Timing change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Me neither, I can tune a carb engine,no problem.

Stick shift and a carburetor.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me neither, I can tune a carb engine,no problem.

Stick shift and a carburetor.

Well starting my digging in process. Posting some pictures. Still have the motor to clean up. Believe I did get that dang acorn she'll out of the water valley. Took some convincing. Lol. Taking some time here. Just so hot that sweating like crazy. May do as much as I can and come out after dark with a light when it's cooler. I'm going to do the full time up while it's easy to get to. Most likely will pull the valve cover gaskets and clean and see if I need to paint them but mainly wanting to lightly oil everything in there since it sat so long. Will keep you updated. Any thought or ideas, just let me know.IMG_20210615_122127639_HDR.jpgIMG_20210615_122120710_HDR.jpgIMG_20210615_122101890_HDR.jpgIMG_20210615_120203182_HDR.jpgIMG_20210615_120157053_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Looks good so far. Just clean those engine surfaces well. Cover your lifter valley with some towels to keep the crud outta your engine. I would think an acorn would float. As far as the heat, I use an old house central air blower. Mine is a larger belt drive unit. That way if the motor blows i can use almost any motor to replace it. Mornings are better as its the coolest. Friday here is forecast to be a humid 97, ouch. I wish I could figure out my truck, I'd be layed up in the water at a sand bar.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually laid down a bed of towels and stuff and openings. I'm going to run over every process with a fine tooth cone and triple check everything. The acorn got me because even though I blew everything out with the air hose and tried to inspect all around the intake. I missed a small pile hiding the distributor. That's what got me.lol. I am pretty sure I removed anything that was in the water channel. I took a hose adapter I made with rubber hose and ran it up in both sides the of the motor and felt back as far as I could and didn't feel anything so I'm sure its out. I'm going in the right direction, just not rushing anything. As normal rain has stopped me but at least I can finish the intake while watching TV. lol. I'm pretty sure once motor is back together she will run good. I just got lucky with leaving the pan off too long. will keep you posted and get pictures as I go.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is some updated pictures of cleaning the heads. Im still having some tough spots that I cant solve. Tried with fine soft pad on drill and it cleaned up but couple spots just don't seem to clean up? Cleaned with brake cleaner on paper towel and tried to gently clean with razor blade. Any ideas? You can see the dark spots. I just want to do it right so I don't have a leak and have to start all over again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_180832492.jpg
    IMG_20210619_180832492.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210619_180838381.jpg
    IMG_20210619_180838381.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210619_180843814.jpg
    IMG_20210619_180843814.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210619_180849330.jpg
    IMG_20210619_180849330.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210619_160623150_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210619_160623150_MP.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did just that and put it on today. With this crazy off and on rain was driving me crazy. I do have a question. Its silly but curious. I need to get some lubrication for the new O rings for the fuel injectors. Thought maybe wheel bearing grease but it doesn't sound right. I was at the store and forgot to get some Vaseline but I may just go tomorrow and get it.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a update. Got the motor back together together and started up after around 4 yrs sitting. The motor pretty much started right up and as you will see in the video smoked for a little while which seemed to me had the smell of Marvin mystery oil. As most would know it was seized up but broke loose pretty easy after a night of MM in all the cylinders. Replaced valve cover gaskets, intake both gaskets with upgraded aluminum plate. New water pump. new plugs, wires,cap and button. Double checked down the throttle body and clean as a whistle. Checked oil was good no milky substance. Oil pressure was steady around 40psi. Going tomorrow to get some more fresh gas and going to continue to put some more cleaner for gas and injectors. Here is some videos. What you guys think? It stopped smoking last time I ran it again before I called it a night but will see what it does after a night of rest and some more clean fuel put in the tank. Oh excuse my yard. lol

Sorry cant post my 1 minute video

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well Im new to doing you tube so I hope this works.This will be my first video. Smoke up from is coming from exhaust manifold. I'm going to pressure was around the motor to see if this get it to stop. wasn't a lot. smelled the same as whats coming out of the pipe. No oil burning smell at all. Still have to go back and put in the metal shields for the spark plugs. as you can see the dash is trashed but wont replace all that till I get her mechanically sound. Transmission didn't act too bad. revers was fine other then I think the brakes aren't fully releasing but I haven't taken the wheels off yet to run through and clean all that up. You see in the video they are on. I have to pull the brake pedal up to get them fully off. Transmission did slip a little in drive but when dropped to drive L it moved just fine.

