Tie rod ends

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rand2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, I have to change the rack and pinion steering on my 2014. Would you guys recommend buying new tie rod ends and swapping or is that a waste of money? Truck only has 42k and I’m the original owner. Thanks for any advice

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will save time just putting new tie rods on they are cheap just keep in mind you will need a alignment after the new rack.

OP
OP
R

Rand2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of what I figured.. Ty !! Oem or will after market be ok

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would re-use them if they still fee 'tight'. OEM parts they put on vehicles on the assembly line are a higher grade prouct that must meet the manufacture's specifications. They'll be better than the vast majority of aftermarket products ...generally speaking which aren't checked and tested by Chrysler if they're meeting specifications.

My truck has 172k miles and the original tie rods are still good and she goes straight (and tight) down the road. So ...42k miles??? That's nothing. Chances are you'd end up putting on an inferior product that won't give you 130k miles....

If they still feel 'tight', you could do your tie-rod ends a real favor by holding the boot 'tight' with your fingers and rotating and revolving the stud by hand. By holding down the boot tight and rotating the stud it's full range of motion, you'll be working grease back into the joint and therefore extending it's life ..more so than not doing so. If owners or mechanics did that every 20-30k miles on vehicles, suspension joints would probably last forever.

The operating principle on modern non-greaseable joints is, you have a highly-polished ball on the end of the stud, pressed into a nylon-bushed joint (with some grease in it). So there's not a lot of friction, and as it does wear, there's still pressure even as the pressed-pressure on the nylon is reduced. They generally work great and can last a long time.

If ya take a look at the anatomy of a dead (worn) tie-rod/ball joint .....what generally kills modern joints is, some area of the polished stud remains dry of grease too long, and/or water enters (torn boot or submerged too long), and rust can develop on part of the polished ball-end. Then, the friction and 'grit' from the rusty stud tears up the teflon (or nylon) bushing as it slides across it. It soon wears the nylon portion out. But if you keep them dry of water, replace the boot if it begins to crack ...and periodically work grease back around the ball stud periodically, it greatly extends the steering joint's life. They can live the life of your vehicle.

Avoid this:
1665347787659.png

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I needed a good laugh today.

I guess we'll have to disagree ...I'll stand by my claim ...for most OEM parts.

Last edited: