Tire Day - The day I have been dreading...

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Per M, I've had Bridgestone Duelers on 2 vehicles and never got more than 40,000 miles on them. I switched to Michelin AT2's on one vehicle and have 66,758 miles on those tires and still have approx. 5/32 of tread left. The other vehicle was a 2016 Ram 1500 and I put Michelin Defender LTX and had about 50,000 on those when I traded it for my 2020 and the tires still looked like new. Price wise, the Michelin and the Bridgestone pricing is about the same and Discount Tire so for the money and the mileage, I'd suggest the Defender.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would highly recommend the Toyo Open Country A/T III especially here in MA. Great tire plus they they are 3 peak rated meaning they are severe snow.
My truck ('18 Rebel) came with the Toyo OC A/T II's stock, and I mis-ordered III's recently to replace. They don't seem to have as much sticktion as the II's did. My II's needed 50k to start "breaking free" in the rain in the south. My new III's broke free on the onramp to the interstate after only like 2k wear. There is a chance that that was just bad timing (IE the rain might have just started, I don't remember), but I have just felt the III's don't quite grab as hard as the II's did.

That being said, the III's do seem to have "worn in" a little, and are doing better, but they also look to be wearing a lot more. My II's like I said made it over 50k before I broke down. The III's look like I have had them for a while, but it's only been like 6-8k since January.

Reactions: MMM

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have generals myself. Extra load tires. About 10,000 miles and no problems yet.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can not compare the tires that come with the truck from the factory to ones you buy at the stores or even dealer. Factory tires are all junk and aimed at ride quality instead of wear and handling. Even the Michelin tires that come oem on Toyotas barely last 20k miles, where as the ones you can buy will easily outlast that going 60k or more.
I'll have to say that my 2019 Laramie 4x4 came with Falken Wildpeak AT3 275 55 20 tires and I now have 55-k on them with smooth even ware. I pull travel trailer with the truck and have had zero issues. The tires are quite and run smooth so I'd have to say that not all tires from the factory are junk!

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Falken Wildpeak tire is priced well. I just wonder about longevity.

I may give them a try.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m running Continental terrain contact HT. Less than 200 miles on them but handle dry and wet road fine.
How is the ride and how is the noise? Are they quiet and comfortable on the highway?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How is the ride and how is the noise? Are they quiet and comfortable on the highway?
Very quite, I keep them at 40 psi and to me the ride is very comfortable.

Also, they have a 45 day trial, since I like them, I haven’t looked into it.

Last edited:

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can not compare the tires that come with the truck from the factory to ones you buy at the stores or even dealer. Factory tires are all junk and aimed at ride quality instead of wear and handling. Even the Michelin tires that come oem on Toyotas barely last 20k miles, where as the ones you can buy will easily outlast that going 60k or more.
My '09 Civic came with Michelins from factory, and they ran great for ~60k, then I replaced them with Conti ProContacts (My sister works for Conti, so I got a deal), THOSE were horrible tires. Rode like shit, performed like shit, loud. The Michelins from factory were good tires.

My ram came with Toyo AT II's, and they were great tires until about 45k (40k rated I think), when they started to lose traction in the rain. The III's I replaced them with as I goofed the order are not as good IMHO. SOME factory tires suck. Not all do.