Timber Grove Rear ASAM Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins 24 valve
I ordered a set of Timber Grove airbags for my 2015 1500 to help tighten up the rear end while I tow my 24' travel trailer. Loaded up, it weighs around 6500# with a 680# tongue weight. My weight distribution hitch levels the truck back out and I'm hoping the air bags will bring back the couple inches to the factory rake.

I saw the instructional video online for the install and it seems very straight forward, I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience installing these and maybe some tips/tricks to help the process along. I don't plan on running the valve into the bed like the instructions show, I don't like the idea of something bouncing around back there and busting it off. I plan on running it next to my fuel cap so it's out of the way but in a place that I can easily access it with a portable air compressor. I also like the idea of being able to see the gap between the rear tire and fender as you're adding air. Plus, I can't lower my tailgate all the way when my trailer is hooked up without it hitting the trailer jack so I could see that being a PITA when trying to air up the bags.

I'll try to take some pictures of the install this weekend if I'm not rushed with other projects.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It's a pretty easy install really cant think of anything off the top of my head that would help.
Real happy with mine just need to get some on board air so I can adjust the air pressure from the seat.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I installed my Timber Groves by myself and it wasn't too bad. It took longer for me because I didn't have the ratcheting box ends, but no big deal. I ran my air fill line to the back and through the license plate bolt hole. Had to trim some plastic off the back to make it work. Then I added an Air Lift WirelessOne compressor a few weeks later. I just T'd into the line that ran to the license plate and was all set.

The only thing I would say is to make sure you get the rear up in the air so the axle drops all the way so you can access the nuts you have to install easier.

OP
OP
Ian

Ian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins 24 valve
Thanks for the replies guys. I might go with onboard air later down the road, but for now my cheap portable air compressor will do the trick. I haven't decided if I'm going to run up to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap set of ratcheting wrenches for the bolts.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Buddy just chucked his cheap problematic in coil bags for a set of these. He removed the spare then jacked the back of the truck up put jack stands under the frame rails so he had room to work. (Both for himself with the tire and for the bags between the axle & frame rail.) It took less than 2 hours start to finish and said it was straight forward with no issues. He did not add any on board air system. I have a similar axle to frame set up by now defunct TLC Total Load Control and did the same but their fatter bags were really tight on clearances and I had rubbing issues the first go round. I put my fill point next to the license plate and am happy with it but I like the clean look idea of behind the fuel cap.

I transport TTs and use mine daily. Four and half years and 468,000 miles love em. Pull your loaded truck & trailer on the scales set your WDH then add enough air to get you in the 14 to 18 psi range depending on whether its a 6 or 8k trailer, how you have set your tongue weight, and what you have in the bed. No 35 psi stiff riding bo-ing bouncy air pressure required to then load so that they can hold it up. (in coil bag Mfg states to fill before loading to avoid a bag ballooning out between a coil instead of lifting the load) You don't have to fill these up before loading the truck they will lift it. Aired up mine picks up from a slight sag or flat truck to a slight rake. Typically a 1 to 3" rise in the height of my rear bumper. It also makes for a better easier use of your WDH to distribute or set your axle weights. More importantly the ride is so much better the suspension is dampened and controlled when you hit rough pavement. Never wallow over and through something again or shutter and dart from rough pavement. Done right its a fantastic compliment to a WDH and the truck in general.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian

Ian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins 24 valve
Thanks guys! Got everything hooked up!

I had a bit of a leak at the T fitting but have since fixed it. Everything else went well and I’m excited try give them a shot on our next camping trip.

B6285D77-3DFB-473B-97FA-1C3495D149FD.jpeg

1427B97E-8AFD-4DC5-9B61-5B06D50293C2.jpeg

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You will like them and how they handle towing.

rbmiles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas
It's a pretty easy install really cant think of anything off the top of my head that would help.
Real happy with mine just need to get some on board air so I can adjust the air pressure from the seat.
Hey, nice truck 69GWC. Do you have the Timber Grove bags on your 22 Power Wagon? I looks like your quote above was from 2018

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Hey, nice truck 69GWC. Do you have the Timber Grove bags on your 22 Power Wagon? I looks like your quote above was from 2018

I had them on my last truck a 1500 Express, really nice bags.
Might put them on the wagon at some point.

Attachments

• 15C80BE1-7BD6-43FF-B3D9-4DB6AE04CF24.jpeg
    15C80BE1-7BD6-43FF-B3D9-4DB6AE04CF24.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2C24277E-5F84-4CCE-8F94-17ED06FF33AD.jpeg
    2C24277E-5F84-4CCE-8F94-17ED06FF33AD.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 2