Thuren 1.5" springs and Fox shock install on my 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My original post was asking about replacement shock recommendations for my leaking factory Bilstein on the passenger side front. Decided to go ahead with Thuren 1.5" coils and the Fox 2.0. Really wanted the shocks but they said it required their coil springs, plus they had both in stock at the moment.

Placed the order last Thursday morning and they arrived the following Wednesday afternoon, so about a week delivery time. I thought it was reasonable considering they are 2,000 miles away and I opted for the free shipping option.

Initial observations of the parts. I was somewhat surprised after removing the factory front coils and placing them next to the Thuren coils on the garage floor as they were basically the exact same length. The Fox shocks are longer (didn't measure but maybe 1.5") than the factory shocks so I understand why they say the factory coils could pop out under full drop, so thought for sure the new coils would be longer. Will actually send Thuren an e-mail just to double-check the coils part number (they are 3 hours behind so probably still in bed)...didn't test drive the rig yet but initially they did provide lift.

On to the install. Total time was just over 3 hours by myself (actually my younger son "helped" me a little at the beginning). If you include cleaning up the garage and putting away my tools it will be another 15-20 minutes........ Anyway, I used two floor jacks under the front axle to lift the truck and put jackstands under the frame just behind the radius arm mounts. I knew to jack it up high and had the front tires probably 8" off the ground thinking it would give me plenty of room to droop the axle out after removing the tires. Turns out it was just barely enough as both jacks were almost completely lowered by the end.

Removed the factory shocks first. No real issue with the lower bolts. The uppers were somewhat rusty on my '16 and were just spinning the shaft with the impact. Had to clamp two pairs of vice grips on the shock shaft to hold it enough to get the nut off (not concerned about junk shocks but wouldn't do that on a new set!). Getting to the top bolts isn't bad with a couple extensions and wobble socket.

Removed the brake line and ABS wiring brackets on both sides (two bolts/brackets each side). Unhooked the 4wd actuator plug. Pulled the bolt from the trackbar to frame mount. This was tight and took a breaker bar with a pipe extension to get started. I had activated the swaybar disconnect in the cab and verified the light for this was on steady, but the axle would not lower enough for the springs to pop out. I disconnected the driver side swaybar link (side that hooks to the actual swaybar). This was actually one of the longer steps in the disassembly because you have to hold the top of the bolt with a small wrench and then unscrew the nut with a wrench. There are a lot of threads, it was rusty, and you can only turn the wrench a small amount at a time. After the driver side was unhooked the axle would drop far enough. You have to work the jacks on both sides down a little at a time until the springs are loose. Again, I had the jacks almost completely lowered to get the springs loose enough to remove, but still had to tug on them a little to get them out.

Reinstall time. The Thuren springs seemed to go back in easier than the factory springs came out. Lining them up is common sense as you can clearly see where the end of the spring sits in the upper isolater and where the nub goes in the upper brackets. Raised the axle up enough to put pressure on the springs and hold them in and started reconnecting everything else.

Trackbar bolt requires a little musle but not too had. If you had a helper they could probably push/pry the axle into position. I used a ratchet strap to pull the axle over and align the hole, and then a little prying with a big screwdriver for final alignment. Swaybar mount was just tightening the bolt back up, still took a few minutes but much easier with the threads cleaned up.

Shocks were next. Held them up and loosely installed the top hardware. Not bad but not much room to get your hand between the frame and plastic fender line to get the bushing, washer, and nut installed. A helper to hold the shock while the other started the hardware would be much easier. The lower shock mounts were a struggle. You could get the bolt started through the outer part of the bracket and shock eye but it would not line up with the hole on the back side of the bracket. It appears the shock sits at a slight angle between the upper and lower mount, but the lower mount is more designed to be straight. No problems with the factory shocks but probably because the shock eye bushings are compliant rubber versus the stiff Fox bushings. Had to fight both sides raising and lowering the truck, prying on the shock eyes, etc...before they went in.

Sit the truck back on the ground, bounced the front suspension by hand a few times (I know it's not settled) and check the measurements. The front and back fender lips showed almost identical measurements now so should be right at 1.5" of lift. Didn't do a test drive because it was getting late, it was dark, and I didn't want to get in the truck in my dirty work clothes.

I will provide another update after going for a drive this evening.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sit the truck back on the ground, bounced the front suspension by hand a few times (I know it's not settled) and check the measurements. The front and back fender lips showed almost identical measurements now so should be right at 1.5" of lift. Didn't do a test drive because it was getting late, it was dark, and I didn't want to get in the truck in my dirty work clothes.

So your truck is level now? I think my rear is 1.5" higher than my front when I measured so seems like these springs would make it level. If I still want a little rake I should go with their 0.5" lift springs since their rear springs provide "little to no lift". Looking forward to your driving impression.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So your truck is level now? I think my rear is 1.5" higher than my front when I measured so seems like these springs would make it level. If I still want a little rake I should go with their 0.5" lift springs since their rear springs provide "little to no lift". Looking forward to your driving impression.
Didn't get a good look at it from the side because it was in the shop and you can't get far enough away. Tape measure showed about the same floor to wheel lip measurements between the front and back but will double-check after going for a quick drive. I like a little rake also so may go with a 1" spacer in the rear after I get a chance to look at it.

Thuren did answer my e-mail and said that is correct for the coils. They have been very responsive via e-mail. However I don't fully understand why they say you can only use their shocks with their coils. The explanation was that the shocks are longer and allow more droop, and the more droop could allow the factory coil springs to pop out of the buckets........but not sure how that could happen if both springs are the same length when not compressed?

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Supposedly their fox shocks are valved differently for a power wagon setup I guess......I just tossed a set of factory fox 2.0s in mine and I don't hate the ride. I might do their lift springs next spring.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Actual measurement should be from Center of wheel to Fender well.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actual measurement should be from Center of wheel to Fender well.
Well, yes if you are comparing the lift height between different trucks with different tires. Different brands of tires, and different PSI settings, will cause the ground the fender lip measurements to be different. However if you are simply doing a before and after measurement of the same truck with the same tires it will tell how much that truck was lifted.

Anyway, an update on the truck. Took a quick drove last night and had a light clunk. Of course got home and found the upper shock mounts loose. I had tightened them with an 1/4" impact but didn't check them by hand.....should have known better as the battery condition of the impact and tightening anything up on a rubber/poly bushing can really affect the torque. Drove to work this morning. Maybe feels slightly firmer than stock but nothing major. Haven't had a chance to drive a really rough road.

Front lift is right at 1.5" over factory and looks pretty level. I do have a heavier bed cap that squats the rear suspension slightly. About 95% sure I'm going to install 1" rear spacers.

The 35's do look small now and wish I had 37's, however I just bought new 35's this spring and they only have 4,000-5,000 miles on them........

To be honest, knowing what I do now regarding the stock and Thuren 1.5" lift springs being the same height unloaded I would have just replaced the shocks and left the stock springs, and instead would have used the money I spent on the springs to buy the rear Fox shocks. Not that I'm disappointed with the slight lift but I really wanted the upgraded longer travel shocks but everybody told me they would only work with the Thuren coils. Sure, the valving is supposedly matched to the springs (though the website said the spring rate is only 6% different on PW's) but the main reason was they said the longer travel shocks let the suspension droop more and could allow the factory coils to become unseated and pop out....but the fact the unloaded height of the two springs is the same means there is no difference between them in this regards. In fact, it appears the .5" Thuren springs are actually shorter than factory. I understand on a standard non-PW Ram these shocks could cause the factory springs to pop out under droop because they are stated as being 26%-30% lower rate and offer 3" of lift (I'm about 99% sure they use the exact same springs and shocks on PW's versus a regular 2500 Hemi....PW's are 1.5" taller from the factory so the 2" lift springs on a regular 2500 are now only .5" on a PW, and the 3" springs are now 1.5" on the PW).

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In the late spring I Installed the Thuren 1/2" over stock front coils, track bar and Fox 2.0 shock. I noticed a ride improvement over the stock PW spings and shock which were nearing 60,000 miles. As you drive your truck more miles over different terrain you will begin to appreciate how much better Thuren's springs are. Companies like Thuren and Carli actually offer "suspension systems" vs. "lift kit". They will improve the vehicles suspension capability.

Also, You can't determine ride height increase when looking at the springs side by side out of the truck. Thuren Springs are designed to move through there travel range differently than the stock spring. Read up on the difference between linear and progressive rate spring technology.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the late spring I Installed the Thuren 1/2" over stock front coils, track bar and Fox 2.0 shock. I noticed a ride improvement over the stock PW spings and shock which were nearing 60,000 miles. As you drive your truck more miles over different terrain you will begin to appreciate how much better Thuren's springs are. Companies like Thuren and Carli actually offer "suspension systems" vs. "lift kit". They will improve the vehicles suspension capability.

