Time to replace the duratracs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That's a 5 yr old article. Lol. Be interested to see if they still use the Duratracs or if they moved on to something else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
They still run the Duratrac tires on the Sheriff truck that currently patrols the Grand Mesa.

The first link is a 22 month old article with Duratrac tires clearly shown on their new RAD (Rural area Deputy) 2016 RAM truck. Notice it comes equipped with the wheels and winch similar to the 2016 Power Wagon.

The 2nd link is from the county website and also shows Duratrac tires on their "specialized equipment" 4x4 pickup.

http://blog.mesacounty.us/2016/09/this-week-in-pics_23.html?m=1

http://sheriff.mesacounty.us/law/template.aspx?id=5205

Last edited:
OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
8k miles on my duratracs and already 3 flats. That's a bummer, they grip pretty well just no durability. Buddies with ko2 and wildpeak mt have not had a flat and wheeled the same places at the same time.

Rocks punctured the tread so they were repairable just not reliable in my opinion

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I too prefer the Duratrac grip especially in the snow. The mountain highway near my home that I have to drive during winter lacks any guardrails further up and any slipping is not desired. I would love to replace the original Duratrac tires with the 35 12.5R17 size, but only if I could carry the same size spare underneath on my 2016 PW.

With the same experience of a small rock puncturing the tread I realized that the Duratrac tires are more vulnerable to minor punctures. Most likely I will purchase five 285 75R17 tires of either KO2 or ST Maxx. The Duratrac isn't available in that size. Ran KOs for decades and never had an issue, other than a poorer snow grip than the Duratrac when they aged.

holmessquad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My stock Duratracs have 20k on them. They did great in snow this winter. Developed some sidewall cracking within last 1k miles. Kinda worried about sidewalls now.

xACRx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I too prefer the Duratrac grip especially in the snow. The mountain highway near my home that I have to drive during winter lacks any guardrails further up and any slipping is not desired. I would love to replace the original Duratrac tires with the 35 12.5R17 size, but only if I could carry the same size spare underneath on my 2016 PW.

With the same experience of a small rock puncturing the tread I realized that the Duratrac tires are more vulnerable to minor punctures. Most likely I will purchase five 285 75R17 tires of either KO2 or ST Maxx. The Duratrac isn't available in that size. Ran KOs for decades and never had an issue, other than a poorer snow grip than the Duratrac when they aged.
I ran KOs on 3 different trucks and remember on 2 of the trucks cracks between the treads and even the sidewalls cracking. For this reason, I would never buy them again. Anyone else ever have problems with the KOs?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
2nd Duratrac small stone puncture today near an Iowa cornfield. The stock jack under the axle doesn't lift high enough for the repaired tire. Had to obtain and place a large block of wood under the axle in order to lower the stock jack and remove it. Then placed a 2x4 under it to lift. Several hours later I was back on the road again.

Will I purchase Duratrac's ever again for my PW? No.

Last edited:

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am on my second set of KO2's on my RAM 1500. The first set was perfect! Easy to balance, no issues...I just wore them out at about 50K miles. The second set has been a nightmare to balance. I bought them at Sam's Club in Colorado Springs, and they have been helpful, but to get them balanced the last time, (2 weeks ago) I went to Les Schwab and paid $64 for a regular balance job. Expensive, but the job was done right.

For reference, I drive in similar conditions that the OP does in this area...pavement, dirt road, snow, hunting trips in the mountains, towing a trailer. I love the KO2's for their traction and sidewalls, but hate the balance issues.

When talking to the tech that did the balancing at Les Schwab, he said he would get Toyo or Nitto if it was his truck. If I had bought the KO2's from Les Schwab, they would have done the road force balancing in the cost of the purchase. Food for thought.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Been eyeing the toyo open country mt...looking at other suggestions. A friend told me to look at toyo open country rt and Atturo trail blade xt or mt.
I have heard of treadwright but not sure I trust remolds.

Looking to spend under $300 a tire.

Anyone have any suggestions or what are they running. I do 70on road 30 off road, snowy winters, I do some rocks as well as some mud. Mostly rocky. Also tow a 9k trailer 10 to 12 times a year. Thx in advance

I have the STT Pros and love them and got them about 280 per in 35x12.50x20 online, but have not put them through any trailer trips though. careful with those Toyo MTs. I have them on my 85 K5 Blazer in 37x14.50x15s granted that is a meaty tire size, they are weigh almost 100 lbs a tire. So that can really stress your stuff, in a smaller size with bigger wheel I am sure it is far less extreme though. Pic of my stts

37387635_2110672568944146_4876502217156198400_n.jpg

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Since I'm not in a hurry this is all great info. I was eyeing the falken wildpeak mt also the cooper stt pro

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have the STT Pros and love them and got them about 280 per in 35x12.50x20 online, but have not put them through any trailer trips though. careful with those Toyo MTs. I have them on my 85 K5 Blazer in 37x14.50x15s granted that is a meaty tire size, they are weigh almost 100 lbs a tire. So that can really stress your stuff, in a smaller size with bigger wheel I am sure it is far less extreme though. Pic of my stts

View attachment 135176

Do you know what part of the forum you’re posting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Hah, no missed that, caught it on the recent thread list and just posted a reply lol. I will see myself out.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Ordered five (5) Cooper ST Maxx tires today to replace the OEM Duratrac tires. The normal tire sway with the load range D OEM Duratrac tires on my 2016 PW was getting steadily worse at 34,000 miles while loaded and towing. Running load range E Duratrac tires on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 and never had any sway issue towing the same loaded trailer with the same load in the truck bed.

I was just seconds away from purchasing the Falken Wildpeaks A/T3W for their 3 Mountain Peak Snowflake symbol, but the Discount Tire Salesman in Grand Junction, Colorado gave my inquiry of the 34.06" ST Maxx some outstanding praises. Tires were readily available from their Texas warehouse. Size 285 75R17 Load Range E. By comparison the BFG KO2 35 12.50 17 is 34.5". Can run tire chains with no issues and easily mount the spare underneath with a 34" tire.

Thought about the Toyo M/ T tires in the 34" size, but the nearest Les Schwab for the best deals and availability is an 8 hour and nearly 500 mile round trip drive away in Denver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ordered five (5) Cooper ST Maxx tires today to replace the OEM Duratrac tires. The normal tire sway with the load range D OEM Duratrac tires on my 2016 PW was getting steadily worse at 34,000 miles while loaded and towing. Running load range E Duratrac tires on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 and never had any sway issue towing the same loaded trailer with the same load in the truck bed.

I was just seconds away from purchasing the Falken Wildpeaks A/T3W for their 3 Mountain Peak Snowflake symbol, but the Discount Tire Salesman in Grand Junction, Colorado gave my inquiry of the 34.06" ST Maxx some outstanding praises. Tires were readily available from their Texas warehouse. Size 285 75R17 Load Range E. By comparison the BFG KO2 35 12.50 17 is 34.5". Can run tire chains with no issues and easily mount the spare underneath with a 34" tire.

Thought about the Toyo M/ T tires in the 34" size, but the nearest Les Schwab for the best deals and availability is an 8 hour and nearly 500 mile round trip drive away in Denver.

What did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
$274 each for the tires. $1,600 total with mounting, balancing, taxes, and disposal.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Not terrible at all, I was looking online and cheapest I saw was 269 a tire, I'm looking at these due to the 10ply and towing but I like the cepek extreme country as well. Have not had either brand

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I just installed the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, # 28030612, 285x70-17 E (Snow Flake). Discount matched an online dealer, $863.00 out the door (didn't buy their road hazard warranty). Went this way for the Snowflake and their great reviews in all conditions.
So far very pleased.

My brother is getting the same today on his Cummins Mega Cab 3500. He had the Duratracs with Kevlar but was wearing them out too soon pulling a heavy trailer. Goodyear wouldn't do anything about it because he had too much tread left. On the positive, they did good in 4-6 inches of snow.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I just installed the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, # 28030612, 285x70-17 E (Snow Flake). Discount matched an online dealer, $863.00 out the door (didn't buy their road hazard warranty). Went this way for the Snowflake and their great reviews in all conditions.
So far very pleased.

My brother is getting the same today on his Cummins Mega Cab 3500. He had the Duratracs with Kevlar but was wearing them out too soon pulling a heavy trailer. Goodyear wouldn't do anything about it because he had too much tread left. On the positive, they did good in 4-6 inches of snow.
4-6 inches of the normal wet and heavy snow in California and Oregon mountains is different than 4-6 of the normal dry and puffy snow of Colorado and Wyoming. I have driven each state in winter.

The issues here in Colorado and Wyoming with non winter rated tires is that in extreme cold the rubber hardens and loses its grip. The Duratrac I found performed excellent in extreme cold (below zero Fahrenheit). However, having two pebbles puncture my Duratrac tires this summer and the sidewall sway was even worse on hotter days, I determined that they were too soft of a tire to keep running on my heavy PW. The ST Maxx has a stronger tire carcass than the Duratrac, but with less siping. I am hoping that they will perform OK in Colorado and Wyoming winter conditions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
376steve