Tire Balancing on lifted truck-(solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a 2016 RAM 1500 Express that has a Rough Country lift (think its 6in). This is my first RAM and lifted truck, and I am loving it very much. When I get up to 60-65 I get some moderate shaking in the steering wheel. I had the truck looked at by my local mechanic (because its used), and they said it looks great, everything is tight and firm underneath. Also, it only has 35k miles on it.

I thought maybe the tires needed to be balanced, so I took it to my local car mechanic. He said the tires were to big to get on his machine. I also tried COSTCO, Rice Tire, and called a few other places. No one would take the truck because of the tire size (or maybe the rim size?). I was recommended a local Off-Road shop that specializes in lifted trucks. They did the 4 wheel balance and after that it was 10 times worse. I was so depressed, I thought for sure a shop specializing in off road trucks would get it done right, but it rides horrible now.

I did some reading and there were many folks that recommended balance beads. I bought 4x 12oz bags of Counteract brand beads. I have not put them in yet, because I am not sure they will work. I read some folks say they do not work on wide tires.

Below are my tire/rim details. Anyone have experience with tires/rims like these? or balance beads? Any advice on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

2016 RAM 1500
Rough Country lift

Tires: NITRO GRABBER 35x12.5 R22
Rims: Fuel 22in

Also, on a side note the sticker on the door jam says tire pressure should be 39psi. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• 1002210948_HDR.jpg
    1002210948_HDR.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1002210948a.jpg
    1002210948a.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1002210948b.jpg
    1002210948b.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 68
  • 1002210948a_HDR.jpg
    1002210948a_HDR.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 64

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I hope that manny tape weights are not on all four corners.
but even for that one wheel you’ve shown is outside the acceptable. I really don't think you want one wheel that far from center. Beads are for tractor tires on the verge of Bigfoot

Try different rims and or tire combinations.
4.25 oz is a lot of weight
I think the rule is over four ounces you can ask for the tire to be replaced.
I’m assuming each wheel was balanced dynamically and static ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S7V7N

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope that manny tape weights are not on all four corners.
but even for that one wheel you’ve shown is outside the acceptable. I really don't think you want one wheel that far from center. Beads are for tractor tires on the verge of Bigfoot

Try different rims and or tire combinations.
4.25 oz is a lot of weight
I think the rule is over four ounces you can ask for the tire to be replaced.
I’m assuming each wheel was balanced dynamically and static ?

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the advice on the beads.... that is really what I wanted to know. I guess I'll keep hunting for a place that can balance them right.

I thought that was a lot of weight for one tire, so I decided to check the other tires. Below is a layout of how much weight on each wheel.
(not sure how much each square is)
Front left- 17 x squares / Front right - 4 x squares
Rear left - 4 x squares / Rear right - 18 x squares

I do not know how the off road shop balanced them... I was not impressed with their set up. They didn't even have a lift, just a guy jacking each tire up individually.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
For what it’s worth I’ve been running 37x12.5 Trail Grapplers for over 20,000 miles with beads in them. Would not hesitate to go that route again.

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Door sticker is stock size tires, which yours should have came with like 275/60/20 (33's), so 35's aren't that much of a difference. I run like 42 psi in my 35's on my 1500, but my factory size was 265/70/17 (31's), 4 inches is a big difference (that's what she said). The 2500 runs 60 psi with 275/70/18 (33's).

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Balancing Beads can be used in any tire but primarily they're used in the construction industry.
Each of the tape weights in your picture look like 1/4 oz
I believe 3.25 oz’s is the normal acceptable extreme.
Did you explain any offset you have with those particular wheels ?

OP
OP
S7V7N

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Balancing Beads can be used in any tire but primarily they're used in the construction industry.
Each of the tape weights in your picture look like 1/4 oz
I believe 3.25 oz’s is the normal acceptable extreme.
Did you explain any offset you have with those particular wheels ?
Sorry, I am not sure what the offset is. Im new to this type of setup.

Last edited:

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
i hope you get that issue resolved with your wheels. Could it also possibly be that you may need a new carrier bearing kit for lifted trucks? I was told higher than 4.5" may cause driveline vibrations. Good luck on your truck!

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I recently bought a 2016 RAM 1500 Express that has a Rough Country lift (think its 6in). This is my first RAM and lifted truck, and I am loving it very much. When I get up to 60-65 I get some moderate shaking in the steering wheel. I had the truck looked at by my local mechanic (because its used), and they said it looks great, everything is tight and firm underneath. Also, it only has 35k miles on it.

I thought maybe the tires needed to be balanced, so I took it to my local car mechanic. He said the tires were to big to get on his machine. I also tried COSTCO, Rice Tire, and called a few other places. No one would take the truck because of the tire size (or maybe the rim size?). I was recommended a local Off-Road shop that specializes in lifted trucks. They did the 4 wheel balance and after that it was 10 times worse. I was so depressed, I thought for sure a shop specializing in off road trucks would get it done right, but it rides horrible now.

I did some reading and there were many folks that recommended balance beads. I bought 4x 12oz bags of Counteract brand beads. I have not put them in yet, because I am not sure they will work. I read some folks say they do not work on wide tires.

