Thud when taking off from stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes my love my 2011 5 speed with 200k+ even more guna run this thing into the ground aha. I hope you guys get it figured it out have been seeing lot of threads lately for trans thumps and bumps for 8 speeds/newer rams lately same for newer jeeps appears to be a thing at the moment.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2018... it doesn't have any thumps.... that transmission is as close to perfect as I could imagine an automatic transmission ever being.

But if it did.... I'd be trying to figure it out too...I'm admittedly not real familiar with these new trucks, but I can't think of anything that would cause a thump in the transmission that is in any way influenced by the brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Have you ever noticed a bump right as you come to a stop? Both an old Chevy and my current Tacoma did/do that. If I pay attention, I can feel the slip yoke slide one direction right as I come to a stop and when I let off the brake to accelerate, it clunks back the other direction. Has to do with axle wrap I think. With my Chevy, I had to pull the drive shaft and lube up the splines, but the Tacoma has a zerk fitting where I can pump some grease in about every 6 months. Not sure that this is what it is and I wouldn't expect a brand new truck to do this, but stranger things have happened I guess.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever noticed a bump right as you come to a stop? Both an old Chevy and my current Tacoma did/do that. If I pay attention, I can feel the slip yoke slide one direction right as I come to a stop and when I let off the brake to accelerate, it clunks back the other direction. Has to do with axle wrap I think. With my Chevy, I had to pull the drive shaft and lube up the splines, but the Tacoma has a zerk fitting where I can pump some grease in about every 6 months. Not sure that this is what it is and I wouldn't expect a brand new truck to do this, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Cant say that ive experienced it coming to a stop. Im not mechanically inclined to work on these newer cars. Brake pads, oil change i can do no problem, the other stuff meh [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I was told by a friend who works for Chrysler that these trucks are just constantly learning your driving patterns and trying to adjust to it to get better performance out of it ... not sure how that works but he must know something ....

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told by a friend who works for Chrysler that these trucks are just constantly learning your driving patterns and trying to adjust to it to get better performance out of it ... not sure how that works but he must know something ....

So a transmission reset theoretically should fix it (if thats the problem)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
So a transmission reset theoretically should fix it (if thats the problem)

Possibly .... I couldn't tell you, just repeating what he told me ..

I used to get this "thud" and also vibration, the vibration was fixed by adding a carrier bearing spacer since I have a 2 piece drive shaft, since then I have not had the "thud" anymore .... I don't know if these 2 issues are connected to each other but that is what god rid of both on my truck ...

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possibly .... I couldn't tell you, just repeating what he told me ..

I used to get this "thud" and also vibration, the vibration was fixed by adding a carrier bearing spacer since I have a 2 piece drive shaft, since then I have not had the "thud" anymore .... I don't know if these 2 issues are connected to each other but that is what god rid of both on my truck ...

I think mine is the 2 piece drive shaft as well, how do i know for sure? No vibration though, just that weird thud that sounds like something engaged

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Since it's not lifted you can eliminate the possibility of being do to the 2 piece drive shaft needing the carrier bearing spacer

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you relearn the transmission does it go away for a while then comesback?

It doesnt bother me much, only happens if i quickly let go of the brake, if i easy it out it doesnt happen.

It was bothering my wife when she rides with me and she brought it up since we just got the truck

Yes sir, it did just that - went away temporarily and then came back. I quit worrying about it.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir, it did just that - went away temporarily and then came back. I quit worrying about it.

Im done reading up on it or is gonna make me worry more. Thanks to all of you guys for your inouts. Im taking it to the dealership on monday and hope they fic it under the 36k mile warranty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Im done reading up on it or is gonna make me worry more. Thanks to all of you guys for your inouts. Im taking it to the dealership on monday and hope they fic it under the 36k mile warranty

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.... it's just the way these trucks run

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Mark DeRoncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my ram about a week ago and ive noticed that when im at a stop and take my foot off the brake quickly theres a slight thud. Ive been reading through all the topics on this and google searches and they suggest a transmission reset from the dealer to learn my driving habits. How true is this or is there more to it? Any help appreciated

Truck is a 2019 1500 crew cab classic body style.

Mark DeRoncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my ram about a week ago and ive noticed that when im at a stop and take my foot off the brake quickly theres a slight thud. Ive been reading through all the topics on this and google searches and they suggest a transmission reset from the dealer to learn my driving habits. How true is this or is there more to it? Any help appreciated

Have them check the drive shaft. I had this same issue with a Nissan Titan. After two rear end swaps, and a driveshaft replacement, it turned out to be the splines on the two piece shaft binding. Final fix was cleaning and polishing the splines and a “special” grease (whatever that means). Seems to be a common problem on all makes with multi-section driveshafts.
Felt like a bowling ball rolling back and forth under the seat when taking off from a stop.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If your truck has a 2 piece driveshaft, the slip yoke is binding up and making that noise. The fix is a simple matter of lubricating the slip yoke. GM fought this for years. We'd use PTFE based grease and fix the problem.

Rocketjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has done this since day one, 2014 Laramie. Brought to dealer six times twice in different cities, one said fluid low another fluid high another was about to change out tranny but never got approval from Ram had tranny reset six times and then I was told 1quart too much fluid from factory. Works smoother but when -20 to -30 hits it still does it And sometimes pretty hard. I have over 100k and still going strong.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine also does it after I get off a long drive on the interstate or when it’s cold in the morning before it warms up.
Then it stops. Is yours the same?