Also, You can't determine ride height increase when looking at the springs side by side out of the truck. Thuren Springs are designed to move through there travel range differently than the stock spring. Read up on the difference between linear and progressive rate spring technology.
I completely understand how springs work and that the number of coils, spacing between coils, and wire diameter all affect spring rate and sag. Maybe my above posts were not clear but I never questioned the lift height over the stock coils based on the unloaded spring heights (though I was a little surprised). The topic of conversation has to do with the suspension at full droop and whether the coils could become unseated and pop out. Since the springs are not restrained in any way under droop and just held in by the weight of the vehicle the only variable is the unloaded length of the coils in the full droop situation. The fact that both the stock and Thuren coils have the same unloaded height means that they would both become unseated at the same point under suspension droop. This in turn means there is no reason why their extended length shocks should cause any concerns with the stock PW coils...again emphasizing the PW coils and not a standard 2500 coil. I haven't compared the PW to standard 2500 coils but would guess the PW coils are probably a good bit longer unloaded (static) length based on them being a lower spring rate (more sag under weight) but still providing 1.5" lift.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I completely understand how springs work and that the number of coils, spacing between coils, and wire diameter all affect spring rate and sag. Maybe my above posts were not clear but I never questioned the lift height over the stock coils based on the unloaded spring heights (though I was a little surprised). The topic of conversation has to do with the suspension at full droop and whether the coils could become unseated and pop out. Since the springs are not restrained in any way under droop and just held in by the weight of the vehicle the only variable is the unloaded length of the coils in the full droop situation. The fact that both the stock and Thuren coils have the same unloaded height means that they would both become unseated at the same point under suspension droop. This in turn means there is no reason why their extended length shocks should cause any concerns with the stock PW coils...again emphasizing the PW coils and not a standard 2500 coil. I haven't compared the PW to standard 2500 coils but would guess the PW coils are probably a good bit longer unloaded (static) length based on them being a lower spring rate (more sag under weight) but still providing 1.5" lift.

Gotcha!

Last edited:
OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you need to do an alignment after that front end work?
I'm sure it changes the alignment a little and you "should" have one done. With that said the only thing I noticed was the steering wheel being just slightly off center.

I did order a set of 1" rear spacers that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. There is a huge price difference between brands on these especially since they all look identical.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed 1" rear spacers yesterday evening. Bought a set from Supreme Suspensions for around $80 and these are the type that fit at the top of the spring. Some other brands like Readylift are almost 3 times as much for what appears to be the exact same thing in the pictures.......really not much to these. The Supreme versions fit the isolator and the upper spring perch/mount just fine and the coating looks good on them.

Complete install took somewhere around 1-1.5 hours. Lost track of time because halfway through I had go inside for a few errands and then come back out and finish it. Jacked the rear of the truck up by the rear axle as far as I could and placed jackstands under the frame just in front of the control arms. Removed tires, unbolted the upper swaybar links and lower shock mounts. You do need to jack the rear axle either up or down to the right position to take the load off of the shocks so the bolts will come out.

After that I lowered the rear axle as much as possible (no brake lines or wiring was tight) and was able to wiggle out the rear coils with minimal issue. Placed the spacer, upper and lower isolator on the springs and went to reinstall. It's a little awkward holding everything together and getting it lined up, and this was the longest single task doing the install. Did the driver's side first and there is more room (exhaust and trackbar frame mount are on the passenger side). With the axle all the way down it was tight but with a little work with a prybar I got everything popped into place. Went to the passenger side and fought with it for 10 minutes......axle just wasn't drooped down as much on that side and less room because of the exhaust and trackbar bracket. Finally took my second floor jack and raised up the driver's side rear axle right under the hub. This tilted the axle and lowered the passenger side down some. I then found that kinda' of sitting on the passenger side hub/rotor pushed it down a little more to the point where the spring setup easily fit. It's one of those things that doing it a second time would take a 1/4 of time.

With the Thuren 1.5" front springs and stock rear coils, and with an ARE bed cap (with the contractor boxes and other options so heavier) the front was about 1/4" higher. With the 1" rear spacers the rear measures right at 3/4" higher than the front.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
do you need to do an alignment after that front end work?
Yes you need to align the front end after changing the springs which alter ride height. Also, if you go with Thuren like the OP the instructions come with alignment spec's that Don Thuren feels are the best to set your truck at when using his components. When I did my install I had an alignment done to the supplied specs and I can say without question my truck drove the best it ever has after that alignment.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a picture of the finished product. 1.5" Thuren front coils with Fox 2.0 shocks and a 1" rear spacer. Not a very good picture as it was getting dark but the best I have for right now. Tires are 35x12.50 Falken MT's on the stock rims. Hopefully get to do some mild off-roading this weekend......farmers are getting the crops out of the field so can at least get some dirt under the tires.

lifted pics.jpg