Time for a NEW RAM...Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a 2018 2500 6.4 with the unfixable "studder"......Started to studder at 35,000 miles and I now have 45,000....Driving me crazy! Been in the shop four times at two different dealers for a total of 11 weeks. Pages of parts replaced and still doing it!@!!

Thinking about a new truck.....Still a RAM fan. My last RAM was 2006, 5.9D and it went 225,000 trouble free miles...Loved that truck!

Now I'm back to Gas vs Diesel debate....

I love the 6.4Hemi, but it simply can't compare to a diesel for towing.

You folks with the newer trucks with the 8 speed/6.4...How has it been. Any issues? What are you getting for milage towing and not towing?

How about Diesel folks....I hear about all kinds of issues with Regen and Particulate Filters....What's up with that?.....What are you folks getting for milage towing and untowing.

Thanks for your help!

kohldad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can probably save the debate if you want a new truck anytime soon. I just tried to order a 6.4 and the only way to get it is in a 2wd Tradesman. Couldn't find out why or when the constraint would be lifted but I have two theories. One is they make more money on the diesel and are having a hard time meeting demand. Other is some sort of part delay with the engine. Either way, my upgrade from a SRW to DRW has been put on hold probably until next year. Priced out a diesel and the extra 10k for a higher maintenance vehicle and lower mileage just isn't worth it for my application of hauling a 4,000# truck camper. I've tracked my operating cost for the last 6 years compared to what it would have cost fuel mileage of my 04.5 CTD and the gas has actually been slightly cheaper. Problem is the newer trucks won't get as good as mileage as my older diesel. Realize a diesel will get more on the return, but after 150k miles, it won't make enough difference.

Now if you are towing over about 8,000# on a regular basis, a diesel would make more sense. Just recently took a trip where for the first time I would have like to have the diesel, but it was with a 3,000# camper pulling a 7,000# enclosed trailer. The 6.4 with 3.73 gears did get the job done.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 6.4 hemi and 8 speed combo beat the 2500 cummins due to the 68RFE and only 370 HP. not to mention the cummins in 2500 application has only like 2k payload. my hemi has almost 3k payload. sure the cummins will tow more but a 13k lb trailer will come close to maxing out payload quick. I would suggest either the 3500 SRW HO cummins with Aisin or 6.4 hemi 2500 with 4.10 gears if you can find one.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Can probably save the debate if you want a new truck anytime soon. I just tried to order a 6.4 and the only way to get it is in a 2wd Tradesman. Couldn't find out why or when the constraint would be lifted but I have two theories. One is they make more money on the diesel and are having a hard time meeting demand. Other is some sort of part delay with the engine. Either way, my upgrade from a SRW to DRW has been put on hold probably until next year. Priced out a diesel and the extra 10k for a higher maintenance vehicle and lower mileage just isn't worth it for my application of hauling a 4,000# truck camper. I've tracked my operating cost for the last 6 years compared to what it would have cost fuel mileage of my 04.5 CTD and the gas has actually been slightly cheaper. Problem is the newer trucks won't get as good as mileage as my older diesel. Realize a diesel will get more on the return, but after 150k miles, it won't make enough difference.

Now if you are towing over about 8,000# on a regular basis, a diesel would make more sense. Just recently took a trip where for the first time I would have like to have the diesel, but it was with a 3,000# camper pulling a 7,000# enclosed trailer. The 6.4 with 3.73 gears did get the job done.
There is a microchip shortage right now. Manufacturers can’t build “complicated” models, the more features a vehicle has, the more microchips it takes to build, so some are only building base models right now to be able to build as many cars as possible, some manufacturers have **** down entirely. It’s a pretty big deal in the auto industry right now. I manage a Honda dealership and they just allocated us zero cars this month for the first time ever, and we’re a fairly large store.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may help or may not. I have a 16K fifth wheel with a 3700 lb pin weight. Pulling on flats I’ll get 12-14 mpg. Unloaded at 75 mph I’ll get 22-24mpg. IMO unless you tow heavy, tow often over 7K, or put a lot of highway miles on your truck AND tow over 7K, get the 6.4. Diesel option cost too damn much if it’s not needed.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a microchip shortage right now. Manufacturers can’t build “complicated” models, the more features a vehicle has, the more microchips it takes to build, so some are only building base models right now to be able to build as many cars as possible, some manufacturers have **** down entirely. It’s a pretty big deal in the auto industry right now. I manage a Honda dealership and they just allocated us zero cars this month for the first time ever, and we’re a fairly large store.

what exactly are you trying to say. if they didnt source those parts from china they could still be sending cars down the assembly line full steam ahead ? :anitoof: i virtually quit buying anything made in china many years ago

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
what exactly are you trying to say. if they didnt source those parts from china they could still be sending cars down the assembly line full steam ahead ? :anitoof: i virtually quit buying anything made in china many years ago

I agree with the china made crap. They can hold us hostage on so many things we need in life.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That’s not what I said at all, but if that’s your takeaway, mozel tov

rick1201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 2500 6.4 with the unfixable "studder"......Started to studder at 35,000 miles and I now have 45,000....Driving me crazy! Been in the shop four times at two different dealers for a total of 11 weeks. Pages of parts replaced and still doing it!@!!

Thinking about a new truck.....Still a RAM fan. My last RAM was 2006, 5.9D and it went 225,000 trouble free miles...Loved that truck!

You folks with the newer trucks with the 8 speed/6.4...How has it been. Any issues? What are you getting for milage towing and not towing?

How about Diesel folks....I hear about all kinds of issues with Regen and Particulate Filters....What's up with that?.....What are you folks getting for milage towing and untowing.

Thanks for your help!

What is the unfixable stutter you mention? What models is this associated with? Currently I have 1500 but thinking about shopping for 6.4 gasser.

Rick

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
5x Cummins owner here, and I currently have a 6.4 with 8 speed and 4.10 gears. My payload is 3037 pounds, and tow capacity is 17,030 pounds, it doesn't even flinch at my 9000 pound travel trailer. Have not missed diesel one little bit!

Last edited:

Power Hounder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have on order a 3500 they said 10 to 12 weeks. I was wondering how they could do that when I see so many factories idle because of a chip shortage.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Many of the micro processors in the various modules are simply not being produced in any kind of quantity right now. It's not a "China" thing, it's an entire southeast Asia thing. They're running short on supplies to produce the silicon wafers. A massive drought has also effected production. TSMC and Global Foundries are the two largest semiconductor manufacturers, both of which are running at limited capacity right now. Last I heard TSMC was having to have water trucked in just to operate at a limited capacity.

It's not just vehicle electronics that are in short supply. Computer CPU's, GPU's, RAM and flash are all in short supply.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 6.4 hemi and 8 speed combo beat the 2500 cummins due to the 68RFE and only 370 HP. not to mention the cummins in 2500 application has only like 2k payload. my hemi has almost 3k payload. sure the cummins will tow more but a 13k lb trailer will come close to maxing out payload quick. I would suggest either the 3500 SRW HO cummins with Aisin or 6.4 hemi 2500 with 4.10 gears if you can find one.
Hey I have a 2019 2500, 6.4 , 410s, Been excellent for me Runs like a clock. Just hope I didn’t jinx myself LOL. Recently Installed a Fisher 8’ MM2

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
if they didnt source those parts from china they could still be sending cars down the assembly line full steam ahead

Actually, they source them from Taiwan, who produces about 90% of the chips in everything we buy...appliances, cell phones, the computer you are posting this on.....The problem started when COVID prompted car manufacturers to predict a slowdown in sales and cancel chip orders. When they finally figured out sales were going up, the chip makers told them to get in line behind everyone else that had continue to order big. Apple, Samsung, Huwei...They don't have chip supply problems because they stockpiled them. The auto makers have no one to blame but their own poor planning.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 6.4 Tradesman here... What no s of "stutter" do
I need to be on the lookout for?
Only 14000 miles.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the china made crap. They can hold us hostage on so many things we need in life.

yep. beside the fact nearly everything they make is poor qaulity garbage but also your giving money to communists that would just as soon like to see you dead. no thanks ill spend my money else where

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6

Thanks for your help!
I have a 2007 5,9 G-56. It's going with me to the grave. Keep looking and maybe you'll find a well maintained 5.9 out there in one of the dry states. If I had a new one I'd work it. The shop I use sees most of the problems with grocery getters on the new ones.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So just out of curiosity I went to the local ram dealers website. 3rd largest city in Kentucky and there are zero new rams listed for sale. Crazy!

https://www.martindodgejeepchrysler.com/new-vehicles/ram/

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
So just out of curiosity I went to the local ram dealers website. 3rd largest city in Kentucky and there are zero new rams listed for sale. Crazy!

https://www.martindodgejeepchrysler.com/new-vehicles/ram/

I've been following local dealer inventory for about 2 months now. Lately, all Ram dealers are getting in are base trim trucks. Tradesman in both 1500's and 2500's. Same story at Ford dealers. Only getting in XL's.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I looked at the online inventory search tool for Ram. Unbelievable how little inventory is out there. I searched some if the dealers I checked with when I bought mine 1.5 years ago, and I see single digits for brand new at some of them. Not an ideal time to order one, and at least near me probably paying close to sticker for the ones on a lot.