Thuren/Carli 3” kit 6.4 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Thuren Overland and Carli Commuter are both supposedly 3” kits. So are the extra components that come with the Carli Commuter kit really necessary? I don’t really want to spend $1,000 extra for unnecessary stuff.51F580A3-F842-4FE2-9BB4-7385F0EC9433.jpeg D21DD4E2-648A-4EB4-8885-9E0C5B9104E1.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out cjcoffroad.com for videos or check their YouTube channel. They break down lift kits, suspension, and answer common questions as well as pros and cons. They talk a lot about the carli kits. Its a wealth of knowledge. They also go over which kit is best for which practical use.

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Ezlynk tuner by Duramaxtuner.com

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out cjcoffroad.com for videos or check their YouTube channel. They break down lift kits, suspension, and answer common questions as well as pros and cons. They talk a lot about the carli kits. Its a wealth of knowledge. They also go over which kit is best for which practical use.

I emailed CJC today with this same question but they weren’t very clear with their response

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try calling them. I got better answer when I called. Its hard to explain things over email sometimes.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I can`t speak to the Carli system as I went with the 3in Thuren system w/King 2.5 shocks..
Based on my research, the Carli system is slightly on the stiffer side and the Thuren on the softer side, although I can`t speak 1st hand on the Carli set-up!
For this reason, I went with the Thuren set-up as this best suited the mountain trails (slower speeds) in my area.
Btw, this system works great, very happy and no issues...
I may have gone Carli if I was frequenting higher speed and or desert terrain.

Something to consider, with the lower price difference of the Thuren I was able to afford/up-grade to the King shocks for around the same total price as the Carli system!

Remember, many shops suggest/push mfgs/products that they are aligned with...bottom line, do your homework and get the system best suited to your needs....

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thuren’s Overland shocks are a basic twin tube valved for his springs. Should be better than OEM. You can also get Fox 2.0 shocks tuned to Thuren’s specs.

Biggest difference I see is Carli has radius arm drops and bump stop extensions but Thuren does not. Carli of course comes standard with the Fox 2.0’s.

I have Thuren’s 2” coils and Fox shocks on the front my 2019 2500 Hemi. My truck is a crew cab long bed and I got exactly 2” lift in the front. The truck sits dead level and I’ll probably go with Thuren’s 1” rear springs in the near future.

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thuren’s Overland shocks are a basic twin tube valved for his springs. Should be better than OEM. You can also get Fox 2.0 shocks tuned to Thuren’s specs.

Biggest difference I see is Carli has radius arm drops and bump stop extensions but Thuren does not. Carli of course comes standard with the Fox 2.0’s.

I have Thuren’s 2” coils and Fox shocks on the front my 2019 2500 Hemi. My truck is a crew cab long bed and I got exactly 2” lift in the front. The truck sits dead level and I’ll probably go with Thuren’s 1” rear springs in the near future.

The radius arm drops and bump stops and rear track bar drops are the only thing extra with the Carli that doesn’t come with the Thuren. So if both kits lift the truck 3” via the same method, then why would you need those 3 extra things that come with the Carli kit? Seems like it’s just a waste of money. The employee from CJCoffroad that I was emailing about this question said those 3 extra parts are necessary because the Carli kit lifts the truck higher than the Thuren kit so they’re needed to correct “suspension geometry”. But if both kits lift the truck the same height then I don’t see why the Carli kit needs those parts but the Thuren kit doesn’t.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can only say that I have equipped my 12 PW with Thuren part’s. Not that Carli isn’t a great product but Thuren owns a Power Wagon as do some of his employee’s I believe.
When I was looking to upgrade to their adjustable track bar I called and talk to them and they were knowledgeable and in no way vague in answering my question’s. And you can lift the vehicle 3” without the “extra parts” that CJC said we’re needed but, those part’s are there to work in unison as a whole. You can't go wrong with either kit it’s all about what you want and are willing to spend.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have no idea why Carli thinks they are needed. I trust Thuren and have no doubts it’s fine. 3” was just too much for me.

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only say that I have equipped my 12 PW with Thuren part’s. Not that Carli isn’t a great product but Thuren owns a Power Wagon as do some of his employee’s I believe.
When I was looking to upgrade to their adjustable track bar I called and talk to them and they were knowledgeable and in no way vague in answering my question’s. And you can lift the vehicle 3” without the “extra parts” that CJC said we’re needed but, those part’s are there to work in unison as a whole. You can't go wrong with either kit it’s all about what you want and are willing to spend.

I was thinking of building a Carli kit from the components section that has all of the same parts as the Thuren kit. This would put the price around $2,200 I believe. Which is about the same price as the Thuren kit with upgraded Fox shocks

F421EC51-981F-4D00-902D-9DFC3C34FE5C.png

Last edited:

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One thing I would add about a full 3”/1” kit is you will probably be dead level. Looks great but if you tow or haul you’re going to want to think about bags.

Im curious about Carli’s multi-rate rear coils and how they handle a load.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I think the Carli site showed a pic of a Ram 2500 with their system and around 500lbs in the bed, said the sag was equivalent to a half ton!
I believe Thuren claims about the same....I think both recommend air bags if hauling/towing heavy!

I think Thuren recommends Daystar cradles, I can`t remember which bags...need to find out as this is a future addition I`ll be making.

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I would add about a full 3”/1” kit is you will probably be dead level. Looks great but if you tow or haul you’re going to want to think about bags.

Im curious about Carli’s multi-rate rear coils and how they handle a load.

I don’t do a lot of towing or hauling. I tow a 16ft covered trailer loaded with tools and job material occasionally.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I think the Carli site showed a pic of a Ram 2500 with their system and around 500lbs in the bed, said the sag was equivalent to a half ton!
I believe Thuren claims about the same....I think both recommend air bags if hauling/towing heavy!

I think Thuren recommends Daystar cradles, I can`t remember which bags...need to find out as this is a future addition I`ll be making.

For reference, I tow a 25ft pontoon boat/trailer aprox 3700lbs and my Thuren set-up sags pretty good, so it doesn`t take much!
Haven`t loaded my 860+lb Harley yet, will probably be on the bump stops...lol

I see air bags in my future...

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slow down and remember these 2500/3500 Heavy Duties all have different spring design and rates depending upon the vehicle. Engine’s, cab size, bed size, installed option’s all come into play. A Diesel engine is much heavier than a gas engine and therefore the spring rate will be different etc....With that in mind a 3”F/1”R lift may work on your truck without making it dead level. You have to take some measurements first. Remeber if you lift either end of a vehicle the opposite end will drop in response, not to same degree of course but it’s physics. Use a jack to to to raise the front of your truck to the desired height and take a look at your stance. Then you can even use a second jack in the rear and try all your option’s as you can try to get it as close as you can to your desired ride height. I wouldn’t go dead level because you want a little difference between the front and rear about 1/2 or so to negate that nose up/rear squat look. Also take measurement’s at about 1/2 - 3/4 tank because a gallon of gas weighs 6lbs. So if you have a 32 gallon tank and take a measurement at 1/4 you’re gonna be about 144lbs lighter on the driver’s side. I went through this with my Power Wagon and am currently looking to raise the rear 1/2” by installing Thuren’s adjustable rear shackle lift as I have a Century topper and it’s sit’s dead level without being geared out when we Overland which under full tank and a few hundred lbs more it looks like it squats.

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slow down and remember these 2500/3500 Heavy Duties all have different spring design and rates depending upon the vehicle. Engine’s, cab size, bed size, installed option’s all come into play. A Diesel engine is much heavier than a gas engine and therefore the spring rate will be different etc....With that in mind a 3”F/1”R lift may work on your truck without making it dead level. You have to take some measurements first. Remeber if you lift either end of a vehicle the opposite end will drop in response, not to same degree of course but it’s physics. Use a jack to to to raise the front of your truck to the desired height and take a look at your stance. Then you can even use a second jack in the rear and try all your option’s as you can try to get it as close as you can to your desired ride height. I wouldn’t go dead level because you want a little difference between the front and rear about 1/2 or so to negate that nose up/rear squat look. Also take measurement’s at about 1/2 - 3/4 tank because a gallon of gas weighs 6lbs. So if you have a 32 gallon tank and take a measurement at 1/4 you’re gonna be about 144lbs lighter on the driver’s side. I went through this with my Power Wagon and am currently looking to raise the rear 1/2” by installing Thuren’s adjustable rear shackle lift as I have a Century topper and it’s sit’s dead level without being geared out when we Overland which under full tank and a few hundred lbs more it looks like it squats.

I currently have a 2.5” leveling spacer on the front and I like how it sits level-wise, the ride quality is absolute garbage though. I have the 6.4 Hemi and I’ve heard from people that have done the 3”/1” kit on theirs that it makes the truck sit about perfectly level but slightly higher in the rear. I don’t know how tru that is though

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just for my own thought’s your truck is an 05 2500? Depending on what your looking to spend or can spend ICON makes a great stage II kit with spring’s shock’s and an adjustable front track bar for around 2K. Even if you retain the front spacer’s at 2 1/2” I would do an Thuren front track bar to get that axle centered back under your truck. And have you looked at a softer shock set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just for my own thought’s your truck is an 05 2500? Depending on what your looking to spend or can spend ICON makes a great stage II kit with spring’s shock’s and an adjustable front track bar for around 2K. Even if you retain the front spacer’s at 2 1/2” I would do an Thuren front track bar to get that axle centered back under your truck. And have you looked at a softer shock set up.

My truck is a 2018

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The above pic is my 16 with 2" front and 1" rear Thuren coils. 42.75 frt. and 44.0 rr.