Time to replace the duratracs

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Meister, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Although the Dick Cepek Extreme Country is made by Cooper tires, per the following tire guide it states that it utilizes a 2 ply carcass vs the 3 plies on the Cooper M/T's. The Armor Tek3 ply carcass is used in the Cooper STT Pro and ST Maxx, whereas some other brands that the guide mentions also are stated to use 3 plies.

Since I have had no experience with the D.C. brand of tire I can't provide an opinion as to having one or even less plies in the protection against punctures is any issue on my heavy PW. I do know that just driving down paved town streets little pebbles punctured through the 2 ply carcass of my Duratrac tires twice. I will be installing my 3 ply new M/T tires tomorrow in order that I can have some confidence against flats.

http://blog.tiresniffer.com/tire-buyers-guide/top-10-best-mud-terrain-tires-2016

Meister likes this.
  2. Meister

Meister Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    Thanks for the read, here is what DC claims

Extreme Country features a 2-Ply Next Generation High Tensile (HT) carcass corded wrap to give that bolstered sidewall strength sans the addition of increased rolling resistance, heat accumulation, weight and stiff ride.

Lots of jeepers running the DC but dont have half the weight so I'm not sure what to think. It's like the MTR with kevlar, you pay for it but is it that much better. Not knocking the MTR just a thought

3. Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    KIMG0435.jpg KIMG0439.jpg Here's a picture of my ST Maxx that I am installing now. Spare fit tightly and perfectly at 34.06 inches with no modifications to the factory electrical wiring. In comparison, the 315 70R17 BFG KO2 OEM tires on the Ford Raptor are 34.4 inches. My 285 75R17 tires are 11/32" shorter in height unmounted and a bit narrower to minimize tire flotation in deep snow and for better tire chain clearance.

Tread is actually 6 plies of different materials and sidewall is 3 plies.

The High Tensile carcass of the Dick Cepek Extreme Country is all relative to whatever they are comparing to of which isn't stated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    Chrisy likes this.
  4. JDA-PW2018

JDA-PW2018 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Very true. My truck has only 1700 miles on it. Few weeks ago was in the desert, next day started losing a few pounds of pressure in the rear driver side (sidewall puncture). Next weekend was just doing forest roads in So Cal, picked up a small sharp rock right between the tread blocks. Instant flat. Plugged it on the trail. Both tries are non-repairable.

Ordered a set of 35's Ridge Grapples. Hopefully they hold up better. Got the Americas Tire hazard warranty (they claim they will repair or replace any damage from off roading). Anyone have experience with that by chance?

Odin and Chrisy like this.