Ticking in the engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well considering that I have been told on this thread Redline has a nickname "Hemi Honey", I assumed that it was the best. But you're right. I guess it is all relative.

I'm looking for the "synthetic oil thread" to read through for advancing my knowledge. Can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link?

syn thread

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well considering that I have been told on this thread Redline has a nickname "Hemi Honey", I assumed that it was the best. But you're right. I guess it is all relative.

I meant best is relative to the person answering the question. If you look at the oil poll last I checked redline was the 4th most used oil on the forum, so clearly most people have a "different" best. poll

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 is sitting at the dealership right now waiting for FCA’s 3rd party warranty company to come “inspect” it. 65k miles and always used redline 5w20/wix xp filter after the 4 free oil changes by the dealership.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 is sitting at the dealership right now waiting for FCA’s 3rd party warranty company to come “inspect” it. 65k miles and always used redline 5w20/wix xp filter after the 4 free oil changes by the dealership.

What's wrong with your 2017 does it have the Hemi Tick, What kind of oil was used for the 4 free oil changes, Probably out of there famous 55 gal drum mystery oil.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's wrong with your 2017 does it have the Hemi Tick, What kind of oil was used for the 4 free oil changes, Probably out of there famous 55 gal drum mystery oil.
Damn i guess i skipped that part huh, went in for hemi tick and i told the advisor it sounds like it ate the cam. Sure enough they called this morning, cam is gone and need a new long block. After it started ticking i limped it 3 miles home and 10 miles to the dealership. I think they use penzoil

RAM18ZL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm having a tick but it only lasts like a minute and its not nearly that loud and it's coming from the passenger side it sounds like. Also if anyone lives in Minnesota and knows someone that has a 6.5' box for a 1500 4th gen let me know cuz mine is starting to rust on the fenders. Not to bad but its starting.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of oil would you recommend for a vehicle that is exposed to weather like +50.C in the Summer time?
I am guessing that I have been using Mopar 5W20 for my engine all the way as the manual suggested and the result is a ticking engine.

I'm having a tick but it only lasts like a minute and its not nearly that loud and it's coming from the passenger side it sounds like. Also if anyone lives in Minnesota and knows someone that has a 6.5' box for a 1500 4th gen let me know cuz mine is starting to rust on the fenders. Not to bad but its starting.
If the ticking is not loud and sit goes after a minute, then according to what I have been told, it is more likely the exhaust manifold.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of oil would you recommend for a vehicle that is exposed to weather like +50.C in the Summer time?
I am guessing that I have been using Mopar 5W20 for my engine all the way as the manual suggested and the result is a ticking engine.

If the ticking is not loud and sit goes after a minute, then according to what I have been told, it is more likely the exhaust manifold.

you can also pull on the heat shields to see if they are loose

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Redline 5w30, and if that isn't available over there 5w30 Motul 300v.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline 5w30, and if that isn't available over there 5w30 Motul 300v.
Good to know. Redline is available here. I managed to find a good supplier.
The mechanic just informed me that he pulled the engine apart and it was what he called the "lifter rollers".
He said that he inspected the camshaft and it was perfect. There was no damage on it at all, which was a good thing. I guess I caught it in time.
From here on we're just going to get the new lifters and then only use Redline 5w30 for all the oil changes. It may be pricey, but that from what I'm hearing, its peace of mind.
Unless someone has experienced the HEMI tick even after using Redline oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read this thread, it isn't 100%.

1. Yes, Redline killed my tick..
    41 vote(s)

2. NO, Redline was NOT successful at killing my tick...
    6 vote(s)

3. It helped partially to quiet hemi tick...
    17 vote(s)
I think at a minimum the forum's results means it is worth a try. And yes the bearings are shot, buy why? Did you see the lifters? Were they scuffed on the sides?

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read this thread, it isn't 100%.

1. Yes, Redline killed my tick..
    41 vote(s)

2. NO, Redline was NOT successful at killing my tick...
    6 vote(s)

3. It helped partially to quiet hemi tick...
    17 vote(s)
I think at a minimum the forum's results means it is worth a try. And yes the bearings are shot, buy why? Did you see the lifters? Were they scuffed on the sides?
Agree with that kind of track record, Redline is worth giving a shot.
I visited the workshop today and got a good look at the issue. One of the lifters is completely missing a roller.
Also the mechanic has a friend that works in the main dealer who said that any vehicle that comes in, they always use SAE-5w20 or SAE-5w30 and that this roller issue is just a common fault with the engine. It cannot be prevented in any way.
So that dealer contact suggested that we use SAE-5w30 for all the oil changes and there are a number Dodge HEMI vehicles running on it without a single issue.

My preference with the recommendation from @Burla is to still use Redline 5w30 as the oil of choice just for my own peace of mind.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-03 at 10.27.00.jpeg

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He might be right, he might be wrong. The evidence I have is that the tick is gone and in used oil analysis's the long term wear numbers in those hemi's get way better, and knock wood none of the usual's on reldine now for ten years have not had any cam or lifter fail. Agreed that isn't proof, small sample size, but as you say, it is worth a try.

Redline 5w30 hemi honey.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The roller is missing........... thats crazy. Usually they are just frozen.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got to comment on this, I will be willing to bet that that roller lifter missing the roller has caused some kind of damage to the hardness of the cam lobe, That cam should be replaced along with all new lifters, that roller has to be in pieces in the oil pan.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I am running 10W30 and next change am going with 10W40 Always synthetic. Run high mileage between changes but replace oil filter twice per change. Expect to hit 400,000 km next year with no big issues yet but doing more runs in 1979 Chev van even for business uses. Cheaper to maintain/run than newer vehicles. Newest vehicle in fleet is Ford Crown Victoria 20 years old bought off lift for $6000. with 38000 km owned by deceased retired soldier and for sale by estate. Heard about such deals but never really believed the stories. My mechanic who was servicing one of my business vehicles had called me to come get it as it was done and walked in to see the CV on the lift. It was undercoated and clean, immaculate condition. I asked who owns that and he said you do if you want it as it was being certified to be sold. I offered $6000. and he called the estate trustee who agreed. It never left the premises. Paperwork was delivered next day, certified cheque paid and my son drove it home. They do not make full size cars like that anymore. Bought it for my son who is six foot five and 218 pounds no fat. Present day small cars (pisscutters) are useless for him, he needs room!

Desertdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '12 hemi tic was called "normal" by the dealer in Tucson, AZ. I bought the extended warranty (at 95k) that they insisted on. Good thing, it blew up at 101k!! After a 3 week fight with Veritas Global, they finally agreed to pay around 65% for a new long block. It has a 50k warranty so I'm cancellin6the worthless one. Will get back some $$. BTW, Redline oil did nothing to reduce the noise, so if it doesn't help yours, get it looked at immediately.