Tire choices- staying stock size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The OEM Duratracs are pretty much half gone already on the PW (at 14000kms) so I know I will be tire shopping before too long. I have gone over dozens of threads and decided I wanted to make my own to keep all the info in one place. If I decided to stick with the Duratracs would going to an E rated tire make a difference? The duratracs I had on my other 2500 were e rated and lasted way longer, but I know that size is a determining factor too- so looking for anyone who tried this.

Another choice I had considered was the General Grabber ATX. Seem like a decent tire too. Any reviews on it? Bonus points for pictures on the PW [emoji16]

Availability around here is a big factor. Lots of awesome tires but the availability makes many cost prohibitive.

If anyone has some suggestions for a tire suited to deep snow, ice, -40° temps, rock, gravel, offroad, towing and pavement then I'm all ears! I have eliminated Toyos as they run nearly $600 a tire. The 3 peak symbol is a must as I travel to B.C. often during the winter.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can Canadians order via tirebuyer.com?

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the General Grabber ATX on my previous Chevy 4x4 a few years ago and I can only say they were a terrible road tire. The bad: very loud on highway and bumby at parking lot speed. The good: very hard compond, good offroad. I'm in the South USA, so never seen snow with them and they do wear fast on the road 30k maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
The after market dura tracs on mine in stock size seem to be holding up better than the ones that came on it. I had had the same question about an e rated and had toyed with the idea of a simple 295 70 17 in an e. would love to see what you go with...

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
E rated will likely last longer, but it depends a lot on the tread pattern. You’ll also get a harsher ride on washboard or irregular surfaces even at the same pressure because the E has a stiffer carcass.

BFG KO is a favorite of mine, I’ve used them on several trucks.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I have the same requirements for my next tire and I know you said Toyos are $600/tire but you didn't give a model... Not sure which model you looked at for $600/tire but I will likely be going with Toyo Open Country C/T's when my factory Duratracs wear down.

3 peak mountain symbol and all reveiws are positive with great wear and characteristics.

You might pay a little more early on, but people are easily getting 60K+ miles out of these.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's too bad that you have eliminated the Toyo's. Maybe online you can find a better deal. It took several weeks to get mine at $325 US and so I purchased 5 of them due to their complete lack of any quick delivery. The C/T's are newly available in the USA, having been sold previously in Canada.

I am scheduled to have them installed quite soon. The 3 ply carcass with the 3PMSF rating on my 35 12.50R17's Open Country C/T's aren't available with the majority of the Load Range E tires. The carcass is of a similar construction to their M/T. The 3 ply carcass is a must have here for our sharp volcanic rocks. The 3PMSF isn't required yet for a 4x4 in our very nearby state of Utah, but their traction law restrictions will quickly change after some major fatality 4x4 accident caused by some idiot running on bald street tires during winter conditions.2019_Chain_Card.png

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's too bad that you have eliminated the Toyo's. Maybe online you can find a better deal. It took several weeks to get mine at $325 US and so I purchased 5 of them due to their complete lack of any quick delivery. The C/T's are newly available in the USA, having been sold previously in Canada.

I am scheduled to have them installed quite soon. The 3 ply carcass with the 3PMSF rating on my 35 12.50R17's Open Country C/T's aren't available with the majority of the Load Range E tires. The carcass is of a similar construction to their M/T. The 3 ply carcass is a must have here for our sharp volcanic rocks. The 3PMSF isn't required yet for a 4x4 in our very nearby state of Utah, but their traction law restrictions will quickly change after some major fatality 4x4 accident caused by some idiot running on bald street tires during winter conditions.View attachment 224288
Its the A/T II AW I was looking at. It was mariginally more than the AT II Open Country. Apparently it's just tough to get at the dealers here- at least that's what I am told. Based on the tread life reports I was totally sold on them already. That said- the C/T has the 3PMSF symbol? I was told they didn't. That may change the whole game as those were definitely within a decent price range.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Its the A/T II AW I was looking at. It was mariginally more than the AT II Open Country. Apparently it's just tough to get at the dealers here- at least that's what I am told. Based on the tread life reports I was totally sold on them already. That said- the C/T has the 3PMSF symbol? I was told they didn't. That may change the whole game as those were definitely within a decent price range.

Yup, they have the 3PMSF symbol:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/toyo/open-country-c-t/p/TV190002253

$100 off right now too.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The OEM Duratracs are pretty much half gone already on the PW (at 14000kms) so I know I will be tire shopping before too long. I have gone over dozens of threads and decided I wanted to make my own to keep all the info in one place. If I decided to stick with the Duratracs would going to an E rated tire make a difference? The duratracs I had on my other 2500 were e rated and lasted way longer, but I know that size is a determining factor too- so looking for anyone who tried this.

Another choice I had considered was the General Grabber ATX. Seem like a decent tire too. Any reviews on it? Bonus points for pictures on the PW [emoji16]

Availability around here is a big factor. Lots of awesome tires but the availability makes many cost prohibitive.

If anyone has some suggestions for a tire suited to deep snow, ice, -40° temps, rock, gravel, offroad, towing and pavement then I'm all ears! I have eliminated Toyos as they run nearly $600 a tire. The 3 peak symbol is a must as I travel to B.C. often during the winter.

$600 a tire? In Canada? Toyos can be had for about half that, in US. Maybe worth a trip to cross boarder depending on how far from it you are. I'm running the Toyo OC CT. Started out as a Canada-only availability, from what I understand, now in US market too 3-Peak rated, albeit it has gotten mediocre reviews for performance in snow. I assume any tire in ice and snow will not perform well and in some areas chains are mandatory, as pointed out.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
$600 a tire? In Canada? Toyos can be had for about half that, in US. Maybe worth a trip to cross boarder depending on how far from it you are. I'm running the Toyo OC CT. Started out as a Canada-only availability, from what I understand, now in US market too 3-Peak rated, albeit it has gotten mediocre reviews for performance in snow. I assume any tire in ice and snow will not perform well and in some areas chains are mandatory, as pointed out.
Yup. My quote was $587.20 per tire installed. It was ridiculous. But that was the AT II AW, not the C/T. The C/T was WAY more reasonable but according to them was not available with the 3 peak symbol. Guess I should have looked it up first online [emoji1787]

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 35" C/T's are 34.74 inches tall and so it will be a tough fit as a spare underneath. I am going to use one of my old 34.06" (when new) tires as one instead.20201011_121218.jpg 20201011_121141.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your requirements, I would not shy away from the duratrac again, but would certainly go for the e rated version in the stock size...not sure why the hell they even used the d rated version in the first place. Stupid.

I am running the Falken at3w’s in a 35x12.5 and they have been great. Even at their width they are still pretty decent in the northern mi winters. Very cost effective tire.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yup. My quote was $587.20 per tire installed. It was ridiculous. But that was the AT II AW, not the C/T. The C/T was WAY more reasonable but according to them was not available with the 3 peak symbol. Guess I should have looked it up first online [emoji1787]

Toyo's Web site say CT is 3-peak rated. I wonder if that is not the case in the Canadian market? My guess is winters up there are harder and longer than down here.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
To the OP, check out the Kanati Trail Hogs, basically a copy of the Goodyear Dura Trac that are so popular in snow country BUT, they are 10ply w/3ply sidewalls AND are snow rated/snowflake stamped..
Plus they cost about a third less than the Goodyears, I think I paid about $240ea. on-line for 37 x 12.5 17`s
I live in the mtns abound 7k ft and they work great in snow/ice, plus they also work very well on our local mtn trails...

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
California, Nevada, and Colorado all have implemented a 3/16" (6/32") minimum tread tire depth traction law of which I drive through these states in winter. It's unfortunate that all of my truck's tires are currently at 5/32" and probably would run fine in snow. Might as well meet the snow requirements with starting out at 19.3/32" with a brand new set. Don't want for someone else to slide into me and then sue me for not meeting the traction laws.

The 3PMSF is an added bonus although mud is an issue around here at our 6,000 to 11,000 feet elevation. I too read the reviews on the Toyo C/T. It's not a snow tire, but has the 3PMSF to comply with the traction laws of Oregon of which I drive through too. Nothing is worse than not moving and staying put in a little town with all the motels entirely full when you don't comply with the road regulations.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tagged for future.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 35" C/T's are 34.74 inches tall and so it will be a tough fit as a spare underneath. I am going to use one of my old 34.06" (when new) tires as one instead.View attachment 224306 View attachment 224307
it shows the same size as the R/T Toyo in 35x12.5-17 and mine were not actually 34.76 tall. They will be around 34" tall mounted on an 8.5" wide wheel. I suppose if you air them up to max psi they will be taller but ran mine low 30's psi and off the rig about 34 and on 33.5.