Time to replace the duratracs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for the update, I'm torn between the stt pro and st max, the pro has a more aggressive look but seeing we are both in Colorado the traction of the max maybe the way to go

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Oh and while my profile shows colorado springs. I own property in fairplay so I'm in the mountains every week

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The choice was a bit limited and so somewhat easier for these two Cooper tires of the ST Maxx and the STT Pro design. The only load range E tire for the ST Maxx that's larger than the OEM size on a 17" wheel is the 285 75R17 and for the STT Pro it's the 315 70R17 and the 37 13.50R17. There's sipes on each of the ST Maxx tire lugs and not as much on the STT Pro. In theory the more tire sipes might help with traction along any icy stretch of highway through South Park, but then both designs aren't running that much siping to begin with.

Last edited:

Superjustable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went with the Continental Terrain Contacts. So far I’m very pleased. It’s a relatively new offering from Continental . Good luck

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
There's nothing too impressive or even stands out a tad with running a 285 75R17 (34") tire on the Power Wagon. It's not a big wide tire.

Floating on the snow while driving Red Mountain Pass on US Route 550 due to too wide of a tire isn't something taken lightly and so I didn't go any wider than the stock width. If I lived in California, Texas, or Florida then I would have purchased the wider 12.50 tires and those would look impressive.

https://303magazine.com/2017/12/pro...dos-most-dangerous-mountain-roads-and-passes/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Had anyone ran ironman all country mts they look like km2s and are half the cost of the coopers. Also still looking at the coopers and dc extreme country. Planning on new tires next week. Any feedback on them is appreciated. So top 3 are ironman all cou try mt, cooper stt pro, these are both e rated tires and the dc extreme country is a d rated tire

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Hercules (Ironman is a brand under it), **** Cepek, and Cooper STT Pro are all brands manufactured by the Cooper Tire & Rubber Company. Normally in choosing between a company's nearly identical looking brands it's the one that has their name on it which is the best choice.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I'm torn between the stt pro and st max, the pro has a more aggressive look but seeing we are both in Colorado the traction of the max maybe the way to go

The Nitto Exo Grappler AWT has the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rating, a 19.3/32" tread depth, the heavy duty 3 ply carcass, and weighs in at a hefty 74.5 pounds for the 35 12.50R17 size. Compare its weight to the 70 pounds for the Toyo Open Country M/ T and 65 pounds for the BFG KO2 of the same 35 12.50R17 size. So it is a snow rated tire built for a heavy duty truck like our Power Wagons.

If Nitto had made a 315 70R17 Exo Grappler AWT in the same 34.4" diameter of their Ridge Grappler tire I could be able to mount it as a spare underneath. The Exo Grappler AWT would have been my first choice for driving through Colorado high country snow and it would be tough enough for our sharp broken granite 4x4 roads. Unfortunately, it has a 34.8" diameter and has a 8.5" rim width recommendation.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It still amazes me how much smaller 35s look on my PW vs my old 2500. Makes me wanna jump to 37s when I need new tires, but def not sure on that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You’re playing in the Power Wagon subform. Thanks for visiting, it’s time to wrap this up and take your maybe a little heavy tongue weight back to half-ton land. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Douche!
Although it is in the Power Wagon section, it was a post about tires! So does this mean only people with Power Wagons are allowed to post on this subject in this section?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Douche!
Although it is in the Power Wagon section, it was a post about tires! So does this mean only people with Power Wagons are allowed to post on this subject in this section?

Personally, I don't lurk or comment in the lesser truck threads.:hidesbehindsofa:

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Personally, I don't lurk or comment in the lesser truck threads.:hidesbehindsofa:
I comment where I have knowledge to share. Doesn't matter to me if it's for a 1500 or a 2500 like I drive now. I've owned a 1500 before so if I have insight about something I share it.
This was about tires and all our trucks use tires.

2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 Hemi 4:10 Gears Ram Boxes 35x12.50R18 on Factory Wheels

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going with Coopers as well, but the STT Pro 37-13.5-R17. Will be installed next week when the wheels arrive. Thuren leveling kit will be here tomorrow.

Did I miss where you posted your pics?
Seeing as your post is a few months old, I assume you are running the STT's? How are they doing for you?
I'm going to pull the trigger soon on either the STT's or KOs.
Going with 315/70 17.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn