Thoughts on my new Power Wagon...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
35 Toyo MT here as well.

Honestly I think that's what the majority of us are running, but I could be wrong. I know there are some BFG KO2 guys and General Grappler X3s out there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run the KO2s. I think I'm going with toyo R/Ts next. Getting close to that time also.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Its more like 1.5” factory lift.
My understanding is the wagon has a 1.5" lift on the front and 3" lift on the back. Not sure where I sourced that info, but right now mine has enough rake that it wasn't hard to convince me of it.

Dealer really struggle with that question from the beginning, never did give me a straight answer. I told them my list of needs before I would by it which included to hang 35s on her.
'they won't fit', they said (whatever)
'then lift it',
'we can't, warranty' (whatever)
'then I don't want it'
'Oh, it is lifted', said they
'Great, How high?' I asked.
'Uuuuummmm', they replied.
'Whatever, then lift it higher',
'oh hey, we got 35s to fit', (amazing)
'geezus, can I have the keys, please'

Any way, the way my wagon sits compared to 2500s with no lift, the 1.5"/3" config seems possible.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
My understanding is the wagon has a 1.5" lift on the front and 3" lift on the back. Not sure where I sourced that info, but right now mine has enough rake that it wasn't hard to convince me of it.

Dealer really struggle with that question from the beginning, never did give me a straight answer. I told them my list of needs before I would by it which included to hang 35s on her.
'they won't fit', they said (whatever)
'then lift it',
'we can't, warranty' (whatever)
'then I don't want it'
'Oh, it is lifted', said they
'Great, How high?' I asked.
'Uuuuummmm', they replied.
'Whatever, then lift it higher',
'oh hey, we got 35s to fit', (amazing)
'geezus, can I have the keys, please'

Any way, the way my wagon sits compared to 2500s with no lift, the 1.5"/3" config seems possible.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road
Heading to the dealership next week. May bring a tape measure just to see what the difference is....

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its more like 1.5” in front and 1” in back, over a normal 2500.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
^^^^ yeppers. If you go with a Regular 2500 just throw a Thuren kit on it. That and some better tires and I promise that setup will get you pretty much anywhere or do anything you need it to. Aside from serious rock crawling.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah sure, I'm not trying to compare or say the wagon is 3" taller than a regular 2500, although that wasn't entirely clear. I was talking mostly about the possibility of the lift on a wagon being 1.5 / 3. I used the reference of another 2500, maybe poorly, because mine sitting next to my Uncle's was taller and had a **** ton more rake. I didn't have a tape nor a level, didn't check tire size or weight about the back axle cause I didn't really care. that really wasn't my point, comparing the two (so I see I shouldn't have).

But it seemed slightly more logical then comparing it to a Prius although without additional info, I might as well have.lol

Don't really care about the difference, no doubt the 2500 in any trim is a beast. But what I am much more interested in trying to determine is what the actual lift is on a wagon, seems I was not the only one unclear about the spec, including dealerships, which surprised me (at first).

So it's a 1.5" lift, that's good to know, thanks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it's a 1.5" lift, that's good to know, thanks.

:cheers:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah sure, I'm not trying to compare or say the wagon is 3" taller than a regular 2500, although that wasn't entirely clear. I was talking mostly about the possibility of the lift on a wagon being 1.5 / 3. I used the reference of another 2500, maybe poorly, because mine sitting next to my Uncle's was taller and had a **** ton more rake. I didn't have a tape nor a level, didn't check tire size or weight about the back axle cause I didn't really care. that really wasn't my point, comparing the two (so I see I shouldn't have).

But it seemed slightly more logical then comparing it to a Prius although without additional info, I might as well have.lol

Don't really care about the difference, no doubt the 2500 in any trim is a beast. But what I am much more interested in trying to determine is what the actual lift is on a wagon, seems I was not the only one unclear about the spec, including dealerships, which surprised me (at first).

WTF?!?! LOL :insane:

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Nice! Might look at them again

Ran my stock dura's for 50,*** miles and just Saturday had Toyo M/T 35's installed. I wish I would have put these on a loonnnnggg time ago. If I could do it again, I would have taken the stock tires off, sold them to make back some cash and put these Toyo's on from the very beginning. The truck feels like a new/better truck with them.

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
35 Toyo MT here as well.

Honestly I think that's what the majority of us are running, but I could be wrong. I know there are some BFG KO2 guys and General Grappler X3s out there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Running the Cooper ST MAXX in 35 inch, performance and wear so far has been fanstastic......but almost anything is better than the stock Duratracs. (sell them to a jeep guy)

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Running the Cooper ST MAXX in 35 inch, performance and wear so far has been fanstastic......but almost anything is better than the stock Duratracs. (sell them to a jeep guy)

The emphasis seems to be on "stock"
Duratracs. I switched to 35" Duratracs on all my HD Rams and love them and use them on everything from ice/snow to deep sugar sand on the beach and they have never let me down( knock on wood)again these were all 35's even ran the 35s on my Rubicon for years when I had it.
Tried KO2's on my 3500 and had a hard time getting them balanced.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Power Wagon 2500 is an odd duck with less payload and less towing capacity than a 1500 truck. It is only available with the 6.4 gas engine and so the diesel which would provide more power and greater towing capacity and 25% more range on a tank of fuel is not an option. Add in the 31 gallon fuel tank and one has to wonder about how good a choice it would be for use out in the boondocks.

My diesel 2500 has a 36 gallon tank and that means a range that is 50% greater than a Power Wagon 2500 truck. I have driven my share of vehicles where I needed to strap on 5-gal jerry cans to be sure I did not run out of gas many miles from the nearest gas station. I cannot see myself going back to doing that with a Power Wagon.

There are very few trucks for which one can replace the factory tank with an aftermarket one that is larger. Titan makes a 50 gallon tank for gas powered 2500 trucks with the Mega cab and the short bed which means that one has the worst truck for towing but can get a larger fuel tank. Titan also makes a 55 gal tank for the 2500 with the diesel engine though with the Power Wagon one cannot get the diesel engine. So in terms of range on a tank of fuel with the Power Wagon one is pretty much screwed any way you look at it.

Ram is not alone as the Chevy 1500 trucks come with a 26 gallon tank and that is just as much of a limitation, although they will have a diesel engine option for 2020 models which does help a little.

So the Power Wagon is not a good choice for serious towing or for serious trail running.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lack of towing capacity and payload may be over stated.

It's all due to the suspension which accommodates offroad capabilities.

Firm up the rear with a quality weight distribution hitch and or air bags and the numbers increase substantially.
The power and components are there.

I've towed 4 different trailers "RV" over 25years and the PW in stock form would comfortably tow all of them.

Slightly over 10k of towing capacity ain't bad for a truck that can spend the day at Moab.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
The Power Wagon 2500 is an odd duck with less payload and less towing capacity than a 1500 truck. It is only available with the 6.4 gas engine and so the diesel which would provide more power and greater towing capacity and 25% more range on a tank of fuel is not an option. Add in the 31 gallon fuel tank and one has to wonder about how good a choice it would be for use out in the boondocks.

My diesel 2500 has a 36 gallon tank and that means a range that is 50% greater than a Power Wagon 2500 truck. I have driven my share of vehicles where I needed to strap on 5-gal jerry cans to be sure I did not run out of gas many miles from the nearest gas station. I cannot see myself going back to doing that with a Power Wagon.

There are very few trucks for which one can replace the factory tank with an aftermarket one that is larger. Titan makes a 50 gallon tank for gas powered 2500 trucks with the Mega cab and the short bed which means that one has the worst truck for towing but can get a larger fuel tank. Titan also makes a 55 gal tank for the 2500 with the diesel engine though with the Power Wagon one cannot get the diesel engine. So in terms of range on a tank of fuel with the Power Wagon one is pretty much screwed any way you look at it.

Ram is not alone as the Chevy 1500 trucks come with a 26 gallon tank and that is just as much of a limitation, although they will have a diesel engine option for 2020 models which does help a little.

So the Power Wagon is not a good choice for serious towing or for serious trail running.

I wouldn't let they size of the gas tank stop anyone. It was mentioned in another post it would be nice to have a larger tank but oh, well. I do very little towing so I don't much care about that either. I do need the bed so there's my truck need. But, living in the northeast I find that the 1500's are too dang low and you have to put a leveling kit on the front just so you don't rip off your front bumper when you pull into your driveway after the plow truck goes through. The last two trucks I had needed Bilsteins and or fox coil overs just to add a couple inches so I could get some new tires on them for a net gain of maybe 3". I loved my 12 sport, but even after doing that it was still so low that I put a 1.5" body lift on it. Worked good and was a great truck. but when I compared what I was getting for the money between a new 1500 or a leftover pw there was no comparison for me. I'm basically going to leave this stock and am thrilled about that. Again, I couldn't be happier with the PW. Out of town right now and can't wait to get home to drive it!

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
The lack of towing capacity and payload may be over stated.

It's all due to the suspension which accommodates offroad capabilities.

Firm up the rear with a quality weight distribution hitch and or air bags and the numbers increase substantially.
The power and components are there.

I've towed 4 different trailers "RV" over 25years and the PW in stock form would comfortably tow all of them.

Slightly over 10k of towing capacity ain't bad for a truck that can spend the day at Moab.

What weight distribution hitch do you recommend?

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not good for serious towing? I agree with that. But not good for serious trail running? You can't be further from the truth. What trail are you running you can't get by on a tank of gas?