Time to replace the duratracs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Not that I really wanted a heavy tire, but that usually translates into a tough tire. These AT’s are basically the same weight as a toyo mt.
The 315 70R17 Falken Wildpeak M/T is even heavier at 80.7 pounds vs the 72.8 pounds of the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Although these are different tire designs, the Falken Wildpeak M/T could be some 8 pounds heavier due to among other factors having an even thicker sidewall than their A/T.

The Falken Wildpeak M/T, the Toyo M/T, and the Cooper STT Pro/ST Maxx all have a 3 ply sidewall construction, whereas, the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W and the Goodyear Duratrac tires both have a 2 ply sidewall construction. There must be a logical reason to which Falken would consider it necessary to add an additional ply on their M/T vs their A/T.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeak-m/t-tire-0

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 315 70R17 Falken Wildpeak M/T is even heavier at 80.7 pounds vs the 72.8 pounds of the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Although these are different tire designs, the Falken Wildpeak M/T could be some 8 pounds heavier due to among other factors having an even thicker sidewall than their A/T.

The Falken Wildpeak M/T, the Toyo M/T, and the Cooper STT Pro/ST Maxx all have a 3 ply sidewall construction, whereas, the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W and the Goodyear Duratrac tires both have a 2 ply sidewall construction. There must be a logical reason which would require Falken to add an additional ply on their M/T vs their A/T.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeak-m/t-tire-0

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

The 35” falken at3w that i have is 10 ply and is over 75 pounds. Thats nearly 10 pounds heavier than the same size bfg Ko2.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The 35” falken at3w that i have is 10 ply and is over 75 pounds. Thats nearly 10 pounds heavier than the same size bfg Ko2.
I don't think you can have light and tough on an off-road tire. Holes in sidewall from rocks suck. Been there done that. I guess if you’re never going off-roading and just after looks I’d search for light as possible.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I don't think you can have light and tough on an off-road tire. Holes in sidewall from rocks suck. Been there done that. I guess if you’re never going off-roading and just after looks I’d search for light as possible.

Even Falken recognizes that in the manufacturing of their M/T tires to be more off road worthy they have to be even heavier than their already somewhat heavy in comparison A/T. There's not much of a weight disparity between the less aggressive Cooper ST Maxx and the STT Pro though due to both utilize the same design of a 3 ply tire carcass.

The BFG KO2 has a 2 ply carcass and is lighter than any of the above. I use to run their 3 ply KO tires on my 4x4 trucks. Currently running the KO2 on a travel trailer.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Exactly. For example, my half ton ram has 275/60/20 tires. Falken at3w offers that size in a p rated 4 ply tire as well as a lt 10 ply e rated tire. The lt tire is over 10 pounds heavier than the p rated tire. When it comes time for tires on that, I will have no problem going with the lighter tire, as all I do with the truck is drive up and down the highway and rarely tow anything at all.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's been 1,500 miles since I purchased my ST Maxx tires. Tires grip excellent across Wyoming sharp gravel roads and so far no rock punctures like the Duratrac tires.

Unfortunately, today my new tire alignment just came undone far up on some remote 4x4 dirt road in the Big Horns. Steering wheel quickly went 90 degrees off center coming down a steep incline on a shelf road in 4 low. Hold on! Stopped and quickly discovered that the drag link nuts had worked themselves entirely loose and so the adjustment bar in the middle was freely turning. Kinda had to tighten things back up to proceed off of the mountain.View attachment 138873

Brought it into another alignment shop today and the front tires are again pointing away from each other. Just as they did with the original factory alignment of which a Ram dealership informed me that it was perfectly fine. The noticeable excessive outer front tire wear was blamed on the customer driving style. I brought it into an real alignment shop and they found that one tire was turned to the left and the other was turned to the right. Their workmanship to correct it just got an "F".

It looks like the steering coming loose on the Ram 2500 is being investigated. I know that my son had this issue with his 2014 too.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michiga...ure-complaints-in-some-ram-pickups/1668345399

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
As soon as I get mine leveled (Thuren), I'm going with Cooper STT Pros 37-13.5-17 on wheels with +18mm offset.

Hey brother, can you send me in the right direction as far as thuren and 37's?

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's been a couple of months with snow and mud and I'm quite happy with the STTs so far.
Several guys with truck envy have commented how much they like the looks of them too.
Haven't done any gnarly rock stuff yet but it's coming.