Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throttle body cleaning.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by MrHayes, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. MrHayes

MrHayes Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    2010 SLT 5.7 4x4. I'm having stalling issues and some advice I've received here suggested cleaning the throttle body. I popped off the air intake hose today and there is a large amount of build up visible. I'm considering removing the TB and cleaning it myself, but before I commit I was hoping for a guidance from you folks. Are their any parts that should be replaced if I remove the TB? And what would work best to clean it? Thx.

2. Tach_tech

Tach_tech Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    Use throttle body cleaner. Taking it off would be the best way to do it. Only thing you’d need is the throttle body O-ring. They’re reusable but being 10 years old, I would replace it.

MrHayes and tidefan1967 like this.
  3. Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat Never done!

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    When I did mine (2011 1500 5.7) In 2017, I just unhooked intake and connectors, unbolted the throttle body and used CRC throttle body cleaner from Canadian tire. I used a old tooth brush and be carful not to get any cleaner in around the electrical part of it. Throw everything back together. If I was doing now, I’d change the gasket.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  4. Lyle Longboat

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Here’s a link to follow to make it easier for you. Don’t know who this guy is either lol

5. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    If you remove the throttle body disconnect the negative battery post first.Then do a throttle body relearn,which is turn the key to the "run" position with-out starting the engine,wait for the dash lights and bells to quit chiming then slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly return it back to the top with-in 20 seconds,turn key off and then start the engine and drive it around the block.

MrHayes, Burla and tidefan1967 like this.
  6. Lyle Longboat

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Damn never did that or wasn’t informed either! You suppose to do this with all 4th gens or all vehicles in general?

tidefan1967 and Wild one like this.
  7. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    It's not absolutely necessary Lyle,but it doesn't hurt to do anytime the TB is disconnected.The truck will run with-out doing a relearn,but it is recommended you do one .You can still do it now.

Burla, tidefan1967 and Lyle Longboat like this.
  8. srv1

srv1 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7
    is this relearn procedure the same for 3rd gens?also im hearing conflicting answers,some say to use throttle body cleaner and some say do not ever use throttle body cleaner,use brake cleaner.also is it ok to move butterfly after its disconnected?

9. Lyle Longboat

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I didn’t remove mine and just slightly pushed open to clean the areas. I have got her relearned now though. Thanks @Wild one

Wild one likes this.