Tire choices- staying stock size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
so they run a bit small like the AT series. I was hoping they would be height similar to the Toyo MT vs the AT's.

It's the exact same 34.8" (34.76") height as the Toyo Open Country M/T 35 12.50R17. The M/T is 13.2" wide and the Open Country C/T is 12.5". The Toyo Open Country R/T's are also the same height as both the M/T and C/T, but they are 12.5" wide.

The AEV ProCal increments to set the speedometer are 0.25". The mounted height is somewhat greater than 33.00". 33.25" might get the speedometer calibrated even more precise. I chose 33.00" and so at the 80 MPH speed limits, it's probably closer to doing 81 MPH plus. Dead on for my driving requirements.

The Toyo Open Country AT3 tires are 34.53" tall unmounted. These are shorter.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the exact same 34.8" (34.76") height as the Toyo Open Country M/T 35 12.50R17. The M/T is 13.2" wide and the Open Country C/T is 12.5". The Toyo Open Country R/T's are also the same height as both the M/T and C/T, but they are 12.5" wide.

The AEV ProCal increments to set the speedometer are 0.25". The mounted height is somewhat greater than 33.00". 33.25" might get the speedometer calibrated even more precise. I chose 33.00" and so at the 80 MPH speed limits, it's probably closer to doing 81 MPH plus. Dead on for my driving requirements.

The Toyo Open Country AT3 tires are 34.53" tall unmounted. These are shorter.
you are citing Toyo specs I not actual measured by the end user specs. I have had several sets of Toyos and none of them have measured what Toyo specs. my AT2's, RT's and AT3's (all 35x12.5-17 were no where near Toyos specified height but the RT was the closest. The AT2 and AT3 quite a bit shorter then listed. Toyos spec state tire height mounted and inflated.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
you are citing Toyo specs I not actual measured by the end user specs. I have had several sets of Toyos and none of them have measured what Toyo specs. my AT2's, RT's and AT3's (all 35x12.5-17 were no where near Toyos specified height but the RT was the closest. The AT2 and AT3 quite a bit shorter then listed. Toyos spec state tire height mounted and inflated.

The distance between the rear of the hitch and the rear bar is the height. The new C/T spare tire is against the hitch and is light rubbing some of the black paint off of the bar. It fits within a 34.125" space. So it's far shorter than Toyo's 34.76".

20201011_121218.jpg 20201011_121141.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just tow plowed 12" of fresh snow with the 35 inch Toyo C/T's on about 1/4 mile of my private dirt road. Quite happy to report that they performed excellent in deep snow at 16 degrees Fahrenheit. No slip or sliding. Quite sure footed.View attachment 225577 View attachment 225578 View attachment 225579

OK, well you convinced me the C/T's are going to be my next purchase. The 35x12.5 fit on the stock 8 wide rim fine? And I know this answer is here somewhere, but do I need to buy something to change the tire size to keep the speedo etc right? Depending on the price of that, I may just stick with stock size as they have that, but 35's sure would be nice.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
OK, well you convinced me the C/T's are going to be my next purchase. The 35x12.5 fit on the stock 8 wide rim fine? And I know this answer is here somewhere, but do I need to buy something to change the tire size to keep the speedo etc right? Depending on the price of that, I may just stick with stock size as they have that, but 35's sure would be nice.

smurfs_of war.

Yes, 35 12.50R17 Toyo Open Country C/T's fit on the stock 8" wide rim fine.

It fits into the spare location by pushing up and out of the way the wire harnesses. Studded C/T's won't fit due to it is as tight as it can be.

For my 2016 I purchased the AEV ProCal to reset my speedometer.

Our speed limits are 80 MPH (130 KPH) not far from my home at the Colorado state line near Moab, Utah. The 35" tires lowered the RPM to a much more pleasant quieter engine sound at 80 MPH both in tow mode when towing and when not towing versus the OEM 33". It's a much more capable vehicle in maintaining the higher highway speeds with the 35" tires due to it no longer revs the holy crap out of it to do so.

Last edited:

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Today only Discount has 10% off tires if you buy certs. Not necessarily an amazing deal as you can usually get them to come down on tires/certs or both, just passing it along. Though, their store channel website only allows you to buy fitments that match OE sizing. To get something like a 35x12.5 you'd need to go to Discount Tire Direct, the mail order division and then take those tires back to the shop for install. Kinda silly, but their stores are closed and it's today only. FYI if you're interested...

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ressurecting this thread. Punched a 2"x3/4" perfectly dagger shaped rock through the lug of the Duratrac yesterday. I have it patched and plugged for now, but I know the size and location of that hole meant the tire was on it's deathbed.

So, contrary to what I said earlier, I actually ordered a set of Toyo AT III's in stock size instead of C/T's because they intrigued me enough and ended up being $30 CDN/tire cheaper to get. Our local wrench twister gets the toyos here (he wasn't able to before) and got them for $328 CDN a tire!

Now the wait. Hopefully will be installed on Friday.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk