Tick after oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMS393

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
I’m new to forums but looking for some input. Recently bought a 2015 1500 the truck has 57k on it. I had it around a month and it was time for an oil change. I had the oil changed with pennzoil full synthetic 5W-20. The next day I started the truck when it was cold and it is making a ticking sound and it is pretty loud but goes away once the truck it warm. It’s been about a week and it seems that it’s not as loud as it was. I’ve heard about the exhaust manifolds but this is a different sound. It doesn’t sound like the lifter tick either. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which Pennzoil did you get Platinum Plus or Ultra Platinum Plus? Pennzoil made my truck tick, I would guess that maybe that is why yours is ticking. But it is pretty hard to diagnose over the internet.

These trucks ticking is old news. Chances are it is either a broken exhaust manifold bolt or the notorious hemi tick.

A couple things you could do are take a video and upload it to youtube so we could try to help you diagnose it. Or what I would do is step up to a 5w-30 with a really good oil filter like the Royal Purple 20-820 and switch to either PUP (if you dont have PUP now) or switch to Redline. Redline is a really touchy subject here too by the way. Tons of us swear by it and tons of us are tired of hearing about it haha. It worked for my Hemi tick so I continue to run it.

There is a chance you are hearing the injectors pulsing too but that is pretty quiet.

Welcome to the forum too!

OP
OP
BMS393

BMS393

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
The local dealer actually done the oil change. So I’m guessing it’s Platinum plus? It doesn’t do it right on start up like an exhaust manifold bolt broke. It’s a strange ticking sound. I will try to get a video up posted. I know I’ve heard the discussion of 5W-30 and MDS. What’s your thoughts on that?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been running RL 5w-30 since my second oil change and about 4 years now. No issues to report there. Of course this is just my experience though, please don't take it as fact, it just worked for me. There is a huge thread on oil here with a lot of good information.

Better grab a beer and start doing a ton of reading haha. Maybe grab the beer after an hour of reading though.

isvend

Reaction score
I'm following this subject with interest. Curious to hear what you ultimately find and if 5w-30 gets rid of your tick. Just bought my first Ram, 2016 1500 with 58k on it and getting close to my first oil change as well. It's a quiet engine right now but I've been nervous about the tick since joining these forums.
A lot of folks make a strong case on here for Redline. I don't know that I can sustain that budget for oil changes over the life of the truck so I'm thinking 5w-20 Pup with Lubegard. But starting to wonder if I should go up to 5w-30 even though I don't hear a tick right now.
Anyway, good luck.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has been silent since switching to Redline. And in reality the cost is not much more than an oil change with any other good synthetic. I get my oil from [email protected] (a forum vendor) for under $100 per oil change. (wont say exactly what it costs so he doesn't get in trouble. He hooks it up though!) Then another $15 or so for the filter.

This is just my use example but with a used oil analysis I am running my oil up to over 8000 miles and Blackstone says I can run longer. So an oil change is only a once a year expense. Fine by me! My dad taught me to change my oil every 4000 miles. So not doing it that often is paying for itself. I have finally convinced him to run his new 5th gen ram to 8000 miles too. Took a lot of arm twisting for that HAHA

I hate running it that long. But, the lab says I can run longer.

Food for thought.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just my view. But I would think you should try figure out what the 'ticking' is first.
Before try adding or changing oil. Could be totally unrelated to oil change.
Hard for anyone 'guess' over net. I would bring it back to dealer or someone you trust.
Hard part as you mentioned, you hear when it's cold and it goes way.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use Amsoil Signature Series in my 2014 RT with Lubegaurd and usually only change the oil once a year due to miles. I do not have any ticking at startup.

OP
OP
BMS393

BMS393

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
@CanRebel I agree but it started right after I had the oil changed and it being the only vehicle I have to drive I have put right at 500 miles on it and it is sufficiently quieter than it was when I first changed the oil.

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm following this subject with interest. Curious to hear what you ultimately find and if 5w-30 gets rid of your tick. Just bought my first Ram, 2016 1500 with 58k on it and getting close to my first oil change as well. It's a quiet engine right now but I've been nervous about the tick since joining these forums.
A lot of folks make a strong case on here for Redline. I don't know that I can sustain that budget for oil changes over the life of the truck so I'm thinking 5w-20 Pup with Lubegard. But starting to wonder if I should go up to 5w-30 even though I don't hear a tick right now.
Anyway, good luck.
Check out all the quality info supplied by Burla in the synthetic oil posts.
I purchased a used RAM several years ago and immediately went with QSUD which is now just called QS Synthetic, and went with the larger Royal Purple filter 20-820. Never had any tick issues in the 20,000 miles I have put on it.

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Plus 5W-30 seems to keep it pretty quiet still a slight tick sometimes. I have new AFE shorty headers so not coming from exhaust one of these oil changes i'll try redline to see how good it works.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It all comes down to what your truck likes. Some like Redline, some like Mobil 1, some like Pennzoil, others like mine like Castrol edge. I would suggest doing the oil changes your self or at least buy your own oil and filter and have it done that way. Definitely check out the oil thread. Its got a lot of good info in there.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Switching to Mid-level octain gas every other fill up stopped my tick. I use Super-Tec Full Syn 5w20 from Walmart and a AC/Delco PF48E filter. I got a deal on some MOPAR filters so I will use them the next couple changes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It all comes down to what your truck likes. Some like Redline, some like Mobil 1, some like Pennzoil, others like mine like Castrol edge. I would suggest doing the oil changes your self or at least buy your own oil and filter and have it done that way. Definitely check out the oil thread. Its got a lot of good info in there.
so true, who would have ever thought a truck can tell you what oil to use, lol. And yet here we are, why use an oil that makes your truck knock or sound raspy when a different oil keeps it better smooth? It pays to try different oils in a hemi if it is sounding horrible, and if it is not sounding horrible, stick with what works even if it is 7 11 oil.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
My opinion would be to check the oil level to see if your half a quart light and question the integrity of the employee at the shop where you had your service performed.
Even the most highly praised shop with documented accolades, and endorsements are not immune to pinching pennies and feeding your vehicle whatever can the oil pump dispenser hose is plugged into.
My other recommendation is fuel treatment for carbon buildup
or checking your cooling system for slow leaks by having a cooling system pressure test preformed.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I noticed it on my 2019 when I first bought it. I started using Supertech 5w20 with either Mopar or AC/Delco PF48E filters. Also filling with middle grade gasoline. Now there is no tick. But, my hearing is getting pretty bad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963