Here is the link to the you tube I did. Also it was way worse on the fisrt start. this was around maybe the third time.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just thought about it too. I figured the MM drained down into the oil pan so I really didn't do a plugs out fast motor turn over before I started it. I just did the turning by hand. That may be why so much smoke in the beginning? Like I said earlier. The smoke was way down to almost nothing after a few short running times. Im going to also double check oil again to make sure its still nice and clean. I did squirt some oil on the rockers before I replaced the valve covers to make sure they didn't start dry. When I go to put back on heat shields for the spark plugs, I will take a good look at the spark plugs.I mean the engine is running very smooth. no knocking or anything. I plan on doing a fresh oil change pretty soon after I get everything going good. I have that stuff already bought. I'm in no rush since it wont be seeing the road anytime soon. I still have a lot of the basic things to go through from brakes to tires.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got some more good fuel and ran her for maybe a half an hour and the smoke wasn't there but when I went to move her out of the drive way to change direction and back her in. It died pretty every time I went forward or backwards and the smoke returned but slowly died down so I'm sure that is due to the MM cleaning everything. Since I cant drive it. I will do this throughout the week then by Sunday do a oil change. Im going to jack it up and clean the back brakes since it seems they are sticking. Watch the gauges while it ran for the 30 minutes and everything is staying steady. no codes or anything so that's good. cleaned the inside so its looks not bad. Just don't know about how the tranny going to act but I put two more quarts after I checked it and it didnt slip this time. Just kept dying when I when to move.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I've seen the manifold to head bolts back off, and from the factory there's no manifold gasket. If it's leaking from between the head and manifold, I'd put gaskets on it. The engine sounds great to me.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
As far as the idle goes, that could be the PCM trying to re-learn how to idle. I had this happen when I had a weak battery a few years back, and once when I left the interior lights on.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The smoking is gone from the manifolds. That was due to me dripping MM on them while I was filling the cylinders. I have pressure washed all around the engine. The exhaust is a combination of the MM and just cleaning itself out since it hasn't been ran. When idling it pretty much disappears. I agree she is running very good considering how long sat. I'm going to get my lazy **** up tomorrow and go through and clean inside and out of the truck. I take some pictures and do a better video of her running.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well she clean up pretty damn good. Cleaned pretty much all the rust off the front bumper. As to the engine. Its start's and runs pretty smooth. When she sits idling at first you don't see much but if she runs for a little while ( maybe 30 minutes or so) she will lightly smoke white smoke but if you rev her some she will smoke a little more but then slowly fade back to almost nothing. I didn't get to check the oil today with the rain but will look again tomorrow and the plume as well. The last time checked it both were clean. No oil at all in the intake or any water in the oil. I'm hoping its just the motor cleaning out what MM broke loose? All the gauges say everything is good and seeing no codes at all. Due to I cant title or tag the truck until I can afford to go have that done. I have to depend on mainly sitting in the yard idling. Budget exhausted right now but I'm pleased to have made it this far. Here are some pictures. LOL excuse the old trailer. Your seeing my 20ft Mako in the picture. ( Next project to do re painting it by next summer)

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_135841827.jpg
    IMG_20210702_135841827.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210702_135852122.jpg
    IMG_20210702_135852122.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210702_135900514.jpg
    IMG_20210702_135900514.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210617_163851240_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210617_163851240_MP.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well weather said no today. I'm taking it the storm in the gulf isn't helping either. I was thinking of doing the oil and filter change to remove anything that may have came out with the MM that I'm sure is still in the oil. I also need to put the heat shields back in place to protect the spark plugs. I also want to check them to see what they have to say. Maybe I will do that first so if any valves are sticking. I can take some oil out and replace it with some more MM to flush out and clean them as well. I only used MM in the cylinders when it was stuck. Since the oil pressure seems to be staying level with no dropping. I believe the pick up is clean. If you guys have any ideas, I'm welcome to listen. I haven't done a pressure check on the cylinders but will be doing that soon as well. I have to look up what they should range in. The motor has only around 143,000 miles, so they should still have good reading's.

There is a good transmission shop right down the rd from me and he has helped me in the past. Very honest guy (Which is hard to find) so I am going to talk to him about adjusting and checking the transmission. I really don't believe it needs to be rebuilt but may need some adjustments.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see why your fixing the truck now. :fishing1:
I would have loved to had it up before she passed but taking care of her was more important. She took really good care of that truck. She went from a broken leg at work to loosing feelings from the waist down which later led to wounds because she or I didn't understand about when she would play her game for hours for entertainment. My day's became getting up getting her food and moving her thought out day as well doing twice a day wound cleaning and changing as well as other duties around the house so the truck was put on hold. Not to get personal. That's why I say its been therapy for me and I know she hated letting it sit there.

It needs some cosmic done but over all the truck is in really nice condition. She wanted it to go to our daughter so that wish will be honored.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bear I was thinking. Im betting that broken bolt that is located on the right front corner is allowing enough water to get into a cylinder which is why I'm seeing the white smoke even though water isn't showing up in the oil itself. I guess I'm just going to have to man up and get it out and replace it. If I pull the plug on the cylinder next to it. It should show signs right?