Throttle body cleaning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrHayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2010 SLT 5.7 4x4. I'm having stalling issues and some advice I've received here suggested cleaning the throttle body. I popped off the air intake hose today and there is a large amount of build up visible. I'm considering removing the TB and cleaning it myself, but before I commit I was hoping for a guidance from you folks. Are their any parts that should be replaced if I remove the TB? And what would work best to clean it? Thx.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Use throttle body cleaner. Taking it off would be the best way to do it. Only thing you’d need is the throttle body O-ring. They’re reusable but being 10 years old, I would replace it.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did mine (2011 1500 5.7) In 2017, I just unhooked intake and connectors, unbolted the throttle body and used CRC throttle body cleaner from Canadian tire. I used a old tooth brush and be carful not to get any cleaner in around the electrical part of it. Throw everything back together. If I was doing now, I’d change the gasket.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you remove the throttle body disconnect the negative battery post first.Then do a throttle body relearn,which is turn the key to the "run" position with-out starting the engine,wait for the dash lights and bells to quit chiming then slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly return it back to the top with-in 20 seconds,turn key off and then start the engine and drive it around the block.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you remove the throttle body disconnect the negative battery post first.Then do a throttle body relearn,which is turn the key to the "run" position with-out starting the engine,wait for the dash lights and bells to quit chiming then slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly return it back to the top with-in 20 seconds,turn key off and then start the engine and drive it around the block.
Damn never did that or wasn’t informed either! You suppose to do this with all 4th gens or all vehicles in general?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Damn never did that or wasn’t informed either! You suppose to do this with all 4th gens or all vehicles in general?

It's not absolutely necessary Lyle,but it doesn't hurt to do anytime the TB is disconnected.The truck will run with-out doing a relearn,but it is recommended you do one .You can still do it now.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
is this relearn procedure the same for 3rd gens?also im hearing conflicting answers,some say to use throttle body cleaner and some say do not ever use throttle body cleaner,use brake cleaner.also is it ok to move butterfly after its disconnected?

OP
OP
MrHayes

MrHayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update. Although I haven't removed my throttle body yet I did however wipe down the mating surface's around the butterfly and housing. Which in turned solved my stalling issues. I can't express how happy I am with finally resolving this matter, and for cheap. I would have wasted a great deal of money on the diagnosis of this problem if it wasn't for the members of this forum. So thanks to all who took the time to hear me out. Also in a effort to show my gratitude I will be donating to the forum in the very near future. Thx again.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now get a catch can so you dont haft to mess with it again.[/QUOTE

Totally agree
Took off my Moe’s ported throttle body and BT catch can before I traded my truck, couldn’t believe how clean everything was
Truck was bought new and throttle body and catch can went on virtually at 0 miles
Removed at 129000Km or 80000miles, with no maintenance in between
Literally spent less than 5 minutes with a rag and a tiny bit of brake cleaner
Did move the blade- only once to hold it open while I cleaned around it
Connected the battery, did the relearn, back in business- painless

OP
OP
MrHayes

MrHayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not familiar with catch cans but I will look into it. I just completed the the TB removal and cleaning plus relearn. This old Ram is running fine. Now to continue with all the rest of the recommended 100k time up's. Thx again gents.

thechase721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s nice reading some of the wisdom/fixes that comes from tribal knowledge... but always remember wisdom usually comes from some sort of suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
From a service manual:

THROTTLE BODY RESET PROCEDURE

If the throttle body has been replaced, or removed, cleaned, and re-installed, the following procedure must be performed:

a. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery. Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.

b. Reconnect negative battery cable to battery.

c. Turn ignition switch ON, but DO NOT crank engine.

d. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.

e. Turn ignition switch to OFF.

f. Turn ignition switch to START position, crank engine normally.

5.7L V-8

CAUTION: Do not use spray (carb) cleaners on any part of the throttle body. Do not apply silicone lubricants to any part of the throttle body.

(Use BRAKE CLEANER sprayed on a cloth to remove deposits, do NOT spray BRAKE CLEANER directly into the throttle body.}

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
From a service manual:

If the throttle body has been replaced, or removed, cleaned, and re-installed, the following procedure must be performed:

a. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery. Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.

d. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.

5.7L V-8

CAUTION: Do not use spray (carb) cleaners on any part of the throttle body. Do not apply silicone lubricants to any part of the throttle body.

(Use BRAKE CLEANER sprayed on a cloth to remove deposits, do NOT spray BRAKE CLEANER directly into the throttle body.}
would this be the way to correctly clean my 2k4 5.7l tb?also do i need to depress the gas pedal at any point during the tb reset ?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I replace mine a 90mm from ebay works great cheaper price than bbc i just installed and ran 50 miles seem no more light and works fine so wrong way but did work !

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From a service manual:

5.7L V-8

I use GM cleaner PN 1052626, A/C Delco # 10-3007.... It is a white foamy cleaner that resembles bathroom bubbling cleaner and it smells like sweet ammonia. It has no alcohol to damage electrical components and does a fantastic cleaning job. I use it across the board!