Tips for leaky AC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Is your A/c working now?, I would take a soap bottle and spray around the fitting, see where or if it is leaking, if its leaking a small amount through the Schrader core and it's coming out through the cap the seal on the cap is probably worn. You could just get a new cap with a seal to stop the leaking, that way you dont have to worry about using a Schrader tool and dumping the charge, really no need to pull the cap again unless you need to install gauges.

If its leaking around where the gauge port is saddled to the line then yeah will need to replace the line,

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I did a soap test. The actual valve is leaking. I can see the bubbles. On both high. And low side.

So I will get the tool (just to have it) and see if I can nip them tight. If not. Will ask the auto parts guys

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
There are tools that allow you to pull and replace the valve cores without it losing much refrigerant. Without it you'll lose all the refrigerant.
There is two sizes of valve cores, this kit does both: Mastercool (58531) Black R134A Standard and JRA Valve Core Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KH93K/
Can anyone confirm if this tool will work to remove both high and low side valves? Looking to pick one up today

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Ok so here are the low and high side valves.

The low side is one of those type where you replace the whole by looking at it. But the inside doesn't have the diaphragm type of valve I have seen associated with the type where u remove the whole thing.

The high pressure side looks like a bigger type Schrader valve
b4bf387cbf867c0270b5958d47f1eba3.jpg
0f319542ac909df9530b1829fa4f3b76.jpg

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so here are the low and high side valves.

The low side is one of those type where you replace the whole by looking at it. But the inside doesn't have the diaphragm type of valve I have seen associated with the type where u remove the whole thing.

The high pressure side looks like a bigger type Schrader valve
b4bf387cbf867c0270b5958d47f1eba3.jpg
0f319542ac909df9530b1829fa4f3b76.jpg

Take a look at the low pressure valve, at 11 and 5 o'clock. It's a schrader valve, just smaller. At 11 and 5 o'clock is the 'center bar' that the tool uses to unscrew it.

It's there, I promise. It's just smaller than one would think.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Take a look at the low pressure valve, at 11 and 5 o'clock. It's a schrader valve, just smaller. At 11 and 5 o'clock is the 'center bar' that the tool uses to unscrew it.

It's there, I promise. It's just smaller than one would think.
Ok cool. The low pressure I was worried about. I ordered that mastercool kit referenced above. Should be here Saturday. Then I'll stop by o Reilly's, buy a valve kit, and pray. Lol

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
I have not! And had no idea this was a serviceable item. After a quick Google. Looks like there are fix it kits you can buy.

If replacing the shrader valve (which I think it is, as I see bubbling). This would still require dumping the freon right?

No if you have the right tool, you can replace it and not lose significant/measureable amount. Search schrader removal tool.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
No if you have the right tool, you can replace it and not lose significant/measureable amount. Search schrader removal tool.
Yeah I went ahead and got that mastercool tool. Will be delivered tomorrow, so will give it a shot and report back

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
FYI the mastercool kit referenced above doesn't work.

The longer piece fits on the low side, but it's too long to clear the overhang.

Neither of the bits provided fit the high side. So will give the big 130 dollar kit a try

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI the mastercool kit referenced above doesn't work.

The longer piece fits on the low side, but it's too long to clear the overhang.

Neither of the bits provided fit the high side. So will give the big 130 dollar kit a try

Which kit/parts worked and what did you wind up doing?

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Which kit/parts worked and what did you wind up doing?
Work in progress. Lol I just got the mastercool "master kit" today. So I'll head to the auto parts store, and hopefully get time this weekend lol

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
SO SUMMARY TIME!!

**** that tool!! I dont know if its ke, or I got a **** tool. But I installed as instructed, close the valve, and when i went to unscrew the shaft nut to change the valve... PSSSHHHHHHH. **** just wouldn't stop. I don't think the ball valve is sealing. Anyway, worst part is the old shrader valve thing wont re seal... so I can ****** remove the tool or anything.

Guess I'll be limping to a shop tomoro.. ugh