Ticking after oil change and squeeking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DefiantRage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello,
I am currently trying to diagnose a recent ticking that started after doing my oil change last week. I swapped my '03 1500 5.7 4x4 over to full synthetic (5w30 because of the colder climate). I was having issues with oil pressure during the recent cold snap (-40c if not colder). It would take about 30 seconds after starting the engine before oil pressure would rise. I started to get a tick that sounds like it could be a lifter after doing my oil change because the sludge was probably plugging up my screens, so that's why I went with a thinner synthetic oil and a chemical fluch before doing the change. Aside from having to rip apart the top end of my engine in the cold, is there any other remedies I might be able to persue to fix this ticking issue?

Second, I started to get a squeeking sounds while the truck is in motion and sometimes at an idle at stops signs and red lights. I notice that the noise doesn't fluctuate with the rpm's. I can be moving and hearing the Squeek, drop into neutral and rev the engine, but the Squeek doesn't change. I also notice while stopped at a red light, the voltage drops just under halfway on the gauge, but has always stayed at near 60% or above the half mark on the gauge up until recently.
I know the belt should be replaced due to cracking, I also have a spare alternator if that needs replacing, but I thought the noise would fluctuate with my rpm's if it was a belt or alternator issue. All my pulleys have no play, and the belt looks to be properly aligned with no wear on the sides of the belt, but does have cracks.

I have come to the conclusion that it could be a bad hub bearing causing the Squeek, but most symptoms include a grinding sound, vibrations in the steering wheel and tugging to one side while driving straight, but I haven't noticed any of that yet.

I have been hunting these forums for the last few days trying to diagnose my issue and haven't come up with a solid answer yet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I hope I have provided enough details.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, it is greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is any more details you might need from me and I will gladly share what I can.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would try some Seafoam prior to pulling the top end apart for the ticking. I bought my daughter a 2nd hand malibu years ago out of New Orleans that was 20 years old with 30k on it (little old lady owned and never drove) Clicking and ticking like a time bomb. I added a can of Seafoam to the crank case and in a minute or so it was humming like a sewing machine. I put about 500 miles on it and changed the oil with fresh synthetic and that little car ran forever without a peep.
No help on the squeak...if it was accessorily/belt related, it would change with RPM's...Suspension?

OP
OP
D

DefiantRage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will definitely be using some seafoam in the crankcase today and hopefully that will help my lifter tick.
But now I am doubting it could be the hub assembly because it still squeeks when idling at a red light or stop sign and there is no movement in the bearing. I am so confused!! Could this be an even bigger problem like rod bearings? Even though it doesn't fluctuate with rpms? Doesn't a rod bearings usually sound like a tick or knock because of the extra play in the bearing?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was a rod bearing it would also fluctuate with RPM and will sound more like a hollow knock than a high tick. Try some belt dressing on the belt or even a few squirts of WD on the belt while it's running and see if the squeak changes or goes away. Then you will know it's the belt. You can buy a mechanics stethoscope like this to try and track down things. https://www.harborfreight.com/mecha...rm&cid=email_shipping_confirm&lid=742,284,365