Throttle Position sensor light with no check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatsnotstock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 08 1500 2wd quad cab with 98k on it, Starts up in the morning after sitting all night with no problems and no lights. After 5 to 9 miles the Throttle Position light )z( will come on, engine runs ruff idles at 1200 rpm and no throttle response. No check engine light or codes picked up with a scanner. Replaced the TPS sensor assembly, ran with temp sensor disconnected with no change in symptoms. Once it is warmed up the TPS light will be on with key on, it will start but run ruff and limited to 1200 rpm.

Would this be a accelerator pedal sensor or another sensor causing this issue. I have searched hi and low and have not found one with the same issue.

Thanks in advance

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
What is [z]? If you have a throttle position sensor going bad its most likely going to give you a check engine light and looks like a engine do you have a scanner to read engine data or a code reader to just give you codes and give you a idea of where to look a scanner can get inside the computer to see whats happening.The throttle position sensor is a little servo motor on the side of the throttle body there are two screws on the side of it and a plug on it.

OP
OP
thatsnotstock

thatsnotstock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is [z]? If you have a throttle position sensor going bad its most likely going to give you a check engine light and looks like a engine do you have a scanner to read engine data or a code reader to just give you codes and give you a idea of where to look a scanner can get inside the computer to see whats happening.The throttle position sensor is a little servo motor on the side of the throttle body there are two screws on the side of it and a plug on it.

The TPS light looks like (z) on the dash. I know what the check engine light is. and at no time is the check light on, just the TPS light. As stated I already replaced the Throttle sensor. I do not have a engine data tool, code reader/clear only.

ETC.GIF

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get this I have had a throttle position be bad brand new.My truck is a 05 and I got a check engine light they may have made a slight change that is why i ask you about that light.You really need to see if you can get it scanned so you can get the data and find out what is giving your truck fits.If there is any help just keep asking someone will have a answer for whats going on.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did allitle research question does your throttle body have cables on the side of it ? On yours i think yours be controlled by wire I'm not one hundred percent sure .On mine the throttle position sensor is a little servo that has two screws that controls the throttle plate .Your part you replaced maybe bad too.I will stiil see you can get someone with a scanner to check live data for you.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got to look at my instrument cluster there isn't any place on the tach that has that light as i suspected they changed stuff on the 08.I really hope you can get your problem fixed.

OP
OP
thatsnotstock

thatsnotstock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I took the truck to a local shop, They tell me that the batter terminals are on the wrong sides and the battery cables are bad causing high resistance on the positive terminal side of the electrical system and they need to replace them first, $380 before they can continue to diagnose. WTF, seriously going to try some ******** on me. Battery is a year old and hold 12.8v all day long, System runs at 13.8 to 14v so battery is not the issue. I went ahead and replaced the battery cables and cleaned the grounds. Ran truck for about an hour and then issue came back. When it was running I was able to get a screen shot of the parameters my scan tool reads. I believe the throttle position and throttle position B should have the same reading. I cant log the data to see if there is a bigger difference in the readings. Can anyone confirm if they should always be the same?

Screen_DashCommand.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the battery cables are on the wrong sides .You would fry your computer and stuff you would have more problems than you have.

OP
OP
thatsnotstock

thatsnotstock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the battery cables are on the wrong sides .You would fry your computer and stuff you would have more problems than you have.

The cables are connected + to + and - to -, The battery itself the + is on towards the front and the - is on the firewall side. Factory it is the opposite. That is what they said was causing my issue.

OP
OP
thatsnotstock

thatsnotstock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership found that one of the power supply wires to the Throttle Positions Sensor had an intermittent short. They ran a new wire to bypass that circuit and truck runs fine now.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I be dog that is really great news.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I took the truck to a local shop, They tell me that the batter terminals are on the wrong sides and the battery cables are bad causing high resistance on the positive terminal side of the electrical system and they need to replace them first, $380 before they can continue to diagnose. WTF, seriously going to try some ******** on me. Battery is a year old and hold 12.8v all day long, System runs at 13.8 to 14v so battery is not the issue. I went ahead and replaced the battery cables and cleaned the grounds. Ran truck for about an hour and then issue came back. When it was running I was able to get a screen shot of the parameters my scan tool reads. I believe the throttle position and throttle position B should have the same reading. I cant log the data to see if there is a bigger difference in the readings. Can anyone confirm if they should always be the same?

View attachment 127322

What a ****** shop!!! I hate shops that lie and think people are straight up stupid. If a person connected their battery backwards it would blow up almost immediately. Then attempt to sell a new battery and cables is just wrong...
What ever happened to being honest and reputable????

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The cables are connected + to + and - to -, The battery itself the + is on towards the front and the - is on the firewall side. Factory it is the opposite. That is what they said was causing my issue.

And usually color coded also

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From too fastf too furious top of the day sir McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
From too fastf too furious top of the day sir McBroom

How ya been fastf??? I been trying to find some free money for truck mods. No luck yet.
Hmmm 2010infantryvet was talking bout starting a go fund me page for modding his truck... maybe I’ll do that too. LOL

Last edited:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could help gotta put wife back in the hospital to get her heart rythem right.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I wish I could help gotta put wife back in the hospital to get her heart rythem right.

I understand that. I hope she heals fast no complications. I’m putting y’all both in my prayers.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I understand that. I hope she heals fast no complications. I’m putting y’all both in my prayers.

^^^^ tell her to get well fast and that she’s in our prayers fastf.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334