Below are my tire/rim details. Anyone have experience with tires/rims like these? or balance beads? Any advice on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

2016 RAM 1500
Rough Country lift

Also, on a side note the sticker on the door jam says tire pressure should be 39psi. Does that sound right?
Ok,

If anyone tells you to use Beads--DONT! Beads are BS.. After about 50-300 miles they will be reduced to powder, then if there is any moisture in the tire from airing up, the beads will become mush.
Professional haulers etc. Do NOT use BEADS!
If you are truly having issues, use these: https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Light-Duty

I run them on my truck, and have run them on all my previous trucks...

If your tires and wheels are that out of wack, return them!
I had a similar issue with the commercial tires I run on my trucks (2500 & 3500) The wheels were checked without tires on them to determine if they were off, they were within a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. of balance.. We then mounted the tires and checked again, that is where everything went to ****! I had to return the tires and go with Coopers.

On another note, if you have spacers to put the wheels out there (WHICH THE TRUCK WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR) any problems you have in any of the suspension or steering will be multiplied the farther out from the hub you go. I really laugh at guys that drive around looking like a roller skate, I would figure that **** would go away when they graduated from high school, but I guess some people just like stupid ****. Remember with bigger wheels and tires, then adding wheel spacers will cause you issues down the road, be it wheel bearings, suspension and steering wear and tire wear. Same thing applies to lift kits that are not done properly.

Looks like the wheels and tires your running are WAY to big for your truck 38" 's??.. consider down sizing when your tires wear out--cause they will and quicker than you think..

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First check run out as it may be a bad tire or wheel
If good find some one with a road force balancer
On another note I had an 1981 D250 and I had to correct balance two rotors and one rear hub and drum assembly

OP
OP
S7V7N

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I just took the truck to the RAM dealer and they fit me in for another tire balance. I had high hopes it would work cause the guy said it balanced.

Sadly, the truck still vibrates from 60-70.

I am starting to think it may be something else.

I will take the truck to my local off road shop and have them look at other possible issues. Someone above mentioned the carrier bearing... Or possibly run out... No idea. I do not know enough about lifted trucks. :(

Thanks again all.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

2016 RAM 1500
Rough Country lift

You have to go to a shop that is used to balancing truck tires. I would dial it in by lug centric balancing

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@s7v7 please make sure they use black weights on those wheels with the wide open design

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got Centramatics on my 1500 though officially Centramatic claims they don't make anything for 5-lug 1500's. Clearance on the front brake caliper is tight. Been running them 6 years now with no problems.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

2016 RAM 1500
Rough Country lift

Now that i looked at it on a computer screen and not my phone, I can see you're due for new tires anyway. Uneven wear also shows they were not rotated enough or a bad alignment

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Those wheels are going to be tough to get a good dynamic done. Dynamic balancing requires adding weight to the the inside and the outside of the wheel in relation to the center line. The spokes / dish of that wheel goes almost to or to the center line. Most folks don't like weights on the outside edge of their custom wheels. Shops can set the balance machines for "1 side" but most machine manuals will tell you that will not result in the best balance and some wheel / tire combinations will not balance properly.

OP
OP
S7V7N

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those wheels are going to be tough to get a good dynamic done. Dynamic balancing requires adding weight to the the inside and the outside of the wheel in relation to the center line. The spokes / dish of that wheel goes almost to or to the center line. Most folks don't like weights on the outside edge of their custom wheels. Shops can set the balance machines for "1 side" but most machine manuals will tell you that will not result in the best balance and some wheel / tire combinations will not balance properly.

I think thats why the few shops I went to said they could not do it. Something to do with the hub sits so far back. (Note: I did not buy, these rims they came with the truck).

I am at my wits end.... should I just buy new rims?

OP
OP
S7V7N

S7V7N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that i looked at it on a computer screen and not my phone, I can see you're due for new tires anyway. Uneven wear also shows they were not rotated enough or a bad alignment
wow, you can tell that from the pic? The tires look brand new to me... I do not see any odd wear on any of the tires. But then again, lifted trucks with big tires are all new to me.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your 60-70 mph vibration constant, scales with wheel speed, only under throttle? That sounds a bit like a failing u-jount if it's mainly during acceleration.

Your tire pressure will also not be the factory pressure written on the door jam if you're using a non-factory tire size since the new tire's volume and load rating may be different. You can calculate a pressure estimate or just do a "chalk test" when you get new tires to determine how much pressure you need.
wow, you can tell that from the pic? The tires look brand new to me... I do not see any odd wear on any of the tires. But then again, lifted trucks with big tires are all new to me.
Brand new ridge grapplers look pretty thick, puc attached for reference. OP's tires are definitely near done. It seems they have accelerated wear on the insides as well, but I can't tell clearly either haha.

Attachments

• nittoridge_fe18339b-067a-4f67-9e62-79a5ff7ff781_1600x.jpg
    nittoridge_fe18339b-067a-4f67-9e62-79a5ff7ff781_1600x.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 9