Thuren 1.5 front springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m running 37’s on my 12PW with about 42 cold upfront and 38 cold in the rear, don’t worry about the tpms unless you go into the low 30’s on-road. If you’re airing down for off road I run min around 30lbs when wheeling.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is it the bilsteins that cause the bounce on these trucks, highway ride is nice things get bouncy.

I had 5100s on my 1500 4x4 and it was bouncy offroad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My ride is bouncy or bumpy as well on city streets. Doesn't really bother me but my wife and daughter have complained....they get to many typo's when texting! I'm going to lower the tire pressure to see if it helps (currently running 62psi on E rated 75 psi max tires). Been meaning to do this since I bought the truck but keep forgetting. I'm curious if some Thuren springs/shocks or complete suspension system would help reduce the bumpy ride on city streets?

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
My ride is bouncy or bumpy as well on city streets. Doesn't really bother me but my wife and daughter have complained....they get to many typo's when texting! I'm going to lower the tire pressure to see if it helps (currently running 62psi on E rated 75 psi max tires). Been meaning to do this since I bought the truck but keep forgetting. I'm curious if some Thuren springs/shocks or complete suspension system would help reduce the bumpy ride on city streets?

Try adj tire pressures first, on E rated tires I run around 46-47psi f, & 36-37psi r unloaded...
PSI adj made the biggest difference in ride, not to say the Thuren system wasn`t a huge improvement but adj the psi is the best place to start!

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Try adj tire pressures first, on E rated tires I run around 46-47psi f, & 36-37psi r unloaded...
PSI adj made the biggest difference in ride, not to say the Thuren system wasn`t a huge improvement but adj the psi is the best place to start!
Awesome! I like that the much cheaper option made a bigger difference but I do have my eye on some Thuren hardware.

OP
OP
jabartram

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How do yall get your tire pressures that low without tpms warning? if one of my tires goes lower than 51psi i get a warning i have to air up to 65 and back down to 52 or higher?

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
How do yall get your tire pressures that low without tpms warning? if one of my tires goes lower than 51psi i get a warning i have to air up to 65 and back down to 52 or higher?

I have an AEV Procal which I use to re-set the tire dia and tps thresholds, however, I still get the orange warning light on the dash, which I ignore...

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I’ll echo what everyone else is saying about tire pressure. My truck road like a buckboard on the stock tires until I lowered the PSI significantly. Now I’m on E rated 35 inch tires and my everyday on road pressures are 44 front and 40 rear cold and it rides TONS better. Soaks up bumps.

As far as The TPMS light I just ignore it. I’ll eventually do the AEV procal or AlfaOBD but it’s not really a concern. I just glance at my pressures and make sure they are good on startup before I dismiss the warning screen.

dogman1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run my 37" Toyos at 50 psi on the street. The ride is just fine for me.

I have a Procal and had the dealer do the code so speedo is dead on and no light.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do yall get your tire pressures that low without tpms warning?

ive been driving around for over 4 years with the warning on...is there something wrong with doing that lol?

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to echo all the other echo’s, tire pressure’s are rated for ply, for mileage, wear characteristics, towing capacity, etc... what they don’t take into consideration are the ride and handling characteristics of the individual vehicle’s that are modded and driven under different extremes etc.... The tires are made to meet government mandates for safety bead seat and sidewall strength as stated. With all that being said They post the tire maximum pressure’s for safety, wear, fuel consumption and tire patch contact. Wheel sizes and rim widths all come into play. The auto manufacturer then chooses what tire is going to go on what vehicle and the engineers set your Tpms. You can run lower pressure’s safely by doing a contact patch to see how much of the tread is hitting, how the ride and handling are and any loss of fuel mileage because it can reduce that also. Too high a pressure will have less contact patch, create a harsher ride and even wear on suspension components as tires are considered part of the vehicle handling dynamic. Use your head and don’t go to low or too high I’ve been through all types of tires on all my builds and I have never run over 45-48 lbs on any of my 4x4’s. In comparison Let’s look at my 12 Power Wagon, it comes stock with a 33x12.50x17 The dealer had over 65lbs in all of them and the truck rode like a steamroller. I Put 37x12.50x17 at about 38-42lbs both are E-rated 8 ply tires. Now if I had put a D-rated 10 ply 37, Or if say I was driving a 3500 those pressure’s would vary also. I would probably start at about 36lbs due to the stiffer ply. I don’t look at the Tpms warning light except to see that I’m maintaining my desired tire pressure’s.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to echo all the other echo’s, tire pressure’s are rated for ply, for mileage, wear characteristics, towing capacity, etc... what they don’t take into consideration are the ride and handling characteristics of the individual vehicle’s that are modded and driven under different extremes etc...

Wait...so you are telling me there are variables when considering tire pressure? I don’t just fill em up until they look round enough?

I say that in jest but I guess thats why we have TPMS idiot lights and all the other nanny devices.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait...so you are telling me there are variables when considering tire pressure? I don’t just fill em up until they look round enough?

I say that in jest but I guess thats why we have TPMS idiot lights and all the other nanny devices.
Lol, yeah I copied that, It amazes sometimes when thing’s so simple create such confusion and BTW I like your rig.

OP
OP
jabartram

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Changed tpms thresholds today, i originally dropped them down to 25psi, but the tpms light kept flashing, so i set front rear to 32psi, no more flashing tpms light. Im going to air the tires down to 36psi tomorrow and see if i get any lights. on my 2020 it did not ask for a pin.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changed tpms thresholds today, i originally dropped them down to 25psi, but the tpms light kept flashing, so i set front rear to 32psi, no more flashing tpms light. Im going to air the tires down to 36psi tomorrow and see if i get any lights. on my 2020 it did not ask for a pin.
I would definitely advise against that as you could roll the bead seat. Did you do 25lbs for road use or aired down for wheeling.? I would consider that too low about 10-15 lbs. for street use as you may get undo heat build up from tread walk and cause damage to the tire. What size are you running and in what circumstance’s? Make sure you take readings in the morning after sitting overnight so the tires are cold.

OP
OP
jabartram

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I set the tire pressures at 43 psi, tires are factory wrangler duratracs. i wont air down any lower on the street.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I set the tire pressures at 43 psi, tires are factory wrangler duratracs. i wont air down any lower on the street.
And did you see an improvement in your ride quality? And make sure you rotate them regularly as you may se some cupping up front as the PW’s straight axle loves to them wander a bit more. I always cross front to rear and pull the back forward and due you include your spare in the rotation. If you don’t I’d recommend putting it on the front driver’s and working it in to rotation when wear get’s low and you if you ever need it’ll be ready as that extra tread may and can cause issues in 4wd.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 10% rule works well for determining if there is too much heat build up. check your tire psi stone cold and then drive it for 10 miles or so at highway speed. if the psi goes up 10% or less you are fine. ie if cold you are 50psi and fully warmed up it goes to 55 psi you are not over heating the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn