had good luck with the 5.7's so looking forward to the 6.4.

Only thing that scares me a little is the marginal towing capacity, I tow an RV quite often and the wife is looking at trailers now. Lol

I agree though.....these are real trucks.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Going to local dealer to test drive the PW Monday.
Always had good luck with the 5.7's so looking forward to the 6.4.

Only thing that scares me a little is the marginal towing capacity, I tow an RV quite often and the wife is looking at trailers now. Lol

I agree though.....these are real trucks.

Airbags and good tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The ‘19s apparently have 7mm of lift over the previous model.

My understanding is the 7mm rise is from the lighter winch. The suspension is the same.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
35's do look really good on these... I'm leaving mine stock and will just admire. Love the Red BTW

Don't do it... Get different tires if you ever plan to take this truck off pavement. The Duratrash on the PWs aren't like what you get from a tire store. Look through any thread in the PW section talking about wheels and tires and there'll be a post about how bad those damn tires are. Several members have gotten holes in them from small rocks or sticks. If it's a matter of money, I understand that. But if you have the means to throw some different tires, even if they aren't 35s, I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Don't do it... Get different tires if you ever plan to take this truck off pavement. The Duratrash on the PWs aren't like what you get from a tire store. Look through any thread in the PW section talking about wheels and tires and there'll be a post about how bad those damn tires are. Several members have gotten holes in them from small rocks or sticks. If it's a matter of money, I understand that. But if you have the means to throw some different tires, even if they aren't 35s, I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I don't do any off-roading. Just a lot of dirt roads so I'm gonna run the stockers until they fall off. Not sure what I'll do then...

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the info. I don't do any off-roading. Just a lot of dirt roads so I'm gonna run the stockers until they fall off. Not sure what I'll do then...

Dirt roads is where the stock duratracs fail. I got a puncture in the center of the tread while driving down a gravel road. Many, many people drive the same roads on car tires and the duratracs couldn’t take it... If you insist on running them make sure to have a plug kit and air available anytime you’re off pavement.667068f7ca4f9f075eac15856bb129bc.jpg

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Dirt roads is where the stock duratracs fail. I got a puncture in the center of the tread while driving down a gravel road. Many, many people drive the same roads on car tires and the duratracs couldn’t take it... If you insist on running them make sure to have a plug kit and air available anytime you’re off pavement.667068f7ca4f9f075eac15856bb129bc.jpg

What are you running for tires now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963