ticking. Fan Cluch? Pulley? Belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed this ticking noise has anyone noticed this same noise on theirs??? Ticks with climate controls on or off.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Noticed this ticking noise has anyone noticed this same noise on theirs??? Ticks with climate controls on or off.
That sound appears to be coming from the serpentine belt. It could be the bearing in one of the pulleys but that sounds like the belt to me.

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad belt? Don't wanna be throwing parts at it how can in 100 percent sure

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The idler pulley on these trucks tend to get loose with some miles. Maybe that is what you are hearing. I installed an new idler on my truck when I did the strictlydiesel fan clutch conversion while I was into it, but mine was actually still in decent shape. I can't hear the ticking in the video but I don't hear so well anymore.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bad belt? Don't wanna be throwing parts at it how can in 100 percent sure
Get a bar of soap and rub it on both sides of the belt in as many places as you can. If you're careful enough you can do it like me and coat the belt while it is running. If the sound goes away it times for a belt. If not then I'd look at the pulleys.

Most of the time I can get enough soap on the belt while the engine is off to determine whether it's the belt or not after starting the engine.

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck has 2000 miles... Not much..... Clicking is there listen closely..... I'll try the soap I don't think it's the belt almost sounds like fan clutch on and off but idk how to confirm or deny

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Take the belt off and try it. Is the fan engaging and disengaging?

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it certainly has a rhythm to it like it has something to do with the revolution of the belt

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I think it's fan clutch but havent had time to look into it

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My fan clutch went out at 5169 miles. Look at the fan while it’s turning. On the side toward the engine, look and see if it has a darker color stripe on the blades in one particular spot. Mine had grease running out of the clutch. Feel around on the fan blades. The grease in the clutch is very sticky.
But the grease is clear and will only show up when it gets dirty.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Another old-timey trick to check a belt for slippage was to use an old toothbrush and toothpaste. Just get some paste onto the belt while it's running and you'll know if the noise goes away. NOTE: this only a temporary, troubleshooting fix, but works on clothes dryer belts, v-belts, serpentine belts etc. Use care of course. :893karatesmiley-thu

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So brought my truck In for my clicking noise not the Cp4 another clicking noise and it wouldn't do it when there of course....I'm starting to think its temperature related. It's getting hot here in new England and the noise maybe gone away for summer... Anyone else experience this??

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It the noise happening while the AC compressor is on or off?

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even though it makes it when comptessor is on or off this time the AC was on...

Went to dealer today to pick up a part and it happened to start making noise. I went inside and asked mechanic to come take a listen and he confirmed it's coming from belt area. Not sure what it is I made a appointment I might have to cancel if noise keeps going away and coming back might reschedule until it constantly make noise so I'm not wasting my time.

OP
OP
C

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So changed out my tensioner and belt with gates..... As of now no noise.... The stock tensioner denso I think is garbage.... Let's see if it stays gone