Thud when taking off from stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine also does it after I get off a long drive on the interstate or when it’s cold in the morning before it warms up.
Then it stops. Is yours the same?

Mine does it after is warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck has a 2 piece driveshaft, the slip yoke is binding up and making that noise. The fix is a simple matter of lubricating the slip yoke. GM fought this for years. We'd use PTFE based grease and fix the problem.

Thank you!! I will bring this up when i take it in

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have them check the drive shaft. I had this same issue with a Nissan Titan. After two rear end swaps, and a driveshaft replacement, it turned out to be the splines on the two piece shaft binding. Final fix was cleaning and polishing the splines and a “special” grease (whatever that means). Seems to be a common problem on all makes with multi-section driveshafts.
Felt like a bowling ball rolling back and forth under the seat when taking off from a stop.

Thank you. I will bring all this ip when i take it in and hopefully they fix it

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
This just started happened with my brother-in-law 2019 classic about a month ago and was told it was the his transfer case. He also told them he feels a vibration along with the thud. He just dropped off his truck this morning for the repair. Hope this helps

Hi @Krein - If your brother-in-law is in need of any additional support while working with his dealer, our customer care teams are available! He may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my driveshaft replaced which fixed the issue now after months it's back will see if the dealership lube can correct it for good.

Thomas Haslam

Reaction score
Ram Year
17 crew cab
Engine
My 2017 ram 1500 5.7 has did the same thing from almost the day I drove it off the lot took it to the dealer and they said nothing wrong I've got 75000 miles on it has not stop at all

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am also curious about this 2-pc driveshaft. When did this start and why. I could maybe see it on a mega-cab with an 8 foot bed. How common is this and again "WHY"?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am also curious about this 2-pc driveshaft. When did this start and why. I could maybe see it on a mega-cab with an 8 foot bed. How common is this and again "WHY"?

I will keep updating this thread after the 11th, thats when i have appt at dealership to try to get this fixed

TRAXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck has a 2 piece driveshaft, the slip yoke is binding up and making that noise. The fix is a simple matter of lubricating the slip yoke. GM fought this for years. We'd use PTFE based grease and fix the problem.

I too have the thud issue, since about 10-15k miles. Taken it to the dealer with the complaint, they reset the trans but it never fixed it. Thanks for the tip Sherman Bird! Ill have to try this out.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Try also going into vehicle settings and disabling hill start assist.

I had the thud when coming to a stop but thats usually due to the way the transmission skips gears or something during the downshift, but starting off with a thud is probably driveshaft/yoke related

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try also going into vehicle settings and disabling hill start assist.

I had the thud when coming to a stop but thats usually due to the way the transmission skips gears or something during the downshift, but starting off with a thud is probably driveshaft/yoke related

Think about a bow and arrow. When you stop the truck, the combined braking and the lifting up on the rear body as the nose goes down causes the leaf springs to bow as if yo pull back on an arrow to load the bow. While stopped and the spring in bowed tension and the driveshaft in the extended position, all is good.... when the brakes are released and the gas pedal is hit, the bow in the rear springs relaxes and the rear of the body returns to nromal height.... and as the driveshaft yoke tries to return to it's previous compressed position, if it is dry, it will suddenly release and the result is the "thud/boom" from the driveshaft, differential, springs returning to normal positions.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think about a bow and arrow. When you stop the truck, the combined braking and the lifting up on the rear body as the nose goes down causes the leaf springs to bow as if yo pull back on an arrow to load the bow. While stopped and the spring in bowed tension and the driveshaft in the extended position, all is good.... when the brakes are released and the gas pedal is hit, the bow in the rear springs relaxes and the rear of the body returns to nromal height.... and as the driveshaft yoke tries to return to it's previous compressed position, if it is dry, it will suddenly release and the result is the "thud/boom" from the driveshaft, differential, springs returning to normal positions.

Thanks for the info

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back from dealership, they said it was normal. Took the mechanic on a ride and he was a ********* basically. Kept calling it a 9 speed

Dont know what steps to take next. Do i take this to my mechanic and have him grease the splines and whatever needs to be greased?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back from dealership, they said it was normal. Took the mechanic on a ride and he was a ********* basically. Kept calling it a 9 speed

Dont know what steps to take next. Do i take this to my mechanic and have him grease the splines and whatever needs to be greased?

It depends upon whether or not you want to solve the problem.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Leaf spring? What year model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro