Ticking/Chattering Noise in Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan18327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic SLT (5.7 hemi) with around 47K miles on it that I just bought 4 months ago. I started hearing a ticking noise when accelerating a couple of weeks ago that started quiet and got more noticeable after a few days. I started reading about the 5.7 hemi and found out about the lifter issue (hemi tick) and decided to try what a lot of people suggest and used a high moly content oil. Drained the oil from the dealer and filled it with Royal Purple to give it a shot. While 200 miles or so on the new oil and the ticking seems to have gone but now I hear a different noise...

When I accelerate good and rev up between 3,000 and 4,000 rpms there's a different noise now that is more like a chirping or clicking rather than ticking. It is NOT rhythmic, its more intermittent and random. However, if I am revving around 3-4000 rpms and then shift into neutral and rev the engine up in neutral the noise isn't there. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Not sure if it's related to the tick or not. Any insight is appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should never hear ticking while accelerating, that just aint a good sign. If you can youtube it we can listen?

Ltonzola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic SLT (5.7 hemi) with around 47K miles on it that I just bought 4 months ago. I started hearing a ticking noise when accelerating a couple of weeks ago that started quiet and got more noticeable after a few days. I started reading about the 5.7 hemi and found out about the lifter issue (hemi tick) and decided to try what a lot of people suggest and used a high moly content oil. Drained the oil from the dealer and filled it with Royal Purple to give it a shot. While 200 miles or so on the new oil and the ticking seems to have gone but now I hear a different noise...

When I accelerate good and rev up between 3,000 and 4,000 rpms there's a different noise now that is more like a chirping or clicking rather than ticking. It is NOT rhythmic, its more intermittent and random. However, if I am revving around 3-4000 rpms and then shift into neutral and rev the engine up in neutral the noise isn't there. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Not sure if it's related to the tick or not. Any insight is appreciated.
Did you ever figure out what was going on or did the noise stop?

Rambo16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the idler pulley. Take off the serpentine belt. The noise will stop. Change out the idler pulley. The dealer wanted to change out the passengers side head. Told me not to drive my Ram 1500.