Tire balance issue? Or bad tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, so I needed to replace my og tires on my 2019, went with the Falken wildpeaks. Bought them off Amazon, as they were the best deal that no one could match around me.. so Monday, I went to a shop by my house that I only used once to have my wife's tire patched. So I decided that I would take my truck here because I could walk back home. Couple hours later, call me and tell me the trucknis done, great. On my way to work this morning I get on the highway and as soon as I hit 60 mph, truck is shaking.. now it feels like a balance issue and I'm not sure of thier balance machine but what is the off chance they are but tires? If the tires were out of round, wouldn't I feel it at mostly all speeds? Not sure if I want to take it back to them as the guys that were running the joint now seemed a little shady compared to the last guys that were there last time I went.. what say yous?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Take it back and give them one chance to make it good.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take it back and give them one chance to make it good.
Upon further review of my bill, they noted that both rear rims might be bent...... now this truck drove smooth as glass before this, so I doubt I have bent rims... aside from the fact that they didn't even tell me really solidifies the shadyness... going to call the ture place by my job that I've been to a couple time and see what they have to say..

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Bring it to the shop, but you ask to witness them spin all the tires in front of you on their balancer. If there are any bent rims, you'll see it immediately as they are spinning.

If they are a good tire shop, you'll also see the readout on the balancer and if they are balanced or not.

The other thing I've seen in the past are tires that have belt shifting issues right from the get go, brand new. You should also be able to see this when the tires are spinning (hop and/or wobble on the tires, and not a wobble on the rim)

If you are not confident in the first shop, eat it and go to another shop and pay to have them checked, but, you witness it.

Also, did you check the date code on those new tires as well? Sometimes those amazon deals are done to get rid of old dead stock that's been sitting around for a while. If they were stored incorrectly over a long period, or possibly abused whilst stored and/or in transit, it has potential to damage the tires and/or disturb their structural integrity.

I don't disagree that sometimes in these trying economic times one needs to hunt for a good deal, I do it a lot. However, when it comes to certain things, a great deal may be too good to be true, and with "new tires" from Amazon, one needs to be aware of what that deal may actually be stemming from.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bring it to the shop, but you ask to witness them spin all the tires in front of you on their balancer. If there are any bent rims, you'll see it immediately as they are spinning.

If they are a good tire shop, you'll also see the readout on the balancer and if they are balanced or not.

The other thing I've seen in the past are tires that have belt shifting issues right from the get go, brand new. You should also be able to see this when the tires are spinning (hop and/or wobble on the tires, and not a wobble on the rim)

If you are not confident in the first shop, eat it and go to another shop and pay to have them checked, but, you witness it.

Also, did you check the date code on those new tires as well? Sometimes those amazon deals are done to get rid of old dead stock that's been sitting around for a while. If they were stored incorrectly over a long period, or possibly abused whilst stored and/or in transit, it has potential to damage the tires and/or disturb their structural integrity.

I don't disagree that sometimes in these trying economic times one needs to hunt for a good deal, I do it a lot. However, when it comes to certain things, a great deal may be too good to be true, and with "new tires" from Amazon, one needs to be aware of what that deal may actually be stemming from.
I'm going to eat it and go to the shop I trust by my job. I was thinking of tge shifted belts or wobbly tires, but I don't feel anything until 60.. nothing before that, out of round tires should show something even at lower speeds.. but I will ask to witness the balancing at the other shop. I worked at a tire shop some 20 years ago, I know the thing we used to have to do to get bigger tires to balance properly including dismount and remount and rebalance. The deal I got wasn't that good, just better than any shop I went to to price match. They couldn't or wouldn't go near the price.. Best they were able to do was $20 over.. but that is also why I was weary about amazon.. just really frustrated that they said the rear rims might be bent.. and not say anything to me.. tells me they didn't want to do the job properly, since tge truck rode smooth as glass prior to this.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Avoid that shop even if you have to pay out of pocket to make it right. Sure, they may make it right in the end, but the fact that they didn't even notify you about possibly bent rims would be enough for me to stay away from them.

