ticking lifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david foster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 5.7 classic. every once in a while i go to start it and a lifter will tick loudly for
about 4 seconds and then goes away i use synthetic oil and change every 5,000 mi ,
I have 31,000 miles on and the truck runs excellent , is this somthing i should be concered about ?

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Switch to a higher moly blend oil. Redline seems to help keep things lubed after a cool down. Few other brands too. I’m sure ppl will chime in. I run 5w30

mootspoints

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the issue and I’m very concerned with it. The lifters are clearly oil starved at startup. It’s inevitable that there either is or will be mechanical damage from this. I’ve had mine in the dealer three times and they can’t reproduce. Sent videos to Chrysler and the dealer and they acknowledged that it sounds like a lifter problem, but no fix. Here’s a video:

Str13alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Might be a case for a faulty oil pump or Bad spark plug wires can also tick if the spark goes to ground. Check engine or ignition system which is making the sound.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was buying a truck a few months ago. The first truck the sales guy started was horrible. Ticked extremely bad. He just kept throttling it saying oil must of drained from the lifters. I said, I won’t be buying this truck especially now after he kept throttling it. Ticked for 10 minutes before it quieted down. I’d escalate this issue if you can

mootspoints

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was buying a truck a few months ago. The first truck the sales guy started was horrible. Ticked extremely bad. He just kept throttling it saying oil must of drained from the lifters. I said, I won’t be buying this truck especially now after he kept throttling it. Ticked for 10 minutes before it quieted down. I’d escalate this issue if you can
I’m trying and have a rep but they don’t return my calls or emails. Taking to a different dealer to see if they will do anything about it...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
go buy the longest extended service contract you can purchase from the dealer Mpar OEM COntraact.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tick at cold start for a few seconds is usually because the lifter is not pumping up as it should. They all bleed down when the engine is off, but should immediately pump back up when it’s started.

When is the last time you changed the oil? Do you use conventional 5w20 or synthetic?

My work vehicle has a 5.7 in it and unfortunately all it sees is quick change services every 5k. I can tell when it’s close to time to change the oil because cold start has a nasty lifter tick. Fresh oil and it’s quiet again. My last one made it 145k and it was still quiet once it warmed up and with fresh oil. It would still be on the road if it wasn’t for the transmission going out.

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Maybe even the latest hemi's have this lube starvation problem that causes the roller lifters to wear heavily:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Is there a bunch of Bots joining forums to post about this Uncle ******* Mechanic, in order to bump up his Youtube Income?

Seriously, the oil must be spread around, throughout the engine, by the crank spinning, in the oil that has settled, at the bottom of the engine, waiting to be picked up by the oil pump and spread throughout the Engine?

The fact that their is not a clear path for that random splashing to go up and lubricate the camshaft, which will cause secondary lubrication of the lifters, is the sole reason for the Hemi Woes.

That and only that is the Cause for the lack of proper lubrication?

Road imperfections, that cause the shocks to rise and fall, that cause the Vehicle Springs to rise and fall, all to cushion the vehicles occupants, to prevent them from being tossed around like a piece of chicken, in a Shake-n-Bake Bag, is going to have absolutely no effect on the oil, just resting there, waiting to be picked up by the oil pump.

The oil Pump itself, serves no discernible purpose or function. All of the known Hemi Woes. are due to lack of lubrication because the Crankcase oil, Splashing about, is partially blocked or diverted? Weak OIl pump,too thin an oil recommended or even the low idle itself, along with MDS, all to lower emission standards has absolutely, sensitively , no effect, whatsoever

yep, that's how engines work.

Meat comes from Grocery stores.
So too Vegetable.
Just like an Engines Oil Pump,
(Odd name,that? OIL PUMP?)
Those silly Farmers serve no purpose,whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2019 5.7 classic. every once in a while i go to start it and a lifter will tick loudly for
about 4 seconds and then goes away i use synthetic oil and change every 5,000 mi ,
I have 31,000 miles on and the truck runs excellent , is this somthing i should be concered about ?

I have new 2020 1500 Limited that's got the 10 to 15sec chatter on cold start ups. Honestly I'm pissed that RAM has yet to make a reasonable effort or offer a explanation for their infamous noisy lifter tick and chatter. My plan is to wait till after my first oil change and see what happen. If it isn't resolved or RAM hasn't offered a resolution I will be getting rid of this POS and going back to Toyota. Thankfully I also still have my 2006 Toyota Tundra with 232,000 miles and never a engine noise since day one.

Its ashamed as a new truck owner I feel I made a gamble buying this truck and personally I really don't have the time or effort to deal with the kids at the stealership and the robo lip service they are programmed to spew.... Sorry for the rant but after reading these continuous post on this very issue has got me a bit ticked ;o) HEY RAM!!!! You listening!!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will be uploading a video of the startup noise soon.mmmm looks like my video disappeared...

With only 370 mile it has developed a startup metallic chatter and tick for over a minute in this video. Anyone else have this noise on startup?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will be uploading a video of the startup noise soon.mmmm looks like my video disappeared...

With only 370 mile it has developed a startup metallic chatter and tick for over a minute in this video. Anyone else have this noise on startup?

Update to dealer response...

After a couple of emails and messages to my dealer I've gotten NO response. So I guess its a visit to see the GM. ;O(

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the thread in my sig, many ram forum members have fixed thiers.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
redline oil 5w30
anyoil and addlubegaurd
no lubegaurd? then get Liqui Moly

so, 1 2 3.

relline is best but each helps out tremedously