First thing I'd have done in your place is make sure the lug nuts are all tight.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get the shop you trust to check the rims. If they are bent, see if they can tell what caused it. Makes me very suspicious that the truck rode so smooth till you took it in and now you have two bent rims. Not knowing what you are doing taking tires off can cause that to happen if you are rough enough with the bead breaker.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get the shop you trust to check the rims. If they are bent, see if they can tell what caused it. Makes me very suspicious that the truck rode so smooth till you took it in and now you have two bent rims. Not knowing what you are doing taking tires off can cause that to happen if you are rough enough with the bead breaker.
Yeah, I'm thinking they aren't, but if they are, they had to have bent them.. I would have never bought the truck if it shook like it is.. and its strange they said just both rears might be bent... and I checked my tire pressure, my rears are 33, fronts are 45... wtf who does that?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yeah, I'm thinking they aren't, but if they are, they had to have bent them.. I would have never bought the truck if it shook like it is.. and its strange they said just both rears might be bent... and I checked my tire pressure, my rears are 33, fronts are 45... wtf who does that?
If you harboured any inclination to maybe give the first shop a second chance, the tire pressure thing pretty much seals that deal. Once you get it all figured out, A google review might help others not get shafted too. Let us know what the good shop has to say. Best of luck.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

Yikes... ridiculous air pressures!
I run 39psi to 40psi cold, front and rear (I think the door sticker says 39psi cold, all around).
Makes you feel like Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller did your tires while drinking moonshine!

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn't sound like a good shop at all. If they are shady to begin with, bringing them new Amazon tires to mount won't give them any incentive to do a good job.

It's kind of like bringing your own eggs to the Waffle House.

I brought my own Tire Rack tires to a shop many years ago. I never did it again though. But the shop was very professional and did a good job for me.

I've bought quite a few tires from them since, including the new Michelins on my Ram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you harboured any inclination to maybe give the first shop a second chance, the tire pressure thing pretty much seals that deal. Once you get it all figured out, A google review might help others not get shafted too. Let us know what the good shop has to say. Best of luck.
I stopped by the other shop on my way home from work, told them what happened, etched looked at me like wtf, are you serious? Went out to the truck real quick and came back and said it looks like the old weights are still on the rims, but he's not 100%. I'll take it in tomorrow, he said they will throw it on the balancer as is and see where it's at balance wise.

I told them, if it's the tires, then so be it, I'll return them. But if it's not, I'm going to be pissed. So we shall see what happens tomorrow.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Doesn't sound like a good shop at all. If they are shady to begin with, bringing them new Amazon tires to mount won't give them any incentive to do a good job.

It's kind of like bring your own eggs to the Waffle House. I brought my own Tire Rack tires to a shop many years ago. I never did it again though. But the shop was very professional and did a good job for me.

I've bought quite a few tires from them since, including the new Michelins on my Ram.
Yeah, I'm thinking they were like f him, it's his issue.. which is wrong.. when I worked as a tech, we never treated customers like that. They brought in thier own tires, we treated them the same as if they bought ours. I've honestly been contemplating getting my own tire machine and balancer to avoid the bs.. and I can use them to make a little money on the side... one thing I miss about working in a shop is being able to do these things myself..

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been able to get larger pickup tires to balance better with a bubble balancer over a spin balancer.

When I bought the Ram, I had a 70 mph bounce. Took it to two different places. Neither place took the old weights off before adding more. What a shaking mess they made.

I took it to the place I talked about earlier, and showed me where the truck had sat enough that the tires were out of round. They jacked it up, put it in gear, and it was oblivious of the high and low spots.

That's why I have new Michelins.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
One of the fun things when you by from Amazon or any other on line retailer is that when a problem occurs, nobody owns it. Service is everything and only a lot of luck is going to get the installer to take any responsibility.